10th Region Rankings & Weekly Review (2-7-16)

We've got a new #1, new #2, new #3, new #4, and new #5 this week.

Such is life in the 2015-16 10th Region.

#1 - Campbell County (14-11)

Three more wins last week and now the Camels have won 6 straight. On Tuesday night, Matt Wilson scored 20 points and grabbed 18 rebounds in a 55-39 victory at Harrison County. The Camels defense locked down the Breds, holding the hosts to 27.6% FG shooting. The next night Aric Russell's club got 16 points and 10 boards from Wilson, as well as 10 points apiece from Garren Bertsch and Cole Hegyi in a 78-37 rout of visiting Bellevue. The Camels wrapped up the week by outlasting Newport on the road 61-57. Wilson topped the winners with 24 points on 10-13 FG shooting and 4-4 FT shooting. Hegyi chipped in with 10 points.

#2 - Paris (18-4)

The return of Koebe Garrard to the lineup helped the Greyhounds to an impressive 3-0 finish last week. The 6'3" senior scored 18 points in Wednesday's 56-48 home win against Bryan Station. Eric Johnson added 16 and Jekobi Wells 12 for Paris, who outscored the Defenders 19-10 in the 4th quarter. Garrard scored a game-high 23 points in the Hounds' 61-60 OT win at Montgomery County on Friday. James Clark scored 12 points, Wells had 10, but it was Marcus Ashford's shot at the buzzer that helped Terence Brooks and company beat MoCo for the second time this season on the game's final play. A dozen Paris players scored in Saturday's 76-53 romp of Western Hills in Franklin County's Gary Moore Classic, led by Johnson's 18 and Ashford's 10.

#3 - Montgomery County (16-9)

The Indians had mixed results last week, with both games coming against 40th District competition. Montgomery trailed Bourbon County 33-25 on the road Tuesday night, but then rallied to outscore the Colonels 35-21 in the 2nd half, winning 60-54. Caswell Fuller notched 18 points to lead in the win, while Jerryd Jones returned to the lineup and tallied 16 points. Art Walker and Cody Parsley scored 11 and 10 points, respectively. On Friday night, visiting Paris again defeated Matt Daniel's squad on a last-second shot, winning 61-60 in overtime. Fuller's 22 points led in defeat and big man Shelby Combs added 15.

#4 - Bishop Brossart (17-6)

The Mustangs played all 3 of their games away from home last week, finishing 1-2. Mike Code's team lost 54-49 at Augusta on Tuesday despite getting 23 points from Jackson Crawford. Two nights later Crawford put up 31 points in a 62-52 defeat of Pendleton County. Joey Hickman added 12 points and 9 rebounds, while Logan Schultz earned 10 points. On Saturday, Brossart jumped out 12-3 on Newport Central Catholic after the 1st quarter, but the Breds controlled the Stangs from then on, winning by the low score of 36-30. No Brossart players earned double figures in the loss.

#5 - Mason County (16-7)

Conner Sweeney scored a career-high 32 points in Mason County's only outing last week--a 68-62 victory at George Rogers Clark. The hosts led the Royals 45-44 after 3 quarters, but Buddy Biggs' club outscored GRC 24-17 in the final frame to secure the win. Pig Williams added 15 points for Mason County, who has now won 4 straight.

#6 - Augusta (16-6)

Brian Kirk and the Panthers turned in an excellent week's worth of games, winning all 3 contests. Augusta upended visiting Bishop Brossart 54-49 on Tuesday night, paced by Connor Maddox's 21 points. Jared Shoemaker chipped in with 16 and Camryn Snapp 11. Friday night saw the Panthers jump out quickly on visiting West Carter, outscoring the Comets 19-4 in the opening quarter. Kirk and company cruised from there, winning 60-44. Maddox again led the team with 25 points, while Owens Crawford contributed 11 points and Tanner Pugh 10. Then, despite a short turnaround, the Panthers visited George Rogers Clark on Saturday and finished the game on a 13-0 run to win 63-51. Maddox poured in 31 points to lead all scorers.

