NKY Power Rankings 10-12-15 Sponsored by Orange Leaf Crescent Springs

Thanks to Orange Leaf Crescent Springs for sponsoring the Northern Kentucky Power Rankings. We encourage everyone to patronize our sponsors, and you can visit them at 2311 Buttermilk Crossing in Crescent Springs. Feel free to bring along this premium coupon when you visit!

attachment.php?attachmentid=52448&d=1443461585

THE RANKINGS:

10) Newport Central Catholic (2A / 3-4) – New Cath showed more signs of struggle this week in their win over 2A Holy Cross. The game was neck and neck through three quarters of play, and the Breds struggled to find much rhythm. Jacob Smith did pull off a solid 193 yards rushing this week, but the fact remains, New Cath’s reliance on Smith will only get them so far, as evidenced by their 3-2 record with Smith in the backfield, and 3-4 record overall. New Cath will be fighting it out with 2A Lloyd Memorial this week in their second district matchup of the season.

9) Lloyd Memorial (2A / 5-2) – This week the Juggernauts added their name to the list of teams that have thumped 2A Newport this season, winning 42-7 on Friday. Lloyd has proven several times over that they mean business on the gridiron, and their near 500 yards on offense this week goes to show they are doing everything they can to make a run at the 2A playoffs this season. With 2A Newport Catholic appearing as their biggest opponent in district competition, the Juggs are going horse-hunting this Friday when they take on New Cath on the road.

7T) Conner (6A / 6-1) – Conner hosted 6A Campbell County this past Friday, and sent the Camels home with a loss. The Camels have had an obvious struggle this season, and the Cougars held them right at their season average 14 points, while putting up 36 points of their own for the win. With such a close game played on Sept. 11th between Conner and 4A Scott it’s still incredibly hard to put a point on which team should be ranked higher, so with a solid performance by Conner this week and no game played by Scott, I’ve got to put the two teams as a tie. Conner takes on 6A Ryle on the road this week.

7T) Scott (4A / 6-1) – No action this week. The Eagles are sitting at 6-1, and will be taking on the 4A Bourbon County Colonels at home on Friday. Bourbon County is 3-3.

6) Beechwood (1A / 6-1) – Beechwood rolled to their sixth win of the season, beating their 1A district competitor Bellevue Tigers 49-0 on the road. With the better part of 500 offensive yards, Beechwood is continuing to flex their muscles, and are building steam as they approach the playoffs. The Tigers will welcome the 1A Ludlow Panthers to Ft. Mitchell on Friday.

5) Highlands (5A / 2-5) – The Bluebirds left David Cecil Memorial Stadium with a solid 42-7 victory over 5A Dixie Heights on Friday. Nonetheless, there were quite a few eyebrows raised on Friday night when Highlands walked into the locker room at halftime only leading 7-0 after struggling to move the ball in the first two quarters. They clearly got their game together in the second half, but the Birds will have some work to do to prepare for the rival 5A Covington Catholic Colonels who will be trying to get their first win against Highlands since 2006.

4) Covington Catholic (5A / 2-5) – Cov Cath ticked off their second win of the season this week against the 5A Grant County Braves in a Saturday game in Park Hills. Cov Cath rushed for over 240 yards, and passed for another 180 yards in a 47-9 victory over the Braves. One new development for the Colonels this week was the addition of Cam Pitzer to Cov Cath’s offense. Pitzer brought some new life to the Colonels’ struggling receiving game, with 5 catches and 2 touchdown receptions. Cov Cath takes on their arch-rivals this Saturday when they play the 5A Highlands Bluebirds in Park Hills.

3) Ryle (6A / 6-1) – Ryle was handed their first loss of the season this past Friday, and there’s no denying that there must be some disappointed Raider fans this week seeing as not only was it a district loss, but it also was suffered at the hands of their hometown rival, 6A Cooper. The game was highly debated in the days leading up to Friday night, but the Raiders struggled to get their usual passing game moving against the Cooper defense, and they struggled with the Jaguar passing game in turn. The Raiders look to bounce back this week against 6A Conner.

