Class 2A Notebook: 8 Bold Predictions For Round 2

ATLCat

As we anxiously await an action packed Round 2 let's make a bold prediction for all 8 games that does not involved predicting the winning final score.

Butler County (9-2) @ Mayfield (10-1)

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/class-2a-butler-315999.html

BOLD PREDICTION:

Mayfield records 3+ Sacks and Forces 2+ Turnovers

Rex Henderson is special and may very well be the 2A MVP in leading historically down Butler County to an impressive 9-2 mark in impressive fashion. With that said, Mayfield has a massive advantage at the LOS and will create a ton of pressure in the back field. Expect the Cards to lead early and force Butler to air it out more than they like. Henderson will shine, but without the supporting cast expect this to lead to big defensive plays.

Murray (7-4) @ Owensboro Catholic (9-2)

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/class-2a-murray-316000.html

BOLD PREDICTION:

Owensboro Catholic Scores At Least 15 Points Below Their Season Average

The Aces come in averaging a remarkable 45 points per game this season and have hit the 40 point mark in each of their last 7 games.

The Tigers' athleticism and overall grit on Defense will pose some issues the Aces have not seen in a while. Conversely, the Tigers will be able to drive the ball enough to limit possessions. Expect the Aces to score below their normal clip..but still have a more than fair chance of winning despite this.

Glasgow (6-5) @ CAL (9-2)

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/class-2a-glasgow-316001.html

BOLD PREDICTION:

Clay Davis and Cal Lewellyn Combine For 10+ Tackles, 3+ Pass Breakups, force a turnover on Defense and Score a TD on Offense

Big players make big plays and in Class 2A you will be hard pressed to find a better duo of talents to compliment each other like Davis and Lewellyn. The two have made plays all year on both sides of the ball. Glasgow will need to take shots down the field to have a chance and expect one if not both to capitalize on this.

DeSales (9-2) @ Monroe County (7-4)

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/class-2a-desales-316002.html

BOLD PREDICTION:

The Combined Score Of This Game is Less Than 40 Total Points

Monroe is a program who has made a living peaking in November and playing "up" against teams they are expected to lose to. The Falcons have been unable really to ultimately get over the hump for that one signature upset win. DeSales is a clear favorite but also has struggled to find their Offensive Identity. Expect points to come at a premium in this one.

Lloyd Memorial (8-3) @ Walton-Verona (6-5)

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/lloyd-memorial-%40-315918.html

BOLD PREDICTION:

Each Team Has a Back Over 100 Rushing Yards, Each Team Has Another Player With Over 75+ Yards

This will be a game with game breakers on Offense looking to make plays. Neither Defense is capable of locking down the other's Offense and as a result expect the yardage to roll. Walton-Verona has a pair of excellent rushers in Page and Richardson.. Page has been the hot hand as of late. Lloyd has their own premier rusher in Justin Durham, but also has a pair of excellent receivers with big play ability in Gaines and Townsend. In the end whoever makes the most big plays and gets just enough stops wins.

Holy Cross (6-5) @ NewCath (6-5)

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/holy-cross-newport-315911.html

BOLD PREDICTION:

John Harris Gains 75+ Yards and Finds The Endzone 2+ Times

Jacob Smith is the marquee name for the Breds but most likely will be playing this game far from 100%. Harris has picked up the slack all year for NewCath when they have needed help and Smith was banged up. He is a tough runner who loves contact, especially at the goal line.

Leslie County (9-2) @ Danville (10-1)

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/leslie-county-%40-315970.html

BOLD PREDICTION:

Danville Scores At Least Three Long TD's Over 40+ Yards

The Ads biggest advantage in this game is SPEED. Leslie County is a big and strong team, but they are also very flat footed. If Danville can get the edge the Eagles do not have the speed to catch them. Expect Danville's game plan to feature lots of outside running and pass plays trying to get guys in 1 on 1 situations.

