Podcasts

Bipsic

I'm sure there are previous threads on this subject, but I couldn't find an old one in the 10 seconds I spent searching. Regardless, it might not hurt having a newer discussion.

I'm a big fan and listen to quite a few with different frequency. From Marc Maron to Nerdist, Bill Simmons to Freakonomics, Stuff You Should Know to television recaps, and of course Serial and This American Life some of the more popular ones enjoy an incredible amount of downloads.

So I have a couple questions:

First, if you do, how do you listen to podcasts? Do you listen to the newest episode of your favorites when it is released? Do you work through your backload chronologically? Go back and start from the beginning? Pick and choose an episode based on your interest at the time?

Second, have you come across any that may not be super popular, but deserve a larger fanbase? Personally, I'm always interested in any podcast that holds my attention but doesn't get released too frequently (i.e. I like variety and get too bogged down by daily episodes). Similarly, I like to feel like I am learning something or at least am becoming more informed, so I am about tapped out with comedians. With all this said, I'd like the keep the scope of recommendations very broad. If you like it, let's talk about it. Maybe somebody else does, and maybe somebody else will.

Edited by Bipsic
Maron and the word filter don't agree

My top podcasts are:

Maron's, Serial, NPR's Planet Money, Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast, NPR's Hidden Brain, Inquiring Minds, EconTalk, 99% Invisible, and ESPN's Fantasy Focus. I have Bomani Jones's podcast on there, but I'm not crazy about how a lot of sports pods are just a recorded radio show.

I listen to Maron when the interview looks interesting or I know the guest. I'll skip it otherwise. I'll listen to Serial all the way through. I listen to the others selectively. If I miss an episode I'll go back and listen only if they seem interesting. I listen to Burr's every week because it's hysterical.

I've heard several people say that Dan Carlin's history podcast is good and it's very long for each topic, but I only listened to about 15 minutes of one.

I can't find a good "news" or current event podcast. The BBC has an OK one, but they might only get to three stories in a half hour and one might be about a group of nuns protesting the declining sea otter population. I just want the straight dope.

Edited by Habib

• 1 month later...
Has anyone listened to "Dead Author's Podcast" where a guy plays a time traveler who goes back to interview dead authors who are obviously played by actors/comedians? Unscripted and recorded in front of a live audience.

The host is author H.G. Wells as portrayed by Paul F. Tompkins, who is one of my favorite comedians working. I was a huge fan of that show during its run. Sad to see it wind up. Definitely worth going through the archive.

Podcasts I listen to regularly:

Comedy Bang Bang

Doug Loves Movies

Econ Talk with Russ Roberts

Slate's Political Gabfest

C-SPAN's Newsmakers

Washington Week

The Solid Verbal (college football)

Football Weekly (soccer)

The Final Judgment (local Louisville soccer)

Barrel Proof Soccer (also a Louisville soccer cast)

Serial

Judge John Hodgman (comedy)

In Our Time (educational)

The Smartest Man in the World (comedy)

You Must Remember This (classic Hollywood)

The host is author H.G. Wells as portrayed by Paul F. Tompkins, who is one of my favorite comedians working. I was a huge fan of that show during its run. Sad to see it wind up. Definitely worth going through the archive.

Listening now to one with Iceberg Slim. Funny.

I've said this before on here but I regularly listen to podcasts in the car and got rid of Sirius.

My regular lineup are as follows.

Bill simmons

Bill Burr

Adam Carolla

Kfc radio - Barstool

Daily Mail time - barstool

Channel 33 - Part of Bill Simmons Network

Chael Sonnen

I also watch the video of the Barstool Rundown at 630 everyday after work.

For those who love comedy and sports. If you haven't found barstool yet where have you been.

• 1 month later...

The Washington Post has a new podcast where each episode cover an American president, going in chronological order. I've listened to the Washington and Adams episodes so far. It's not bad. They interview historians and such. Could be worth checking out if you're interested in that sort of thing (maybe @Bipsic). I'm curious what I'll think when I get to a president I'm less familiar with.

Forgot the name: It's called "Presidential."

The Washington Post has a new podcast where each episode cover an American president, going in chronological order. I've listened to the Washington and Adams episodes so far. It's not bad. They interview historians and such. Could be worth checking out if you're interested in that sort of thing (maybe @Bipsic). I'm curious what I'll think when I get to a president I'm less familiar with.

Forgot the name: It's called "Presidential."

I'm very interested in this. I'm definitely in favor of the episodes' length as well. Even though I usually listen on a 1.5 speed, I'm usually hesitant to give anything a try the length of a movie in case I like it and won't ever have time to listen.