10th Region Rankings & Weekly Review (1-10-16)

One team shoots up the rankings this week, while the rest of the teams either stay in the same spot or drop one spot.

#1 - Montgomery County (12-5)

The Indians keep the top spot after a pair of road wins, starting with an 82-80 OT nail-biter at Franklin County on Tuesday. Senior guard Caswell Fuller scored 25 to lead MoCo, while Art Walker added 17, Jerryd Jones 14, and Shelby Combs 11. Forty-eight hours later, Walker drained 5-11 3's and scored a team-high 23 points in a win at Bryan Station. Jones was efficient as well, scoring 18 points on 9-10 FG shooting. Fuller chipped in with 9 points, 8 rebounds, and 9 assists.

#2 - Paris (11-2)

James Clark scored 19 points and sophomore Marcus Ashford contributed 12 as the Greyhounds took out visiting George Rogers Clark on Tuesday night by a score of 63-46. The Hounds held a 25-23 lead at the half, but a 12-2 run to start the 3rd quarter gave Terence Brooks and company a comfortable lead they would not relinquish. Paris then opened the 10th Region Class "A" Tournament on Friday by handling Silver Grove 87-28--a game in which none of team's traditional starters played a single second. Senior forward Demond Dorsey paced the victors with 16 points and 18 rebounds.

#3 - Campbell County (6-10)

The Camels ended Tuesday night's game at Mason County with a 15-0 run that led to an 81-65 victory. Matt Wilson spearheaded Campbell with 24 points and 12 rebounds. Junior wing Garren Bertsch scored 19 points, while Cole Hegyi had 16 and Trent McGovney 10. However, things went sour over the weekend, as Aric Russell's team lost a 47-45 thriller to rival Bishop Brossart on Friday night. The Stangs held Wilson to 11 points (only 5 FG attempts) and 10 rebounds. Hegyi led Campbell in defeat with 14 points. On Saturday, in Newport's John Turner Classic, Campbell was controlled by Newport Central Catholic from the outset, eventually falling 81-61. Bertsch's 18 points led the way in the loss, with Wilson contributing 17 points and 11 rebounds.

#4 - Bishop Brossart (12-3)

Catapulting to the #4 spot in the rankings is Bishop Brossart. The Mustangs led Campbell County by as many as 10 points in the 4th quarter, and had to hold on to nip the Camels 47-45 on Friday. Jackson Crawford led Brossart with 20 points and Jacob Zai tossed in 12. On Saturday the Stangs defeated Robertson County 63-28 in the quarterfinals of the 10th Region Class "A" Tournament. Zai paced Mike Code's team with 21 points and sophomore forward Zach Hamberg pitched in with 11.

#5 - Mason County (11-5)

The Royals found themselves on the wrong end of a 15-0 run to close Tuesday night's game with Campbell County in Maysville. The Camels prevailed 81-65, handing Buddy Biggs' club its second most lopsided loss of the season. Pig Williams scored 24 points to lead Mason in a losing effort. The Royals were sluggish in the first half of Friday night's game with Boone County, trailing 25-19 at intermission. But Mason dominated the second half, utlimately beating Boone 68-45. Williams had 23 to lead the Royals, while Isiah Garrison had 11 points. Both Darren Williams and Conner Sweeney had 10. Saturday saw Holmes prove to be too strong for Mason County, beating the visiting Royals 75-67. Pig Williams again topped the team with 15 points.

#6 - George Rogers Clark (7-7)

The Cardinals started last week with a District loss, 63-46 at Paris on Tuesday night. James Cornelius scored 19 and Jyles Anderson had 11 in defeat. Scott Humphrey's squad bounced back by earning a pair of weekend victories, beginning with Friday's 67-57 defeat of Madison Southern, in which Anderson scored 27 and Cornelius 22. Saturday saw GRC upend Bourbon County on the road 72-58. Anderson's 20 points led the way in victory, while Ryan Cooper added 18 and Jordan Menchen 11.

#7 - Scott (6-10)

Jake Ohmer had 25 points and 9 rebounds, but it wasn't enough on Tuesday night as Scott lost at Holmes 84-76 in OT. Nelson Perrin added 16 for the Eagles and Mirell Englemon had 11. The Eagles snapped a 3-game losing streak on Friday by beating Simon Kenton 63-60 in a home W. Ohmer topped Brad Carr's bunch with 33 points. On Saturday Scott stayed with Upper Arlington (OH) for the better part of 3 quarters, but the Eagles faded fast down the stretch, losing 60-43.