LCA (7-4) @ Shelby Valley (9-2)

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/lca-shelby-valley-315949.html

BOLD PREDICTION:

Both Teams Combine to Score Over 65 Total Points

Neither team's Defense matches up especially well with their opposition. Shelby Valley has struggled against teams with high amounts of speed or shear athleticism at the skill positions. Against Franklin County, Paintsville, and Pike Central they allowed 136 points. LCA has a back as good as anyone in 2A in Dillon Wheatley and the combo of Miller and Stucky will be hard to contain as well.

LCA has not fared well against teams who can run the ball at a high level. Danville, Walton-Verona, Powell County, and KCD all ran the ball with relative ease. Shelby Valley can tote the rock! One of the state's most proficient rushing Offenses should find success utlizing the duo of Row and Tackett.

Get the scoreboard bulbs ready!

Excellent! I will second your opinion on Davis and Llewelyn for CAL. And I will add this - against DeSales, they made numerous one-on-one, open field tackles that prevented big gains. They are not head-turners from a physical presence perspective, but those two guys are football players!

Awesome article! Great read. Not being picky but LCA lost to Fairview not KCD. Actually beat KCD pretty well. And yes Fairview ran it down their throats.

I was really blown away by LCA's athleticism and offensive scheme in the game with KCD. And LCA did beat KCD by 19 when they played in September. Not being picky myself, KCD spotted LCA and their terrific offense 21 points in the first quarter, but overall ran for nearly 300 yards and passed for more than 200...and outscored LCA in the second half. No doubt who was the better team, no doubt. But KCD did run the ball well against LCA....and threw the ball pretty well too.

Defense....well that was another story. LCA lit it up. And I give full credit to an amazing back in Wheatley, a moose TE in Stuckey and a very cool customer QB in Miller. Very impressive.

I wouldn't label LCA as an athletic team. A good team but they didn't jump out as athletic. Wheatley is a very hard nosed runner, te is big guy but slow, I thought stuckey was the most athletic player at wr and Miller is a good qb who will hurt you either running or passing if you don't get after him.

I wouldn't label LCA as an athletic team. A good team but they didn't jump out as athletic. Wheatley is a very hard nosed runner, te is big guy but slow, I thought stuckey was the most athletic player at wr and Miller is a good qb who will hurt you either running or passing if you don't get after him.

That's cause you are comparing them to Danville.....LOL. Very few teams are athletic when compared to them this year. And let's remember that over half LCA's starters are sophomores to include the QB, RB, and 3 of their 4 WR's.

Edited by Cobraxx

I was really blown away by LCA's athleticism and offensive scheme in the game with KCD. And LCA did beat KCD by 19 when they played in September. Not being picky myself, KCD spotted LCA and their terrific offense 21 points in the first quarter, but overall ran for nearly 300 yards and passed for more than 200...and outscored LCA in the second half. No doubt who was the better team, no doubt. But KCD did run the ball well against LCA....and threw the ball pretty well too.

Defense....well that was another story. LCA lit it up. And I give full credit to an amazing back in Wheatley, a moose TE in Stuckey and a very cool customer QB in Miller. Very impressive.

My apologies. I thought the article was stating the 4 teams that they lost too. I agree KCD ran the ball really well. LCA just happened to pull that one out.

That's cause you are comparing them to Danville.....LOL. Very few teams are athletic when compared to them this year. And let's remember that over half LCA's starters are sophomores to include the QB, RB, and 3 of their 4 WR's.

Yes I know that they are sophomores. I still think that they have a few guys that have good speed but just not many. Remind me of rockastle and Corbin. I think that LCA and Danville have some good games lined up in the future.

My apologies. I thought the article was stating the 4 teams that they lost too. I agree KCD ran the ball really well. LCA just happened to pull that one out.

They were really impressive, and just as young as KCD. They are going to be a real force in 2A over the next several years. Schedule them with caution.