My 1A Prognostication: Pikeville 34 Russellville 21

I think a lot of folks will be shocked at how the 1a playoffs end up shaking out. I've read many, many topics concerning 1a football this year and have seen a lot of peoples selections for Bowling Green. The common consensus is that Paintsville will battle Beechwood in the title game the 1st weekend of December. I can certainly understand why as these 2 teams have been the most consistent all year long. In saying that, I do have some concerns about both teams.

Let's start with Beechwood. Typically, the NCC game at the end of the regular season will give you a pretty good indication of how each team will do in the playoffs. However, imo, this is really an off year for the Breds and they're as down as they've been in the last 10 years. I don't think that game shows us what we need to know about the Tigers. The last game they've played a team that could challenge them was the Cov Cath game and they were dominated in the trenches by them in a year most would consider one of the weakest in recent CC history.. That and the fact they would have to travel west in the semi's doesn't bode well for the Beechies, imo.

In regard to Paintsville. While the Tigers have been impressive throughout the year, this is not a team accustomed to play 14 or 15 games in a season and the lack of depth will show as they get deeper into the playoffs. They won an overtime game early in the year vs Pikeville, a team that led most of the game. I always favor the loser of the 1st game in a rematch game of fairly equal talented teams. Plus, they have one of the toughest roads to travel in the earlier playoff rounds.

Now that I've given you my reasons why neither of these teams make the title game, let me tell who I think will. From the east, I really like Pikeville to win a rematch vs Paintsville. I'm not completely counting Hazard out of the picture either. I think they could upset Pikeville in the Region title game and if they do, I think they would also knock off Paintsville..

From the west, I like Russellville. While their schedule has been questionable, I really don't see any team in Region 1 that can play with them, giving them a clear path to the semi's. Once their, they'll be at home with Beechwood having to make that 4 plus hour drive. I really like the way Russellville plays at home and Coach Myers is great at preparing his teams for one big game and that's what he'll do. Prior to that, the Panthers should cruise and be able to keep everyone healthy.

In the finals, I think Pikeville's offense will be a little too potent for Russellville.. While Rsv will clearly have the home field advantage, I think the Pikeville D is strong enough to get a few more stops than Russellville does.. Pikeville 34 Russellville 21

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of folks will be shocked at how the 1a playoffs end up shaking out. I've read many, many topics concerning 1a football this year and have seen a lot of peoples selections for Bowling Green. The common consensus is that Paintsville will battle Beechwood in the title game the 1st weekend of December. I can certainly understand why as these 2 teams have been the most consistent all year long. In saying that, I do have some concerns about both teams.

Let's start with Beechwood. Typically, the NCC game at the end of the regular season will give you a pretty good indication of how each team will do in the playoffs. However, imo, this is really an off year for the Breds and they're as down as they've been in the last 10 years. I don't think that game shows us what we need to know about the Tigers. The last game they've played a team that could challenge them was the Cov Cath game and they were dominated in the trenches by them in a year most would consider one of the weakest in recent CC history.. That and the fact they would have to travel west in the semi's doesn't bode well for the Beechies, imo.

In regard to Paintsville. While the Tigers have been impressive throughout the year, this is not a team accustomed to play 14 or 15 games in a season and the lack of depth will show as they get deeper into the playoffs. They won an overtime game early in the year vs Pikeville, a team that led most of the game. I always favor the loser of the 1st game in a rematch game of fairly equal talented teams. Plus, they have one of the toughest roads to travel in the earlier playoff rounds.

Now that I've given you my reasons why neither of these teams make the title game, let me tell who I think will. From the east, I really like Pikeville to win a rematch vs Paintsville. I'm not completely counting Hazard out of the picture either. I think they could upset Pikeville in the Region title game and if they do, I think they would also knock off Paintsville..

From the west, I like Russellville. While their schedule has been questionable, I really don't see any team in Region 1 that can play with them, giving them a clear path to the semi's. Once their, they'll be at home with Beechwood having to make that 4 plus hour drive. I really like the way Russellville plays at home and Coach Myers is great at preparing his teams for one big game and that's what he'll do. Prior to that, the Panthers should cruise and be able to keep everyone healthy.

In the finals, I think Pikeville's offense will be a little too potent for Russellville.. While Rsv will clearly have the home field advantage, I think the Pikeville D is strong enough to get a few more stops than Russellville does.. Pikeville 34 Russellville 21

That's inaccurate IMVHO. This years team is on par with how CCH has been most years.

BUT, that's not what this thread is about. Carry on.

