50 Greatest Programs in Kentucky History Part III (11-20)

Continuing with our list of the 50 greatest high school basketball programs in Kentucky history, today we are looking at #20-11 . As was mentioned in both previous threads, this is based on a formula that awards teams a certain amount of points for district titles, region titles, state tournament game wins, and state championships. District and region championships date to 1927, state championship records to 1918.

In case of ties, the team with the most state championships gets the better ranking. If that number is the same, I added the total number of district, region, and state championships together and the highest number gets the better ranking.

This is the third of four posts on the topic. Check back tomorrow for the top 10.

Part I - http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-boys-basketball/50-greatest-programs-325258.html

Part II - http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-boys-basketball/50-greatest-programs-325286.html

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20. Christian County Colonels (123 points)

District Championships: 31

Region Championships: 18

State Tournament Game Wins: 17

State Championships: 1 (2011)

19. Maysville Bulldogs (138 points) - closed

District Championships: 36

Region Championships: 17

State Tournament Game Wins: 21

State Championships: 1 (1947)

18. Mason County Royals (139 points)

District Championships: 36

Region Championships: 15

State Championships: 2 (2003, 2008)

17. Central Yellowjackets (139 points)

District Championships: 46

Region Championships: 10

State Championships: 2 (1969, 1974)

16. Manual Crimsons (139 points)

District Championships: 16

Region Championships: 8

State Tournament Game Wins: 29

State Championships: 4 (1921, 1923, 1925, 1931)

15. Pleasure Ridge Park Panthers (140 points)

District Championships: 35

Region Championships: 14

State Tournament Game Wins: 24

State Championships: 1 (1989)

14. Shelby County Rockets (142 points)

District Championships: 38

Region Championships: 17

State Tournament Game Wins: 20

State Championships: 2 (1966, 1978)

13. Paducah Tilghman Blue Tornado (148 points)

District Championships: 60

Region Championships: 23

State Tournament Game Wins: 14

State Championships: 0

12. Lafayette Generals (154 points)

District Championships: 16

Region Championships: 12

State Tournament Game Wins: 28

State Championships: 6 (1942, 1950, 1953, 1957, 1979, 2001)

11. Scott County Cardinals (160 points)

District Championships: 41

Region Championships: 14

State Tournament Game Wins: 27

State Championships: 2 (1998, 2007)

I think maybe more weight should be placed on State Tournament appearances, wins, and Region and State Championships. It appears that Paducah Tilghman gets their ranking based on District Championships rather than Region or State accomplishments. I think that may say more about the district than the dominance of the program (nothing against Paducah Tilghman). Just looking at how they get ranked.

I think maybe more weight should be placed on State Tournament appearances, wins, and Region and State Championships. It appears that Paducah Tilghman gets their ranking based on District Championships rather than Region or State accomplishments. I think that may say more about the district than the dominance of the program (nothing against Paducah Tilghman). Just looking at how they get ranked.

I live no where near PT. But 23 Region titles is pretty impressive to me

I'd love to see what Shelby County's weighted ranking would be if one were to account for district and regional titles by Shelbyville, Waddy and Bagdad, since their attendance zones would (for the most part) still be in the Shelby Co. district even after Collins High School was built.

I'd love to see what Shelby County's weighted ranking would be if one were to account for district and regional titles by Shelbyville, Waddy and Bagdad, since their attendance zones would (for the most part) still be in the Shelby Co. district even after Collins High School was built.

Send me a PM and I'll get that information to you tonight.

Just curious, where do you find the information on district championships. I was able to find all the state tournament stats and regional championship winners online but couldn't find the district numbers.

Research my friend! :sssh:

Actually, there is a fantastic website a guy on BGP runs that has all the past tournament scores (I'd link it, but I'm not at my home computer) and there was a book published a couple years ago with the same information. I compiled that into files at home - I've got every tournament scores for every school that has ever existed in Kentucky.