Lexington Mayor Jim Gray to run for U.S. Senate

FRANKFORT, Ky. (WKYT) - Lexington Mayor Jim Gray on Tuesday announced plans that he will run for the U.S. Senate, possibly setting up a race against Republican U.S. Sen. Rand Paul.

All indications pointed toward Gray jumping into the statewide race before Tuesday's 4 p.m. filing deadline. Gray showed up to file Tuesday morning.

Gray appeared on Kentucky Newsmakers earlier this year and sounded like a likely candidate.

Gray, who was re-elected in January of 2015, is in his second term as mayor.

Lexington Mayor Jim Gray to run for U.S. Senate

Gray would be horrible for the state.

He threw the city workers of Lexington under the bus in just about every way possible. It would be no different at the level of Senator. Then, he could throw the entire state under the bus at the first chance.

Gray would be horrible for the state.

He threw the city workers of Lexington under the bus in just about every way possible. It would be no different at the level of Senator. Then, he could throw the entire state under the bus at the first chance.

Please elaborate. I don't read the H-L as much as I used to and I'm not in a research mood.

Please elaborate. I don't read the H-L as much as I used to and I'm not in a research mood.

First thing is he changed the health insurance for employees. My family plan tripled in price. He went after the Fire/Police pension fund. It is a separate system from the other employees. Other employees are in CERS. He wanted control of the Fire/Police pension fund because it does so well. He wanted to drain the money off of it to other pet projects. Thankfully, Frankfort told him to take a hike. He froze hiring for public safety. This led to brown outs of fire stations and less police on the streets.

Being a liberal, he hated that he had to participate in collective bargaining with the Fire and Police unions. Seemed odd to me.

He is all about what is best for Jim Gray. Period.

First thing is he changed the health insurance for employees. My family plan tripled in price. He went after the Fire/Police pension fund. It is a separate system from the other employees. Other employees are in CERS. He wanted control of the Fire/Police pension fund because it does so well. He wanted to drain the money off of it to other pet projects. Thankfully, Frankfort told him to take a hike. He froze hiring for public safety. This led to brown outs of fire stations and less police on the streets.

Being a liberal, he hated that he had to participate in collective bargaining with the Fire and Police unions. Seemed odd to me.

He is all about what is best for Jim Gray. Period.

All those moves sound like things a Republican would like.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it when he tripled my insurance premium and went after my pension. :ohbrother:

Like I said, thankfully Frankfort told him to take a hike.

Why do you say being a liberal he hated collective bargaining? Don't liberals like collective bargaining? Is that why you said it seemed odd to you?