Big Beer Companies Trying to Push Out Craft Beer

MJAlltheWay24

The King of Beers Wants to Push Craft Brews out of Your Supermarket | Mother Jones

Distributors whose beer sales are 98 percent InBev brands can get as much as $1.5 million in rebates—as long as they don't also sell some popular craft brews as well.

At least one distributor has dropped a craft brewer as a result of the incentive program. Deschutes Brewery President Michael Lalonde said Grey Eagle Distributing of St. Louis last week decided it will drop the Oregon brewery behind Mirror Pond Pale Ale because it "had to make a choice to go with the incentive program or stay with craft.

As someone that loves craft beer, I don't like this one bit. Glad we have a very nice local variety here in Greater Cincinnati but I wouldn't be thrilled to see less variety of craft beer from across the country because of this.

I find this stuff very interesting.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The King of Beers Wants to Push Craft Brews out of Your Supermarket | Mother Jones

Distributors whose beer sales are 98 percent InBev brands can get as much as $1.5 million in rebates—as long as they don't also sell some popular craft brews as well.

At least one distributor has dropped a craft brewer as a result of the incentive program. Deschutes Brewery President Michael Lalonde said Grey Eagle Distributing of St. Louis last week decided it will drop the Oregon brewery behind Mirror Pond Pale Ale because it "had to make a choice to go with the incentive program or stay with craft.

As someone that loves craft beer, I don't like this one bit. Glad we have a very nice local variety here in Greater Cincinnati but I wouldn't be thrilled to see less variety of craft beer from across the country because of this.

I find this stuff very interesting.

Dude, this could TOTALLY affect your selection in the Cincy area.

I won't lie, I still buy Goose Island and will most likely continue to do so.

Good beer is good beer.

The thing is, the beer giants have really struggled to respond to the craft explosion, and people who are after craft beer are much more likely to pay attention to this sort of event and respond accordingly. It's one step forward and two steps back. Other than being a dumb way to regulate the beer industry, I wonder how long it will be before "craft only" beer distributors pick up the slack. I'm waiting for the day I can get Rhinegeist out East.

Good beer is good beer.

The thing is, the beer giants have really struggled to respond to the craft explosion, and people who are after craft beer are much more likely to pay attention to this sort of event and respond accordingly. It's one step forward and two steps back. Other than being a dumb way to regulate the beer industry, I wonder how long it will be before "craft only" beer distributors pick up the slack. I'm waiting for the day I can get Rhinegeist out East.

Keep me in a steady supply of Heady Topper and Sip of Sunshine and you can get Rhinegeist out East all you want!

Disclaimer: I'm not sure what state you currently live in

I highly recommend the documentary "Beer Wars" to anyone interested in the history of how the big guys have been manipulating distribution for years. This is nothing new, just a new approach to a long-standing problem with outdated (and yes, corrupt) distribution laws in this country. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't understand how anti-trust issues aren't at play here.

Anyway..... check out the documentary. It's quite fascinating.

I wonder how long it will be before "craft only" beer distributors pick up the slack.

Was talking to my boss at lunch about this and said that we need to start a Craft Only distribution. Sure we won't compete with the big dogs but could still make some decent money doing it. I'm sure it won't be long til their are some. Just will take time.

Good beer is good beer.

I'm waiting for the day I can get Rhinegeist out East.

Currently they are only in KY & OH, but even in Ohio, they haven't quite expanded to Cleveland yet, but I believe that is soon. Followed by Indiana.

Rhinegeist turned 2 in July or August, can't remember. They blew through their 10 year business plan in 18 months. So it's exploded and I suspect it will continue growing at a quick rate.

They were just chosen to collaborate with New Belgium on a special 25th anniversary 12-pack. Basically two bottles of a special Rhinegeist beer will be in a variety pack that New Belgium has come June 2016. I'd think that is huge news for a young brewery like Rhinegiest and a great opportunity to spread the ghost outside of KY & OH. Here's a link:

Rhinegeist Brewery tapped for special New Belgium anniversary pack - Story