#7 - Scott (9-14)

The Eagles trailed visiting Covington Catholic 58-55 after 3 quarters on Tuesday night, but the 2-time defending 9th Region champions would outscore the hosts 22-8 in the 4th to win 80-63. Jake Ohmer led the Eagles in defeat with 16 points and younger brother Chad Ohmer pitched in with 11. Brad Carr's club had better fortune against a different 9th Region foe on Friday when it turned back Conner 69-65 in a home win. Ohmer tallied 27 points and Nelson Perrin added 12 for the victors.

#8 - George Rogers Clark (13-11)

The Cardinals played 3 games at home, beginning with Tuesday's 92-74 domination of Anderson County. James Cornelius had 24 points and 10 rebounds for GRC, while Jordan Menchen scored a team-high 27 points, including a pair of 4-point plays. Jyles Anderson also broke the 20-point barrier, finishing with 22. The weekend was not so kind to Clark, however, who dropped both games. Mason County defeated the Cards 68-62 on Friday night, with Cornelius scoring 19 points to lead in defeat. The big man had 12 points and 10 rebounds on Saturday, but visiting Augusta's 13-0 run to end the game handed GRC a 63-51 loss. Anderson's 13 points led the team in the loss.

#9 - Bracken County (13-9)

Just like last week, the Polar Bears took to the floor four times, this time finishing 3-1. Bracken made a furious 2nd half rally to nip visiting Pendleton County 63-61 on Monday night. Austin Crawford led in the win with 30 points. Brady Jones had a double-double of 12 points and 12 rebounds, while Cooper Engnes chipped in with 16. Crawford totaled 43 points and 9 rebounds on Tuesday, but it wasn't enough as visiting West Carter topped Bracken 74-72. Crawford's 39 and 10, coupled with Jones' 12 and 9 helped Jason Hinson's squad edge host St. Patrick 67-63 on Wednesday. The Polar Bears then beat Harrison County at home on Friday, with Crawford's 36 points and 10 rebounds fueling the victory. Senior guard Kolton Williams tossed in 14 points in the home win.

#10 - Pendleton County (11-14)

The Wildcats went on a 16-0 run to close the 1st half and start the 2nd on Monday night in Brooksville, but it wasn't enough as host Bracken County edged Pendleton 63-61. Dontaie Allen scored 17 points and pulled down 11 rebounds to lead PC. Grant Walsh chipped in with 14 points. Keaton Belcher's team returned home on Thursday night, but Bishop Brossart proved too strong in handing the Wildcats a 62-52 defeat. Mason Dennie scored 18 points to lead in defeat. Pendleton finished the week on a high-note, however, defeating Williamstown 70-63 in Falmouth on Saturday. Allen had 30 points and 12 boards, Dennie finished with 14 points and 11 rebounds, and Wade Browning also notched 14 points.

#11 - Harrison County (10-13)

Three games and three losses for Larry Kendall's Thorobreds last week. The defending champs came to Cynthiana on Tuesday and held Harrison to 27.6% FG shooting in a 55-39 loss. Zack Pulliam led in defeat with 13 points. Bracken County dealt the Breds a 75-57 loss in Brooksville on Friday, with freshman Spencer Free's 16 points topping the team. Pulliam and Jovon Williams both scored 12. On Saturday, Kendall's club lost to 8th Region foe Collins 45-42 in Indianapolis.

#12 - Bourbon County (5-19)

The Colonels took an 8-point lead to the locker room when Montgomery County visited on Tuesday night, but the Indians dominated the 2nd half to win 60-54. Bourbon was led by Titus Ransom's 15 points. Ameryon Blackburn and Chandler Thomas both chipped in with 13 points. Ransom would score a team-high 19 points on Thursday, but Bourbon lost 62-56 at Franklin County. Senior big man Billy Orcutt added 13 points and 10 rebounds in the loss. But Nick Sosby's team ended the week with a convincing 75-59 win at Woodford County. Blackburn poured in 26 points and 3 other Colonels earned double figures: Ransom and Thomas both had 13 and Kamron Stout totaled 12 points and 10 rebounds.

