Final NKY Power Rankings 11-2-15 Sponsored by Orange Leaf Crescent Springs

Thanks to Orange Leaf Crescent Springs for sponsoring the Northern Kentucky Power Rankings. We encourage everyone to patronize our sponsors, and you can visit them at 2311 Buttermilk Crossing in Crescent Springs. Feel free to bring along this premium coupon when you visit!

attachment.php?attachmentid=52448&d=1443461585

THE RANKINGS:

10) Lloyd Memorial (2A / 7-3) – Lloyd posted their second 7-win regular season in a row this year, closing things out with a 50-37 victory over the 4A Harrison County Thorobreds on the road. Lloyd will take on the 5-5 Carroll County Panthers on Friday, and if all goes as planned, they'll have likely rematches against Walton-Verona and New Cath. Among other feats, the Juggs will have to beat New Cath for the first time in over 15 years if they have any hopes of making their way to the 2A state finals.

9) Newport Central Catholic (2A / 5-5) – The Breds ended a rocky regular season this past Friday with a 14-31 loss to the 1A Beechwood Tigers, finishing out their season at 5-5. New Cath has had a season hallmarked with highs and lows, and strengths and weaknesses – and their record reflects that. They will be looking to shrug all that off and make a push in the 2A playoffs, though, when they start off the post-season by hosting the 4-6 Gallatin County Wildcats this Friday.

8) Scott (4A / 8-2) – There was little surprise to the loss the Eagles suffered this week, being beaten 13-44 by the 6A Simon Kenton Pioneers. However, what has been surprising to some has been the winning attitude and the best-ever regular season record posted by the Scott Eagles. Coach Wooley would beg to differ, no doubt, as he and the Eagles have been working their hardest to change the way folks see football in Taylor Mill over the last few years. Scott hasn’t had a playoff win since 2002 when they beat Bourbon County in the first round of the 3A state tournament, but they look to change that this Friday when host the 5-5 Rowan County Vikings.

6T) Conner (6A / 7-3) – There wasn’t much surprise when the Cougars beat the 4A Mason County Royals on Friday. Conner’s voluntary move up to 6A this year has been questioned by many, but the team has done their best to ignore all the editorial comments and to continue to improve throughout the season, as has been evidenced by their 7-3 record. The Cougars have drawn Campbell County in the first round – a team that they beat 36-14 three weeks ago. However, the second round is likely to be a re-match against the Cooper Jaguars, who handed them their latest loss two weeks ago.

6T) Beechwood (1A / 9-1) – The Tigers finished out their regular season strong this week by beating the rival 2A New Cath Thoroughbreds 31-14. Beechwood is continuing to prove themselves as the team to beat in 1A, and are undoubtedly going to be favored throughout most of the post-season. Their first game is at home this Friday when they take on the 4-5 Eminence Warriors.

5) Covington Catholic (5A / 3-7) – It’s a little surprising to see it in writing, but yes, a 3-7 team is finishing out the regular season as the 5th ranked team in Northern Kentucky. Cov Cath finished out their season against 6A Scott County, losing 56-35. Similarly, the NKY #4 Highlands Bluebirds lost to Scott County 54-28. That should allow for a little bit of scale in the scenario. Regardless, the Colonels will be starting off the postseason with an out-of-the ordinary home game at Dixie Heights’ Rice Mountjoy Stadium this Friday, when they host the 5-5 Anderson County Bearcats.

4) Highlands (5A / 5-5) – The Birds managed to avert a losing record in the regular season with a Week 10 victory over the winless 6A Boone County Rebels. Highlands’ mission is now to put their regular season behind them and to focus on the road ahead in the 5A playoffs. Fortunately, their first round matchup against the 7-3 Woodford County Yellow Jackets should be a relatively easy first week of post-season play.

3) Ryle (6A / 8-2) – Ryle finished out their regular season with a 31-14 win over the 5A Dixie Heights Colonels. Not a huge win for a team hoping to make a run in the 6A playoff bracket, but hopefully the Raiders’ first round match against the winless Boone County Rebels will give them an opportunity to get things rolling again on Friday.

