Jason Strader Out at Russell

Ramblings from the Ol' Broadcaster: Strader Out at Russell

Strader Out at Russell:eek:

Sometimes I hate getting emails. I got 2 today that made me kinda sad. The first from Anna Chaffin the principal at Russell High School. It read as follows:

Upon a mutual agreement, Jason Strader will not be returning as Head Boys’ Basketball Coach at Russell High School for the 2016-17 school year. This decision was made at the year-end evaluation meeting with Mr. Strader. Coach Strader was always a great role model for our student-athletes here at Russell High School and an impressionable ambassador for the Russell Independent School District. We wish him and his wonderful family nothing but the best.

Then I got another just a bit later from Coach Strader:

I would like to thank Mr. Horne, Mrs. Chaffin and Mr. Sparks for the opportunity to lead the RHS boy’s basketball program this past season. My family and I have the upmost respect for the RISD administration and the community, and we truly appreciate the support they have given us this year. At the conclusion of the season, my sons expressed their wish to have me more involved in their academic and athletic activities moving forward. I love coaching and have a strong passion for being in the gym year round to help kids improve their skills. But I am a loving father first and foremost, and LaBryant and Jaylan’s happiness is very important to me. After consulting with my wife and the administration, both parties agreed I would not return as the head coach of the boy’s basketball program. This decision was based on what was in the best interest of my family and the RHS boy’s basketball program moving forward. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Russell, and I feel strongly this program is on the cusp of returning to respectability in the 16th region. I would like to thank my players for their effort on the floor, in the classroom, and in the community. I was truly blessed to lead this group of fine young men during the 2015-16 season.

Sincerely,

Jason A Strader

Upmost? And they returned most of the previous years team. So, not buying the down cycle. Good luck to Mr. Stader where ever he lands. The next coach will be in a similar situation, and I wish him luck as well.

Was Russell not in a similar situation Dodd's last year? Wasn't Skaggs, a 7th grader, the starting point guard? When Kidwell took over, they struggled for a while. It was just a cycle. Not saying it's bad. Just saying that every school goes through a cycle where the talent, unfortunately isn't there. Not that there aren't good players, sometimes, as a whole, it's just not there. Again, I wish nothing but the best for Russell (all but when they play Ashland). :)

I've always liked Jason, even more so after reading his letter. It's a bad situation for Russell but it shows good character from Jason to be honest about the situation and his decision to commit more time to his family. I know his record doesn't show it, but I really believe he could have gotten Russell back on track over time. I'm not sure where Russell goes from here?

I find the Russell administration in a very difficult situation. At this time last year, they made the decision to go in a different direction with their basketball program. After a short interview process, they found who they thought was going to be the answer to their problems.

Now a year later they are again looking for a new coach. My question is "Does Russell look for another young coach or go with a veteran coach?"

This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I don't see how they could bring him back. I believe he does still teach there. I think he is planning on teaching at Greenup next year. I don't think they can or will hire him back to coach. JMO I hope they do find a good fit for the program. It is a good place to be, teach, and coach. Good luck to whomever they choose. I would like to know a list of candidates.

I don't see how they could bring him back. I believe he does still teach there. I think he is planning on teaching at Greenup next year. I don't think they can or will hire him back to coach. JMO I hope they do find a good fit for the program. It is a good place to be, teach, and coach. Good luck to whomever they choose. I would like to know a list of candidates.

Where on God's green earth do you get your information? Or do you just make this stuff up?

Actually, I heard it from someone who teaches at Greenup. I'm not one who would just go on here and make stuff up. My info is either first hand or second hand. In this case it's second hand. However, this person might have had incorrect info, not sure. I will try and verify my info.

Actually, I heard it from someone who teaches at Greenup. I'm not one who would just go on here and make stuff up. My info is either first hand or second hand. In this case it's second hand. However, this person might have had incorrect info, not sure. I will try and verify my info.
Well I heard it from Merle, he's not teaching at Greenup. So, squash that one when you hear it next.