Is Mercer County the best team in the state?

Mercer County in currently ranked #1 in the AP Poll, tied for #1 in the Litkenhous Ratings, #2 in the Cantrall Ratings and #2 in the Bluegrasspreps Rankings. They are undefeated with a 20-0 record after defeating Montgomery County 84-51 last night.

In just his second year at Mercer County Head coach Josh Cook brings his talented team to the floor each night with visions of playing games in Rupp Arena in March. Led by senior point guard Will Hager this Mercer County team also boasts arguably the best sophomore in the state in Trevon Faulkner. Hager recently became the all time leading scorer and Faulkner recently scored his 1,000th point. Both Hager and Faulkner have been playing varsity basketball since they were in the 8th grade and as the leaders of the team they have a vast amount of experience between them to guide the team.

Newcomer Dylan James has been a very welcome addition to the team. James is averaging 3.2 made three pointers a game and he has range from 30 feet. Some Mercer County fans feel like James has been the missing ingredient to success for this group of boys. Last season after some jostling with the KHSAA, Malik Dow was ruled eligible and added another key ingredient to the team. Dow brings an athleticism not seen often from someone with his height and skill set. Both James and Dow are above average at rebounding the ball and Dow has added a respectable jump shot to his repertoire so not only is he still a threat in the paint but he can cause issues for big men hoping to camp in the paint when defending him.

When it comes to the heart of the team look no further than Drew Davis and Alijah Mink. Each successful team needs glue guys willing to the do the dirty work and the little things that don't always show up in the box score after the game is over and Davis and Mink fit that bill. They are are the scrappers, the ones chasing the loose balls, grabbing the needed rebound, making the clutch free throw, setting the necessary screns, adding the physical toughness to the team and providing the inspiration to the team when a win is needed to be gutted out. Make no mistake, both are capable of scoring and can do that when needed as well. People will look at this Mercer County team and see Hager, Faulkner, James and Dow but this Mercer County team isn't 20-0 and in the discussion as one of the best teams in the state without Mink and Davis on this team.

Mercer County is #3 in scoring at 77.1 points a game. #15 in scoring defense holding opponents to 49.5 points a game. #1 in scoring margin at 27.6 points. #4 in field goal percentage at 52.9%. #18 in free throw percentage at 72.1%. #10 at three point percentage at 40.6%. #4 in rebounds at 38.4 rebounds per game. Some people, including myself, will point to Mercer County's schedule and say these stats are a result of playing opponents that don't challenge them nightly. While their favorable schedule can't be denied what also can't be denied is how talented this team is and how strong this team is. It is clear they are one of the best teams in the state.

Are they the best team in the state? I don't know for sure but I think they have a really good argument in their favor. My general belief is that they will have a tougher time winning the 12th Region than the state tournament. If they can manage the gauntlet of the 12th Region tournament in Pulaski County in March then they will be one of the favorites to cut down the nets at Rupp Arena in March.

Are they the best team in the state? We shall see. Stay tuned.........

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummmm. Of the top teams I have seen play...Mercer, Trinity, Dunbar, Lawrence Co., Henry Clay, PCC...throw NCC in there...I like Mercer's chances about as well as any of them. Dunbar is so freaking athletic I think they can/may pose them problems should they play. Trinity is so disciplined and run their offense so well...and it appeared to me during the Anderson Co game last weekend that Mercer has a weakness...they don't defend the 3 ball that well, at least they didn't that night which is what allowed AC to throw a scare into them. So a Trinity matchup could pose them problems as well. But I think Mercer is overall more talented than Trinity. The others, again of the ones I have seen, I don't think pose much of a problem if they were to play. With all that said, I see no reason not to rank them #1. The talent and ability is there, they can shoot, rebound, have some athletes and have size. They are probably the most complete team I have seen.

Yes, Mercer County COULD win state. And, I would also include these teams as "contenders" that COULD win state: Cov Cath, Ballard, Trinity, Dunbar, Bullitt East, Scott County, Male, Fern Creek and Cooper. A lot of parity at the top. No stand out team this year in my mind.

I would include these teams as "spoilers", strong enough to beat anyone on a given night and maybe win one more, but I do not see them capable of stringing together a number of good games in a row agaisnt the better teams: Hoptown, Bowling Green, Doss, Lex Cath, Central, Henry Clay, Owen County, Madison Central, St X and Taylor County.

Yes, Mercer County COULD win state. And, I would also include these teams as "contenders" that COULD win state: Cov Cath, Ballard, Trinity, Dunbar, Bullitt East, Scott County, Male, Fern Creek and Cooper. A lot of parity at the top. No stand out team this year in my mind.

I would include these teams as "spoilers", strong enough to beat anyone on a given night and maybe win one more, but I do not see them capable of stringing together a number of good games in a row agaisnt the better teams: Hoptown, Bowling Green, Doss, Lex Cath, Central, Henry Clay, Owen County, Madison Central, St X and Taylor County.

I wouldn't have Lex cath on that list, and Taylor Co with their play so far hasn't proved they belong either, but hearing they may be getting past some of their early struggles.

Of the teams I have seen, Mercer Co and Dunbar are on a superior level. I haven't seen Christian Co, but based on the skill of their top 3 players, I wouldn't be surprised if they are on that same level.

The issue is that Dunbar doesn't seem to be bring it consistently enough, and Mercer Co and Christian Co have very soft schedules (not counting Christian Co's out of state tourny).

Also, a full strength Bowling Green wouldn't be far behind this group.

Ummmm. Of the top teams I have seen play...Mercer, Trinity, Dunbar, Lawrence Co., Henry Clay, PCC...throw NCC in there...I like Mercer's chances about as well as any of them. Dunbar is so freaking athletic I think they can/may pose them problems should they play. Trinity is so disciplined and run their offense so well...and it appeared to me during the Anderson Co game last weekend that Mercer has a weakness...they don't defend the 3 ball that well, at least they didn't that night which is what allowed AC to throw a scare into them. So a Trinity matchup could pose them problems as well. But I think Mercer is overall more talented than Trinity. The others, again of the ones I have seen, I don't think pose much of a problem if they were to play. With all that said, I see no reason not to rank them #1. The talent and ability is there, they can shoot, rebound, have some athletes and have size. They are probably the most complete team I have seen.

For what it's worth, Mercer scrimmaged at Trinity the week before the season started. They fared well. Obviously, Trinity shot a ton of threes in that scrimmage.

Mercer could fall into the role of Gonzaga if they make it to Lexington. There's absolutely no advantage to playing a soft high school schedule. You need to be challenged so things like free throws down the stretch, 50/50 foul calls, and bad shooting nights don't override the fact that you're in Rupp- and about everyone who knows anything about Kentucky high school basketball thinks you're beatable.

I agree Drew Davis provides big time energy and physicality that not many high school kids have. I also think that Souder, Baughman , and Dunning are solid players that each bring something to the table. Faulner , Hager, Dow , and James are all capable of monster games statiscally speaking.

Mercer could fall into the role of Gonzaga if they make it to Lexington. There's absolutely no advantage to playing a soft high school schedule. You need to be challenged so things like free throws down the stretch, 50/50 foul calls, and bad shooting nights don't override the fact that you're in Rupp- and about everyone who knows anything about Kentucky high school basketball thinks you're beatable.

If they make it to Rupp they will have played Wayne County, Lafayette, Southwestern, Cordia, Boyle County, Pulaski County and the 12th Region tournament. I think that will be enough to prepare them for Rupp. I do understand the skeptics saying they aren't the best team in the state as of now because of their schedule.