Cowboys draft Ezekiel Elliott, Get a grade D for it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just not sound strategy to pick a running back that high. Good impactful starting backs can be found in later rounds, and offenses just aren't built around running backs anymore. The Cowboys could have their choice of impact players at more important positions at that spot in the draft. The fact that they hit home runs in the first round with Tiny Dorsett 49 years ago, and Emmit Smith over 20 years ago is completely irrelevant in 2016.

I don't think it was an awful pick...but they could have gotten their back much later while improving their defense with the #4 pick.

Great pick for the Cowboys. He is best blocking RB that I have watched in a while, and protecting Romo will be important. Makes offense really good again if people are healthy. In my opinion best RB we have watched come out in some time. They will address defense and maybe get a steal with guy from UCLA with the 3rd pick in the second round.

Rotoworld had him rated as the 2nd best player at any position in the draft. Yahoo shutdown corner gave them a B+. They needed a corner, probably the kid from Florida ST., but they just put the best back in the draft behind the best OL in the NFL.

As a Cowboys fan I'm torn. Hated the pick last night, was almost cussing the TV. This morning I am trying to come to grips with it. Don't get me wrong, I think Zeke can be a monster and get this Cowboys offense rolling again like it was a couple of years ago. BUT, with the recent signing of Alfred Morris, and with DMC coming off his best season in years I think the Boys' could have got good production out of them this year as well.

My personal strategy is not to draft a RB in first round, no matter how good he is. The fact that it was with a top 5 pick kills me. Waaaaaay too rich for my taste. Jalen Ramsey fell right in their lap and they passed for a running back, still can't believe it. Carr and Claibornes contracts end after this season, Scandrick is coming off a torn ACL. Pairing Ramsey with Byron Jones would have solidified this secondary for years to come and the defense needs more playmakers.

People knock on Ramseys lack of takeaways but fact of the matter is it's hard to get takeaways when they don't throw your way.

Jalen Ramsey :(

McFadden had a good year for the Cowboys last year, running for appox. 1100 yards at a 4.6 yds per carry clip, plus had pretty good receiving numbers as well. I wonder if they try to trade him.

As a Cowboys fan I'm torn. Hated the pick last night, was almost cussing the TV. This morning I am trying to come to grips with it. Don't get me wrong, I think Zeke can be a monster and get this Cowboys offense rolling again like it was a couple of years ago. BUT, with the recent signing of Alfred Morris, and with DMC coming off his best season in years I think the Boys' could have got good production out of them this year as well.

My personal strategy is not to draft a RB in first round, no matter how good he is. The fact that it was with a top 5 pick kills me. Waaaaaay too rich for my taste. Jalen Ramsey fell right in their lap and they passed for a running back, still can't believe it. Carr and Claibornes contracts end after this season, Scandrick is coming off a torn ACL. Pairing Ramsey with Byron Jones would have solidified this secondary for years to come and the defense needs more playmakers.

People knock on Ramseys lack of takeaways but fact of the matter is it's hard to get takeaways when they don't throw your way.

Jalen Ramsey :(

THANK YOU COWBOYS!

They gave them a D because it was a stupid pick. Don't get be wrong I think Elliot is a top 5 talent in this draft, but this day and age with how running backs are used and their shelf life its too high. I do think he will do very well behind that line and produce very well. The Cowboys needed defensive help and now they have to work on that the rest of the way. Not only that but next year's crop of running backs will be even better than this one. I'm very happy they took him, Jacksonville got the best player in the draft because of it.