#8 - Augusta (11-3)

The defending Class "A" champs won a pair of tuneups to start last week. Augusta won at Western Brown (OH) on Tuesday by a score of 66-52. The next night saw Brian Kirk's club get past Nicholas County 63-46. Then the Panthers began defense of their Class "A" title by defeating St. Patrick 60-51 in Saturday's quarterfinals. Three Panthers reached double figures, led by Camryn Snapp's 16 points. Connor Maddox had 15 and Jared Shoemaker chipped in with 10. The Panthers will now await the Paris/Bracken County winner in the semi-finals.

#9 - Bracken County (8-5)

Just one contest for the Polar Bears last week, and it was a close one. Bracken found itself down 1 point after 3 quarters in a Tuesday night home game with Bourbon County. But Jason Hinson's team battled well in the 4th to come away with a 63-59 victory. Austin Crawford topped the winners with 23 points and 11 rebounds. Kolton Williams and Jacob Hamilton added 14.

#10 - Pendleton County (7-10)

Dontaie Allen returned to the Pendleton County lineup in Tuesday night's 86-46 romp over visiting Robertson County. The 6'5" freshman led the Wildcats with 23 points. Wade Browning scored 15 and Mason Dennie 13 for PC. On Friday night, the Wildcats traveled to Fairdale and had the Bulldogs down double digits in the 4th quarter. However, Keaton Belcher's Cats couldn't hold on, eventually losing 45-43. Allen had 17 in the defeat. Pendleton cruised to an easy road victory on Saturday, though, beating Whitefield Academy 72-44. Allen scored a team-high 28 points and Browning contributed 21. The duo combined to hit 9-17 3-pointers.

#11 - Harrison County (8-7)

The Thorobreds went 1-1 last week--the loss coming on Tuesday night at Simon Kenton 75-64. Leon Commodore, Brock Jenkins, and Jovon Williams each scored 12 points in the loss. The Breds took care of business, however, in Friday night's 59-42 road win at Woodford County. Zack Pulliam led Harrison with 14 points, while Jenkins had 12 and Keishon Gilkey 10.

#12 - Bourbon County (2-14)

Two more losses last week for Nick Sosby and Bourbon County. The Colonels lost 63-59 at Bracken County on Tuesday night, despite getting 29 points from Ameryon Blackburn. The junior guard hit 10-15 FG's, including 6-10 treys. Blackburn scored 15 at home on Saturday, but the Colonels lost again, 72-58, to 40th District foe George Rogers Clark.

#13 - Nicholas County (6-10)

The Bluejackets went 2-1 last week, starting with a Monday night 65-56 win over visiting St. Patrick. Logan Stafford led 4 Nicholas players in double figures with 15 points. Elijah Barnett and Spencer Morris both had 11 points, while Trent Letcher pitched in 10. Barnett scored 14 and Wes Sapp 10 on Wednesday night, but the Jackets fell at Augusta 63-46. Then Matthew Botner's team came back on Saturday to win its 10th Region Class "A" quarterfinal round game, defeating Calvary Christian 69-37. Barnett again led with 15 points, while Letcher had 14 and Sapp 10. Nicholas will take on Bishop Brossart in the semifinals.

#14 - Calvary Christian (9-5)

The Cougars dropped 2 games last week, now losers in 3 of their last 4 outings. Ludlow defeated Calvary on Monday night 65-28, with Justin Wade's 13 points leading in defeat. The Cougars then lost 69-37 to Nicholas County in Saturday's 10th Region Class "A" quarterfinals.

#15 - St. Patrick (7-10)

The Saints were 2-2 last week, losing Monday night at Nicholas County 65-56. Jakaar Frey led in a losing effort with 22 points and 13 rebounds, with Ben Swolsky also providing 16 points. Frey came back the next night with another strong performance of 29 points and 13 rebounds in a 58-52 win at Felicity-Franklin (OH). Brennan Bauer tossed in 10 for St. Pat in the win. Frey went for 26 and 13 in St. Pat's 77-42 victory at Robertson County on Thursday. Swolsky also turned in a nice game with 28 points and 10 boards. Matthew Taylor's bunch lost to Augusta 60-51 to end the week--a quarterfinal round loss in the Class "A" Tournament. Frey paced St. Pat with 16 points in the loss.

#16 - Robertson County (2-14)

The Black Devils had their losing streak extended to 6 games after going 0-3 last week. Robertson started the week off with an 86-46 road loss at Pendleton County, getting 18 points from Mason Burden and 14 from Dakota Moore. Robertson's front court was no match for St. Patrick on Thursday as the Black Devils lost 77-42. Burden led John Brown's squad with 23 points in defeat. The Black Devils finished the week with a 63-28 loss to Bishop Brossart in the Class "A" quarterfinals. Burden scored 19 of RC's 28 points.

#17 - Silver Grove (2-12)

The Big Trains started last week by grabbing their second win of the season, a 44-25 road win over Heritage Academy. Randy Kuntz paced the Trains with 18 points. But Howard's Brownstein's club came up on the short end in two other contests--a 60-29 home loss to Dayton and a 87-28 pounding at the hands of Paris in the 10th Region Class "A" play-in game. Kuntz and junior Nathan Doyle both scored 10 in the loss to the Greyhounds.

Edited by Randy Parker

Could you please explain how you can keep ranking Campbell at 3?

Won at Montgomery

Won at Mason

Won at Harrison

Won vs. Augusta (at Harrison)

Lost vs. Brossart (at CCMS)

That's as good of a resume within 10th Region play that you'll find. In fact, you may not find a resume within the 10th that's better.

Who would you rank at 3? And where would you rank Campbell?

if your talking just 10th region playing each other I guess I can see it. But over all, I believe Brossart and mason should be ahead of them. But I wasn't arguing with you just asking for an explanation

if your talking just 10th region playing each other I guess I can see it. But over all, I believe Brossart and mason should be ahead of them. But I wasn't arguing with you just asking for an explanation

Brossart I can see, obviously with the win on Friday (coupled with the Holy Cross win a week ago). I would have agreed on Mason too, but the 16 point loss to Campbell is hard to get past.

These rankings, especially this year, are...well, who knows what they are? :lol2: As I told Papa and goldie, you can defend putting a lot of teams in a lot of different spots. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of space between several of these schools.

Paris has two quality losses this year one against Scott co w/o full compliment of players...Moco beats Scott Co then w full compliment of team Paris beats Moco. Paris losses to Madison Central was up 15-4 at one point...then Central losses to Mercer by 2 and controlled the game. I watched Mercer have there way w Moco down the stretch. Also Central knocks off Dunbar...I understand that Moco has played a stronger schedule to this point but I can't put a team ahead of another team that they loss to and that has less losses. Still respect your rankings. #ParisPride

but I can't put a team ahead of another team that they loss to and that has less losses.

The head-to-head argument is the strongest one out there IMO. Montgomery may be ranked #1 in our rankings and in the coaches rankings and in the rankings a lot of fans might put out there, but the reality is that two of their losses came to the teams we have ranked #2 & #3.

Paris has two quality losses this year one against Scott co w/o full compliment of players...Moco beats Scott Co then w full compliment of team Paris beats Moco. Paris losses to Madison Central was up 15-4 at one point...then Central losses to Mercer by 2 and controlled the game. I watched Mercer have there way w Moco down the stretch. Also Central knocks off Dunbar...I understand that Moco has played a stronger schedule to this point but I can't put a team ahead of another team that they loss to and that has less losses. Still respect your rankings. #ParisPride

I think Montgomery Co has the stronger overall resume. They have 3 wins over teams that are, or had been considered top 20 teams in the state, one on the road and the other two at neutral sites.

The loss to Paris was on the road on a last second shot.

Also, where Paris was dominated for the last 25 minutes of the game against Madison Central, Montgomery Co led Madison Central almost the entire game before losing on a last second shot.

In fact, Paris and Montgomery Co have played 4 common opponents and MC had noticeably better results against 3 of them. The 4th, Bourbon Co, was throttled by Paris in the first matchup but it was significantly closer the second time. Montgomery's result wasn't nearly as good as the first Paris result, but pretty similar to the second.

All that to say, there is a very strong argument to rank Montgomery Co ahead of Paris currently. However, you also make a reasonable argument for Paris being number 1. Paris has no bad losses, and 1 good win (head-to-head).

Crazy hoops action this year!

Your #4 team is 6-10.

6th is 7-7 and

7th is 6-10

And hard to argue with your thought process. Anybody discounting Scott is out of their minds. I think the All A this week will help sort out the Paris, Bracken Brossart, Augusta mysteries.