Technology Impact In 20 Years on Unemployment

Clyde

Listening to Cowherd interview an angel investor. The guy says that the rapid expansion of technology is going to lead to high unemployment rates , especially for 40+ crowd, which will require the government to make radical changes.

He said some of the people looking into this are looking into things like 4-day work weeks, more years of education, and guaranteed income.

Hard to wrap one's head around.

He predicts energy, water, and food will be free in our lifetime.

Listened the guy is right about technology affecting jobs. But it has throughout our history. We adapt. I never buy into these doomsday people or people who take extreme opinions. It happens in the world of finance a lot and then the person is right 1 out of 10 times and wants to be considered a genius.

Heard something recently that within the next decade or so we will see autonomous trucking become commonplace. That could be devastating for the truckers out there.

The technology may be here but if anyone thinks our government will react that quickly they will be disappointed.

I had this very discussion with a school teacher on Saturday.

The world (of technology) is going to pass us by very quick. Throughout history we have moved ahead at a pretty steady pace, super computers working together are changing that and the better we get at programing the computers the faster the pace will pick up.

I know it sounds crazy but when you think of life from a tech standpoint, Bernie Sanders makes some sense. Just sayin.

To automated trucking that RTS mentioned. We already have Google Cars that are autonomous. Or should I call them computers that are able to drive. Computer controlled cars/trucks will put lots of people out of business, taxis, uber, truck drivers, delivery services, etc. Just think of it, when you arrive home at the airport you will just get on your smart phone and summon your car to pick you up at the airport. Your car will leave your garage and come get you.

I'm 55 and in the technology field. As long as I make a reasonable effort to keep up with the latest technology, we will be needed to create the next wave of new technology. As said, it is all about adapting. Like those who used to build carburetors...if you didn't learn about fuel injection, you'd better try something else in life. I feel bad for those who refuse to change, but instead hold on to that which is going obsolete.

Guy said young kids will be the last generation to know someone who dies in a car crash.

It is amazing isn't it, look at these statistics:

Annual Global Road Crash Statistics

• Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day.
  • An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.
  • More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.
  • Road traffic crashes rank as the 9th leading cause of death and account for 2.2% of all deaths globally.
  • Road crashes are the leading cause of death among young people ages 15-29, and the second leading cause of death worldwide among young people ages 5-14.
  • Each year nearly 400,000 people under 25 die on the world's roads, on average over 1,000 a day.
  • Over 90% of all road fatalities occur in low and middle-income countries, which have less than half of the world's vehicles.
  • Road crashes cost USD $518 billion globally, costing individual countries from 1-2% of their annual GDP.
  • Road crashes cost low and middle-income countries USD $65 billion annually, exceeding the total amount received in developmental assistance.
  • Unless action is taken, road traffic injuries are predicted to become the fifth leading cause of death by 2030.

Annual United States Road Crash Statistics

• Over 37,000 people die in road crashes each year
  • An additional 2.35 million are injured or disabled
  • Over 1,600 children under 15 years of age die each year
  • Nearly 8,000 people are killed in crashes involving drivers ages 16-20
  • Road crashes cost the U.S. $230.6 billion per year, or an average of $820 per person
  • Road crashes are the single greatest annual cause of death of healthy U.S. citizens traveling abroad

http://asirt.org/Initiatives/Informing-Road-Users/Road-Safety-Facts/Road-Crash-Statistics

The guy probably will be correct on some things. I don't believe there is any way we have a clue what it will look like in 20 years. What I like about these stories, though, is it does get people thinking.

I think back to 1996 and the internet was dial up and s---l---o---w, email was just getting started to be used outside of the internal organization where you worked, most people still had land line phones, etc.

I could not imagine then how much I depend on technology today. Education will not be able to afford (already doesn't) to keep pace, unless students are allowed to use their own devices for almost all their learning. Schools are getting better at allowing that, but still stuck in the wrong basics of readin', writin' and 'rithmetic. The new basic are technology, social communication, and self discipline to produce independently from home.

The guy probably will be correct on some things. I don't believe there is any way we have a clue what it will look like in 20 years. What I like aboutthese stories, though, is it does get people thinking.

I think back to 1996 and the internet was dial up and s---l---o---w, email was just getting started and used outside of the internal organization where you worked, most people still had land line phones, etc.

I could not imagine how then how much I depend on technology today. Education will not be able to afford (already doesn't) to keep pace, unless students are allowed to use their own devices for almost all their learning. Schools are getting better at allowing that, but still stuck in the wrong basics of readin', writin' and 'rithmetic. The new basic are technology, social communication, and self discipline to produce independently from home.

Excellent point!

And something I struggle with everyday. :idunno:

I'm 55 and in the technology field. As long as I make a reasonable effort to keep up with the latest technology, we will be needed to create the next wave of new technology. As said, it is all about adapting. Like those who used to build carburetors...if you didn't learn about fuel injection, you'd better try something else in life. I feel bad for those who refuse to change, but instead hold on to that which is going obsolete.

This was seen when trains went from steam to diesel engines. Those that felt it wasn't their job to adapt to the diesel technology found keeping a job pretty difficult. Those those took advantage of training to repair diesel saw demand for skilled diesel mechanics push their wages comparable to the college educated boys in the office and even the engineers. Eventually high wages attracted more and more to the field to level off the wages but those who adapted first stayed ahead till retirement.