Are you watching one of the greatest stories in the history of team sports???

mexitucky

I know that most of you do not follow soccer. I am about to give you a big reason why you should. Leicester City, ever heard of them? They are a soccer team in the Barclay's Premier League (England) that is writing an absolutely incredible story.

European soccer is VERY capitalistic, like Major League Baseball. Where MLB has 3 or 4 teams that will spend with anyone, European soccer is filled with them. Teams spending over 100 million pounds each offseason on players is the EXPECTATION for teams wanting to get into contention for their domestic league titles. To win Champion's League, teams spend up to a 1/4 billion (even then, only 5 times realistically have a shot at it each year.) Well in the midst of all of this comes Leicester City. A team with a roster filled with players from lower leagues and castoffs being managed by a coach who was written off years ago. Their leading scorer was playing in a beer league, basically, 4 years ago. It is amazing, akin, in my opinion, to a AAA baseball team winning the World Series.

They currently sit in first place, and if they beat Arsenal this weekend, will have a fairly large lead heading into the last 3 months of the season. Below is the cost of their roster versus the other 3 teams in contention for the title. For all fans of small market teams, this is a group to root for.

Leicester squad cost compared Man City Spurs Arsenal - ESPN FC

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a big sports fan, I've heard a few bits on this & everybody loves an underdog (unless its your opponent). However, I'm not up on soccer (futball), beyond occasional Olympics or World Cup viewing. That's even more about patriotism & pageantry of the event. This sounds like a cool story.

I've always wanted to know, in fairly simple terms, how the whole league set ups work in Europe . . . seems like they play year around & there is some kind of title game every few months. Also, don't they have a system where teams stay in the upper league based on records? The concept interests me, would be cool to see how it could be applied to MLB or NBA.

Being a big sports fan, I've heard a few bits on this & everybody loves an underdog (unless its your opponent). However, I'm not up on soccer (futball), beyond occasional Olympics or World Cup viewing. That's even more about patriotism & pageantry of the event. This sounds like a cool story.

I've always wanted to know, in fairly simple terms, how the whole league set ups work in Europe . . . seems like they play year around & there is some kind of title game every few months. Also, don't they have a system where teams stay in the upper league based on records? The concept interests me, would be cool to see how it could be applied to MLB or NBA.

1. Relegation - If you are in lower leagues, and finish in the top 3, you move up a league higher. If you finish in the bottom 3, you move down. That translates into MILLIONS due to TV revenue sharing.

2. Most leagues are August-May

3. The teams play their "playoffs", i.e. cups, during the season. They will take a break from regular season games for a week to fit a "cup tie" in. On top of that, teams can qualify for European leagues, depending on how good your league is your league may be able to qualify up to 4 teams for each league (Champion's League being the best. This is the league where the top teams from each league compete in a season long league along with their local league and local tournaments.) Needless to say, with no limit on roster sizes, richer teams can build up a pretty deep squad to cover all of these games.

I know that most of you do not follow soccer. I am about to give you a big reason why you should. Leicester City, ever heard of them? They are a soccer team in the Barclay's Premier League (England) that is writing an absolutely incredible story.

European soccer is VERY capitalistic, like Major League Baseball. Where MLB has 3 or 4 teams that will spend with anyone, European soccer is filled with them. Teams spending over 100 million pounds each offseason on players is the EXPECTATION for teams wanting to get into contention for their domestic league titles. To win Champion's League, teams spend up to a 1/4 billion (even then, only 5 times realistically have a shot at it each year.) Well in the midst of all of this comes Leicester City. A team with a roster filled with players from lower leagues and castoffs being managed by a coach who was written off years ago. Their leading scorer was playing in a beer league, basically, 4 years ago. It is amazing, akin, in my opinion, to a AAA baseball team winning the World Series.

They currently sit in first place, and if they beat Arsenal this weekend, will have a fairly large lead heading into the last 3 months of the season. Below is the cost of their roster versus the other 3 teams in contention for the title. For all fans of small market teams, this is a group to root for.

Leicester squad cost compared Man City Spurs Arsenal - ESPN FC

If you are going to talk soccer, shouldn't this be in the controversial forum? :lol2:

Cool story, sounds like the movie Major League.

Not possible to have a great story like this in the United States, thanks to the greedy, short-sighted buffoons in MLS and the USSF. Sorry, had to get that out of the way.

It's an amazing story and it's been a real joy to follow them. They play a fun style and score goals all over the place. If a small team could sneak up and actually pull this off, I really hope it's them.

Such haste, I'm surprised by these actions.

At least we don't pull for one of "The Big Boys". I would not be upset if the Foxes win the league, I think their remaining schedule of matches will make it hard for anyone to overtake them.

I love the Reds. Following one of the big boys isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I really like the Spurs. If Levy doesn't go Levy, they have a chance to be top 4 for a long time.

Really enjoying their run. Someone else mentioned Spurs and they are playing well. Of course the free-fall at Chelsea, City's inability to beat anyone good and the struggles of Man U and Liverpool (will they ever get back) have made for something of a topsy-turvy Premier League.

Really enjoying their run. Someone else mentioned Spurs and they are playing well. Of course the free-fall at Chelsea, City's inability to beat anyone good and the struggles of Man U and Liverpool (will they ever get back) have made for something of a topsy-turvy Premier League.

Liverpool has wins over City, Leicester, and they've tied Arsenal twice, and Spurs once. Out of 18 possible points so far from the top 4, they've taken 9. Not too terribly bad. It is against teams that they should beat, and have beat, that they struggle. I believe that they have given up the tying or losing goal in the final 10 minutes 7 times this year. THEN they resign Mignolet. If they don't get two more Centerbacks they will be in the same boat. Sturridge healthy makes them a top 4 quality team. He's one of the best players in the Premier League. Of course, he is NEVER healthy.

Not possible to have a great story like this in the United States, thanks to the greedy, short-sighted buffoons in MLS and the USSF. Sorry, had to get that out of the way.

It's an amazing story and it's been a real joy to follow them. They play a fun style and score goals all over the place. If a small team could sneak up and actually pull this off, I really hope it's them.

I entered the thread not realizing it was going to be about soccer.

I stayed for the bold...