Transfers impacting Regional Champions

As I was looking over the Sweet 16 bracket, I was struck by how many teams have impact players who have transferred into the schools who will be at Rupp next week. Just going in order of the games played:

Buckhorn (Don't know of any but not well educated on Buckhorn)

Murray - Zach Flener (formerly of West Jessamine. Transferred when his dad got a position in the district)

Trinity (no idea but probably a safe assumption there are several transfers on their roster.

Newport Central Catholic (ditto for Trinity above)

Bowling Green - Thomas Booker (moved in before this season)

Elliot County (Don't know of any but not well educated on Elliott)

Dunbar - Taveion Hollingsworth (moved from Bryan Station district before high school) Believe Dontell Brown did also but don't know that for sure.

Mercer County - Malik Dow (Moved from Ballard to Mercer before last season) - Dylan James (Moved from Sheldon Clark before season started when his dad got a job in the district)

Lawrence County - Dalton brothers moved over from West Virginia a couple of years ago.

Doss - Have several transfers (both into and out of the program for the last year)

South Laurel - Caleb Taylor (from small school before last season)

Christian County - Jaylen Sebree (from UHA before this season)

Mason County (Don't know of any but not well educated on Mason)

Taylor County - David Sloan (Moved with Coach Gatewood 2 years ago). Dylan Gaines (moved from Warren East before the season)

South Oldham/Owensboro Catholic (know nothing about either team)

My point being, at least 9 of the 16 teams have impact players who are transfers into their school over the last 1-3 year period.

At this point, do you think this is a trend that will inevitably continue? Who is to blame for all of these transfers? Parents? Coaches recruiting? Kids wanting to play with friends? Evil AAU coaches?

Or am I just crazy and this season is an outlier?

Hopefully this can bring some good discussion.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I was looking over the Sweet 16 bracket, I was struck by how many teams have impact players who have transferred into the schools who will be at Rupp next week. Just going in order of the games played:

Murray - Zach Flener (formerly of West Jessamine. Transferred when his dad got a position in the district)

Trinity (no idea but probably a safe assumption there are several transfers on their roster.

Dunbar - Taveion Hollingsworth (moved from Bryan Station district before high school) Believe Dontell Brown did also but don't know that for sure.

Mercer County - Malik Dow (Moved from Ballard to Mercer before last season)

Dylan James (Moved from Sheldon Clark before season started when his dad got a job in the district)

Lawrence County - Dalton brothers moved over from West Virginia a couple of years ago.

Doss - Have several transfers (both into and out of the program for the last year)

Taylor County - David Sloan (Moved with Coach Gatewood 2 years ago). Dylan Gaines (moved from Warren East before the season)

My point being, at least 9 of the 16 teams have impact players who are transfers into their school over the last 1-3 year period.

At this point, do you think this is a trend that will inevitably continue? Who is to blame for all of these transfers? Parents? Coaches recruiting? Kids wanting to play with friends? Evil AAU coaches?

Dalton Brothers have been at Lawrence Co. before high school.

Mercer County - Malik Dow (Moved from Ballard to Mercer before last season)

Dylan James (Moved from Sheldon Clark before season started when his dad got a job in the district)

Referring to the green part of the quote. Not a single one but there is a transfer playing at Doss that started at Trinity.

Left during the summer? Don't ALL kids leave school during the summer?:idunno:

Valid and funny comment. When Lawrence County played summer ball, he left and played for a school in WV. Then he returned to Lawrence County and played this season. I doubt he ever enrolled at that school because it was summer ball but he did go and play for another school then come back.

Sort of like when Quentin Snider played summer ball before his freshman year with Eastern then showed up at Ballard when school started. Obviously different circumstances but hopefully that's a decent example.