1A Notebook 10/20/15 - District Showdown Review

We have reached the final week of the district play. There have been some interesting twists and turns and we have some big games this final week. Let's review 1A from a district review angle this week.

District 1

As expected, this district comes down to the final week - #4 Russellville at Crittenden Co. A weak schedule has kept Crittenden Co. from getting into the top 10 in 1A, but if you look closely their schedule is just as strong as Russellville's. Most are expecting an easy win for Russellville in this one but I think it will be closer than most expect and Crittenden County could even pull off an upset if they get some breaks.

District 2

Last week was where the showdown happened in this district. Bethlehem squeaked out a win over then #7 Campbellsville, 14-13, to take the district crown - assuming no miraculous upsets this week. That win give Bethlehem home field advantage, an advantage they will need to help them get to round 3 of the playoffs.

District 3

In a big win over Frankfort, #10 ranked Holy Cross wrapped up the district title as they are huge favorites this week vs Eminence. That game last week also ended Frankfort's 10 year district game winning streak. Frankfort will be battling Ky. Country Day for the #2 seed this week, and trying to avoid back to back district losses for the first time since 2002. A Coach Foley Frankfort team has never lost back to back district games.

District 4

There is no drama this year in district 4. The #1 ranked Beechwood Tigers easily disposed of this year's top district contender, Ludlow, by a score of 62-6. With 1 win Dayton visiting Beechwood this week, the Tigers appear a lock for for their 12th straight district title. There is an interesting battle for the 2 seed with Ludlow hosting Bellevue.

District 5

This district is another one that had its title deciding game played last week. The upstart #9 Brossart Mustangs traveled to #5 Paris with hopes of keeping the dream season rolling and getting a district title. Alas, it was not to be as the Greyhounds proved too much winning 34-21. That was a very important game for playoff reasons as well because as the district winner Paris will not face #2 Paintsville before round 3 of the playoffs. On the other hand, Brossart is going to have a difficult round one opponent and a big obstacle to getting a playoff win.

District 6

This district has been dubbed the "Super District" and it has not disappointed. Last week #6 Fairview sprung a 24-22 upset win over rival and now #7 Raceland. Now Raceland needs to spring an upset of their own over a well rested undefeated #2 Paintsville team to avoid finishing last in the district.

District 7

On the opposite end of the spectrum from the "Super District", District 7 has no teams ranked in the top 15 in 1A. Harlan can go undefeated in the district with a win this week over Pineville. That win might get them into the top 15. If Pineville can post an upset, this district will be in tiebreak mode with Pineville, Harlan and Williamsburg all tied for the title.

District 8

This district is all about #3 Pikeville and #8 Hazard as the other teams in the district are having woeful seasons. Those two played in the district opener two weeks ago preventing any end of the season drama. Pikeville was the clear winner in that game and is looking very strong headed into the playoffs.

Most districts are decided but we have two big games this week whose results will have a major implications for the playoffs - #4 Russellville at Crittenden County and #2 Paintsville vs. #7 Raceland. After Friday the district winners and playoff seeds will be decided and then it will be playoff tuneup week.

I knew i liked your name Voice of Reason... District 1 comes down to Russellville and Crittenden and from what i have seen on here the rockets should not even show up.. but like you said if you look at the schedules and who they have played the Rockets opponents records combined are 22-44, Russellville Opponents are 18-48. Rockets two losses are to Caldwell County in a blowout and to Union County ... if you just look at the score of union game you go blowout... but if you were there and know that it was a 7 pt game halfway thru 4th quarter... So yes the schedules are very comparable .. Rockets have played 2 teams with winning records 0-2 with one closer than score indicates, Russellville has played 2 teams with winning records 1-1 with win being a 10 pt margin... I feel like the Russellville love is based on scores and last few years playing with Mayfield and the lack of love for the rockets being the past 4 years of being in 2a with Murray and Caldwell.. Just my opinion.. of course i might be biased but this will be a hell of a game friday night and hopefully my Rockets can prove ALOT of people wrong... as they say lets settle it on the field

Rocket16 ... The other thing about Crittenden County is no one knows much about their team. Who are the key players? Do they have a good RB? QB? Defense? Everyone knows Russellville has some good backs and you are right, they know they have played Mayfield tough. Tell us a little about Crittenden County and their key players.

Rockets have a class of 14 seniors and 14 juniors, they run the spread offense (tony franklin system) which is a huge change from the usual ground and pound Al Starnes teams, the QB, RB and 3 WR are seniors the starting offense is 9 seniors and 2 juniors so they are "seasoned" the QB has almost 600yds rushing and 1300 yrs passing, RB's have two main backs one with 200yds and one with 300 yrds, WR have 3 with 200+ yrds and 1 over 300, one of the RB has over 300 yrs receiving, so offensively they can put up some points... defense does well all seniors and juniors 1 soph. 7 interceptions and 13 fumble recovers so they are aggressive only given up 171 pts in 8 games (Russellville by the way 179 pts) so i think it will be game friday night and hopefully my Rockets can SHOCK the Commonwealth since no one is giving them a shot

I am wondering about the dynamic in district 3, specifically in the Frankfort game. is Robinson ready to return? There's plenty of talent at Frankfort, but a lot of younger guys who made their share of youthful mistakes against a well oiled HC squad that didn't turn the ball over and weren't penalized much at all.

If Robinson suits up and good to go, what might be a close match up with KCD becomes something different entirely. And if he returns and is ready to go, with a #2 seed and a healthy AR, how far can Frankfort go in the playoffs? Seems crazy talking about a 1 and 7 team. But he's a difference maker.

Go Rockets!! I know they can win!! #79 Travis Mckinney 55 Travis Fitzgerald are both talented ol/dl. #39 Dylan Hollis,#11 Alex Cosby, #12 Tyler Colemon #9 Seth Birdwell all catch & run well. #15 is Qb1 Nick Castiller who has surpassed all expectations for him, he's breaking rocket records every week. This team has a lot of talent! I'm a biased mother but I love Rocket football& this years squad!!

Go Rockets!! I know they can win!! #79 Travis Mckinney 55 Travis Fitzgerald are both talented ol/dl. #39 Dylan Hollis,#11 Alex Cosby, #12 Tyler Colemon #9 Seth Birdwell all catch & run well. #15 is Qb1 Nick Castiller who has surpassed all expectations for him, he's breaking rocket records every week. This team has a lot of talent! I'm a biased mother but I love Rocket football& this years squad!!
Nothing wrong with supporting your team! Good luck Friday night! :thumb: