7th Region Rankings for 12-16

This is through December 16, 2015. I'll update next week, and on a weekly basis from now on.

1. Trinity (6-0)

Had a strong team performance last night in a win against Manual. To date, they've shot an insane 45% from 3 pt. territory. They're averaging over 9 made threes per game. They have good wins versus state power Covington Cathlic, and a talented Fern Creek squad, which gives them the top spot. Tough match-up looming versus Owen County in the KOB this weekend.

2. Male (5-0)

This team has been under the radar in the preseason talk. They've recently had two marquee wins against Madison Central and Fern Creek this past week, giving them the nod for the #2 spot. Should be a favorite going into the Oldham County "Best in Hoops" tourney this weekend.

3. Manual (5-2)

So far this team has been a scrappy bunch, and have a great win against pre-season favorite Waggener on their resume'. Just had a hard fought loss to #1 Trinity, but no shame in that. Interesting matchup in the first round of the Best in Hoops tourney against Spring Hill (TN).

4. Eastern (3-2)

So far they have two solid wins over Fairdale, and Central. They had a big loss to North Hardin (who is a 5th Region Contender), and a loss to a solid Henry Clay team. The two wins give them a nod for the 4th spot, and we'll find out more about this team's identity next week versus Bryan Station.

5. Central (3-2)

Just walloped Portland Christian in a 100-18 rout last night. They have no bad losses: one shorthanded loss to Eastern without Devin Firman (leading scorer), and a road loss to Covington Catholic. They also have no marquee wins either. Team has talent, but has to put together. We'll find out more in their KOB first round match up against Taylor County this weekend.

6. Waggener (4-1)

Had a good victory without their starting point guard Hobbs against St. X last night (though St. X was minus two of their key bigs also). They haven't really played a tough schedule to date, and only solid competition resulted in a loss. That, with the news of Hobbs wrist injury pushes them down to the 6th spot this week. They'll definitely move up if they beat Bullitt East in the KOB and have a strong showing.

7. Ballard (3-3)

This team looks to be trying to find it's identity. They have a dominant win against #3 Manual, but them have lost big to all of the other solid competition. We'll learn more about this team against North Hardin in the KOB this weekend.

8. Kentucky Country Day (4-1)

This is a solid team led by Colin Ferguson and Anthony Mathis averaging a combined 40.8 points per game. They haven't played the most difficult schedule to date, which is why I have them at 8, but they also had a decent showing in a close loss to PRP (which is why they aren't lower). They play Atherton Thursday, and don't play again until their match-up with 11th Region Power Bryan Station at the Traditional Bank Holiday Classic on December 26.

9. St. Xavier (3-2)

Had a heart breaking, short handed loss to Waggener last night. Also had a tight loss to Central in the first game of the season. Don't have any marquee wins, and a 4 point win to winless Seneca is confusing. The play Atherton tonight, and a high profile game versus Covington Catholic on Friday, which will give them an opportunity to nab a good win.

10. Shawnee (1-3)

After losing 9 seniors, Shawnee is in rebuilding mode this year with first year coach Kevin Geary. They've played a tough schedule so far (half of games were against preseason #1 and #2 in the 7th region), and notched a blow out win against Collegiate next week. The Rumble at the Ridge tourney at PRP next week can keep them in the top ten, or move them out of the rankings completely.

11. Christian Academy (2-3)

Have opportunity to increase wins vs. Whitefield Academy and Collegiate this week and move to #10.

12. Portland Christian (3-3)

Tough week for the Eagles with Moore and Covington Latin awaiting.

13. Brown (3-4)

Will learn more about them in the Itty Bitty Trees and Trends classic. Could crack top 10 with tourney win.

14. Atherton (1-7)

Have played one of the toughest schedules in the region so far, but haven't been competitive. Only gets worse with St. X and KCD on deck this week.

15. Seneca (0-6)

The Redhawks are winless, but gauntlett of schedule (Male, Butler, KCD, St. X, Fern Creek, Trinity) gives them nod over last two teams. Good opportunity for a W vs Frankfort on tap.

16. St. Francis (2-4)

Have good chance to increase win total this week against Envangel Christian and Eminence.

17. Walden (1-4)

Wolverines are off until January 2, so they may not be moving anywhere anytime soon.

Can't buy Manual as the third best team in region. They've played to their competition- scrappy doesn't make them any better than Ballard- who beat them or Waggener - who was missing one of their starters when they played.

It will all shake out by next Wednesday. I think the teams ranked #s 1-7 will be different to be honest. What I ranked them isn't necessarily who I think will win or who I think is the best team. It is who deserves it at that time with what they've done to date. Waggener is still missing a starter now with Hobbs' injury, and had to squeak by a St. X team with 2 guys out(which is what I took into consideration as well), so I still give Manual the edge as of now. If they fair well in the KOB it will change. Ballard did beat them, but then got handled by Bryan Station and Doss. Then lost to Clay Co. I think Central beats Eastern with Firman playing, but he didn't play, so I gave Eastern the nod for the head to head win. But... I'm about 95% sure there will be a huge shake up after the KOB and Best in Hoops tournies are finished.

UofL is without a starter and barely lost to Mich. St. The polls don't reflect that they probably beat them with a healthy Deng Adel to guard Valentine a good portion of the game. They reflect what they are at the moment, which will change week to week after he gets back (Same with Waggener).