#13 - Nicholas County (8-16)

The Jackets started last week with a 69-57 triumph at Berea on Tuesday night. Spencer Morris finished with 17 points and 10 rebounds, but Nicholas was led in scoring by Elijah Barnett's 22 points. Trent Letcher contributed 14 points in the victory. Forty-eight hours later the Bluejackets lost 75-57 at Sayre, getting 16 from Barnett and 14 from Morris in the loss. In Nicholas County's only home game of the week, the team received a 72-33 pounding from 16th Region power Morgan County on Saturday.

#14 - St. Patrick (11-13)

Ben Swolsky scored 21 points, Chase Burton 12, and Josh Walton 11 in the Saints' Tuesday night home win over Dayton. The next night visiting Bracken County edged the Saints 67-63, with Swolsky totaling 23 points and 10 rebounds and Jakaar Frey getting 20 points and 9 rebounds. St. Patrick then wrapped up the week with a third home game--a 58-40 win over Calvary Christian--avenging a last-second loss to the Cougars on January 2nd.

#15 - Calvary Christian (12-11)

The Cougars started last week getting 22 points from Aikeem Riley and 20 from Justin Wade in a 74-57 home win over Silver Grove on Monday night. Riley scored 13 the next night, but Calvary fell 68-38 at home to Middletown Christian (OH). The weekend saw two more losses--58-50 at home to Bellevue on Friday and 58-40 at St. Patrick on Saturday.

#16 - Robertson County (7-15)

Mason Burden pumped in 27 points, but the Black Devils were clipped 60-58 at Burgin on Tuesday. Alex Schalch tallied 11 points and Dakota Moore 10 points in the loss. John Brown's club regrouped and notched a pair of weekend home wins, beating Menifee County 68-54 on Friday and St. Francis 72-68 on Saturday. The Black Devils have now won 4 of their last 6 games.

#17 - Silver Grove (5-18)

The Big Trains got 25 points from Randy Kuntz on Monday night, but the team still fell at Calvary Christian 74-57. Kuntz finished with 12 points on Thursday, but Silver Grove lost again, this time at home to Ludlow, 62-39. After a 3-game winning streak in mid-January, Howard Brownstein's kids have now lost five in a row. The Grove will look to get back into the win column Tuesday night when Heritage Academy comes to town.

I think I understand your logic on this one (which is somewhat troubling for me) RP although I'm sure a few people are scratching their heads. CC, MoCo, Paris and Brossart are pretty safe bets to make the Region based upon seeding and I assume this means you believe Mason wins the 39th with Augusta Runner Up. It also appears you think Harrison and PC will make the tournament but neither will be a factor. If I'm right about this let me know.... I'll need to get something set up with my Therapist quickly, lol.

*Awaits Polar Bear Nation to cry about being ranked that far down*

I agree with the rankings. Except I would maybe put Bourbon County above Harrison, and Saint Pat over Nicholas County. You could make an argument for anyone being anywhere. Bracken has been hovering that 8-9 spot all year. Great write-up as always RP, might catch up with my friends to the south-east in A-town Saturday

I agree with the rankings. Except I would maybe put Bourbon County above Harrison, and Saint Pat over Nicholas County.

I've had the same tought about Harrison and Bourbon, but Harrison has beaten them twice. Hard for me to swap them when that is the case.

St. Pat/Nicholas play this week. Saints will move up if they continue to play well and get the W.

I think I understand your logic on this one (which is somewhat troubling for me) RP although I'm sure a few people are scratching their heads. CC, MoCo, Paris and Brossart are pretty safe bets to make the Region based upon seeding and I assume this means you believe Mason wins the 39th with Augusta Runner Up. It also appears you think Harrison and PC will make the tournament but neither will be a factor. If I'm right about this let me know.... I'll need to get something set up with my Therapist quickly, lol.

I think it's more "what have you done for me lately" than "what will you do for me a month from now".