2) Cooper (6A / 8-2) – No action this past week, but the Jags held onto the #2 spot in Northern Kentucky for the final week of the regular season. Cooper will have to have their offensive game plan re-worked a bit if they still haven’t seen the return of Torrey Cordell-Armstrong in their backfield, and the game this week against the Conner Cougars will be a good gauge of where Cooper’s offense stands as the 6A playoffs begin.

1) Simon Kenton (6A / 10-0) – 10-0. The only team in NKY to pull it off. The Pioneers came out of the regular season without a single loss, and largely unscathed. Not only that, but they proved that they deserve their spot by beating the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place teams. Now it’s on to the post-season. So long as the team stays healthy, I have no reason to believe that the ‘Neers will have any trouble making it to at least the 6A semi-finals.

Player Of The Week:

Frank Cetrulo (Bishop Brossart)

Cetrulo rushed for 133 yards on 11 carries, had 2 receptions for a combined 30 yards, and made 5 tackles this past Friday in Bishop Brossart’s win over the Pendleton County Wildcats. Cetrulo helped the Mustangs finish their season with an impressive 9-1 record, an amazing feat for a team that nearly had to close up shop in the preceding offseason.

The ratings are as good as any finishing the regular season. I personally believe Ryle is a better team than they showed against Cooper and will win if they meet again but until they do that these look good based on what took place on the field.

The ratings are as good as any finishing the regular season. I personally believe Ryle is a better team than they showed against Cooper and will win if they meet again but until they do that these look good based on what took place on the field.

We know we know.

Cooper doesn't play Conner this week though

Great job on the rankings all season long. It seems to me the rankings have , for the most part, remained even. The teams in the top ten have been consistent which has been reflected, quite appropriately in the weekly rankings.

As a poster in a previous thread mentioned even though a team like Brossart had a great season they more than likely would not be able to keep pace with a 3 win Cov Cath, 5 win NCC ect, and therefore would not make the top ten. However, would Brossart crack the NKY top 15?

While I don't want Conner to lose to Campbell County, I could see that

Conner had a couple of hiccups in the regular season - only beating Dixie 13-12, and only beating Lloyd 6-0 - but I don't see them having any more performances like that again this season. They seem to have put things together in the last 4 weeks.

Even outside of 6A Conner would be considered a small team, so they may not be able to get for in the postseason, but I'll be shocked if they don't beat Campbell County. Cooper seems to have re-grouped in the absence of TCA, so I think in all likelihood that should have Cooper looking a little better against Conner than they did back on October 24th...but I still am completely expecting to see a Cooper/Conner matchup in round 2 and not a Cooper/Campbell County matchup.

Great job on the rankings all season long. It seems to me the rankings have , for the most part, remained even. The teams in the top ten have been consistent which has been reflected, quite appropriately in the weekly rankings.

As a poster in a previous thread mentioned even though a team like Brossart had a great season they more than likely would not be able to keep pace with a 3 win Cov Cath, 5 win NCC ect, and therefore would not make the top ten. However, would Brossart crack the NKY top 15?

Thanks, footballfan. I enjoyed putting the rankings together, likewise.

At first blush, I think Brossart would have a slight shot at the top 15 (I had them in the 18 spot back on October 19th) but I'll give that a closer look and let you know.

Conner had a couple of hiccups in the regular season - only beating Dixie 13-12, and only beating Lloyd 6-0 - but I don't see them having any more performances like that again this season. They seem to have put things together in the last 4 weeks.

Even outside of 6A Conner would be considered a small team, so they may not be able to get for in the postseason, but I'll be shocked if they don't beat Campbell County. Cooper seems to have re-grouped in the absence of TCA, so I think in all likelihood that should have Cooper looking a little better against Conner than they did back on October 24th...but I still am completely expecting to see a Cooper/Conner matchup in round 2 and not a Cooper/Campbell County matchup.

I agree. Was more a direct reply to Buckeye

While I don't want Conner to lose to Campbell County, I could see that

While I'm sure it could change I have seen extended forecasts of thunder storms Friday. Look at the last matchup between them and tell me the running team and the passing team. Even if it doesn't storm it will be a different game. Both teams will make adjustments from the prior contest.