Even if CC is on par with some of their recent teams, 3-7 is still 3-7, no matter how you spin it. The competition level was great, however, in the majority of those, CC wasn't even competitive. A team being blown out for 4 weeks in a row comes in and dominates a supposedly strong Tiger team, doesn't set well with me. I thought the Ironton win was solid, but, they proved to be a Ky school whipping boy by the end of the year and like NCC, is definitely down from prior years.. I like Russellville because prior to the new alignment, they played up 2 classes and were very competitive in 3a and after the new alignment, they've had to face a Mayfield team on the road in the regional finals every year. They have to feel good to have that home field advantage and no Mayfield standing in their way.. I assure you they'll play expecting to win and their won't be any intimidation factor..

As a Pikeville Panther fan, I want to agree with UKfballfan's post. I understand the points he makes. But just don't know. However, imo there's not much separation between the top three, or four in 1-A, and Pikeville has what it takes to be there by having a totally different mindset this season, and actually playing better than what they were at this time last season. The change at QB was huge at mid season. It's REALLY made a big difference. I believe anything can happen on any given football game night/day. I Just hope it's Pikeville in BG this season. They have as good chance as any. Jmo.

You had me until the talk about hazad knocking off Pikeville or Paintsville. I haven't had a chance to see either Beechwood or Russellville but the east is a two horse race. Pikeville strolls into the paintsville game. The tigers have a tougher go about it but barring injury they match up with what I think is a much improved Pikeville team. Pikeville goes to BG

The change at QB was huge at mid season. It's REALLY made a big difference.

YES. This is not the Pikeville offense that was almost entirely reliant on Pugh early in the season. Pikeville is at least a touchdown a game better than they were.

You had me until the talk about hazad knocking off Pikeville or Paintsville. I haven't had a chance to see either Beechwood or Russellville but the east is a two horse race. Pikeville strolls into the paintsville game. The tigers have a tougher go about it but barring injury they match up with what I think is a much improved Pikeville team. Pikeville goes to BG

Hazard can play with Pikeville but they must make plays and get off the field on 3rd down. You can't cough the ball up against good teams.

I will agree that Pikeville will win the east. I will disagree vehemently that the one dimensional offense that Russelville runs out there can beat BW. That's what always killed them against Mayfield, and thats what will beat them against BW. Unless there is another big physical team in the west out there like CCH I don't see anything in there way to BG. Cov Cath is a really good team, and have gotten better as the season has gone on. That early schedule would have resulted in a ton of 0-4 teams

I might agree with you if Paintsville hasn't improved all year or was still dressing 20 or so players. They have improved all season and have developed some depth dressing 45 players now. This is the largest team Paintsville has dressed since the seventies. The kicker is kicking it in the endzone every kickoff so no long runbacks like in the first game against Pikeville. If Pikeville players and fans think they are going to BG I beg to differ.

You must consider how difficult CCH's schedule was this year. record is not everything. and although russelville may be excited, they may also have a fear that Mayfield was the only thing standing in the way of beechwood dealing the same damage Mayfield did to them every year, just a week later in the playoffs.

You must consider how difficult CCH's schedule was this year. record is not everything. and although russelville may be excited, they may also have a fear that Mayfield was the only thing standing in the way of beechwood dealing the same damage Mayfield did to them every year, just a week later in the playoffs.

What Mayfield did to Russellville the past few years isn't too different than what Mayfield did to Beechwood the week after, sometimes, the Beechwood games were not as close, so, to assume, now that Mayfield's no longer in the picture, that Beechwood is going to dominate the way Mayfield did is very premature, in my opinion. Out of the years Mayfield played Beechwood, I felt like Beechwood was better than anyone else they played in the playoffs, in 2 or 3 of those years, but, there were a couple of years that Russellville would have been right there with them and then some. Very similar to Williamsburg last year and Hazard in 2011..

I will agree that Pikeville will win the east. I will disagree vehemently that the one dimensional offense that Russelville runs out there can beat BW. That's what always killed them against Mayfield, and thats what will beat them against BW. Unless there is another big physical team in the west out there like CCH I don't see anything in there way to BG. Cov Cath is a really good team, and have gotten better as the season has gone on. That early schedule would have resulted in a ton of 0-4 teams

Pot meet kettle.. Do you not realize that one of the primary reasons Mayfield beat Beechwood all those years is because the Tigers were way too one dimentional and the halftime adjustments were rather simple.

I will also say this, Mayfield was very fortunate to beat Russellville a couple of times. That so-called one-dimentiaonal offense ran all over the Cardinals a couple of times. Fortunately, they made 1/2 time adjustments and the Panthers wore down late in the game because of depth issues, but, the Wing-T is hard to stop when ran right and they ran it very well a few years..Some years better than others..