2) Cooper (6A / 6-2) – Cooper has proved live and in person that they are the best team in Union, KY this year. Even after star running back Torrey Cordell-Armstrong left injured only moments into the game, the Jags were able to press forward with 220 yards in the air and another 74 on the ground. Cooper also held 6A Ryle’s high powered passing game to only 132 yards, and 58 yards on the ground. Junior receiver Dante Hendrix caught for 153 yards and 1 touchdown in the 27-21 win over the Raiders. Cooper plays at 6A Boone County on Friday.

1) Simon Kenton (6A / 7-0) – Simon Kenton played a far inferior 6A Boone County team this week in their first district matchup, and many folks seemed a bit surprised at the 37-13 final score. However, with the score at 30-0 less than 13 minutes into the game, the Pioneers started switching in their backups. The Pioneers had 9 different offensive players with their hands on the ball on Friday totaling for over 300 yards on offense, and 18 different defensive players with tackles, and allowing less than 150 yards on defense. Simon Kenton will have their second and final district game this week against 6A Campbell County.

Game Of The Week:

Covington Catholic (5A) vs. Highlands (5A)

This rivalry may not impress many, with Highlands having won every game between these two since 2006, but to the folks in Park Hills and Ft. Thomas, this is often THE matchup of the regular season, regardless of records coming into the game. There’s no denying that both of these teams have struggled thus far this season, but there are many people wondering if this is finally going to be the game that Cov Cath is going to get over the recent hump. Kickoff is at 1:00pm on Saturday in Park Hills.

Trending Up:

1A Beechwood – The Tigers are rolling, and are looking more and more like Bowling Green is in their future.

2A Lloyd Memorial – Lloyd is starting to flex their muscles, and they’re looking like they’re going to have their team warmed up and ready right on schedule for the playoffs.

Trending Down:

4A Holmes – The Bulldogs are having a very, very difficult season this year, and lost their 5th game of the season this week to 4A Bourbon County.

6A Ryle – They played tough this week, but Ryle drops a spot in the rankings this week after losing to 6A district rival Cooper.

Again, great job with the rankings. The only thought I have is that it is too early to rank Lloyd ahead of NCC. IMO, the Juggs have to beat the Breds in 2A district play (finally) before they can be ranked higher. Yes, I am a Lloyd supporter, but a little anxious with anticipation for this weeks match up.

Again' date=' great job with the rankings. The only thought I have is that it is too early to rank Lloyd ahead of NCC. IMO, the Juggs have to beat the Breds in 2A district play (finally) before they can be ranked higher. Yes, I am a Lloyd supporter, but a little anxious with anticipation for this weeks match up.[/quote']

I'd agree.

Here is my next five.

Holy Cross

Campbell Co

Dixie

Walton Verona

Bishop Brossart

I am really impressed with the season BB is having especially considering their program was on the brink of collapse not long ago. Boone could probably beat BB, but it seems fair the give the Mustangs some respect for their great run so far this season.

Here is my next five. Holy Cross Campbell Co Dixie Walton Verona Bishop Brossart I am really impressed with the season BB is having especially considering their program was on the brink of collapse not long ago. Boone could probably beat BB' date=' but it seems fair the give the Mustangs some respect for their great run so far this season.[/quote']

Boone would smack Brossart. Great season for BB but...

I think the Northern Kentucky schools, top to bottom, shake out something like this right now:

1 - Simon Kenton

2 - Cooper

3 - Ryle

4 - Covington Catholic

5 - Highlands

6 - Beechwood

7T - Conner

7T - Scott

9 - Lloyd Memorial

10 - Newport Catholic

11 - Campbell County

12 - Dixie Heights

13 - Boone County

14T - Grant County

14T - Holy Cross

16 - Walton-Verona

17 - Holmes

18 - Bishop Brossart

19 - Ludlow

20T - Carroll County

20T - Owen County

22 - Newport

23 - Bellevue

24 - Gallatin County

25 - Dayton

26T - Bracken County

26T - Pendleton County

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

I could see a game between Campbell & Dixie going either way, but I'd make Campbell the favorite based on the fact that Campbell lost to Highlands by 23, and Dixie lost by 35.

Boone's size gives them a leg up on Grant & Holy Cross.

Grant County and Holy Cross...that's a tough call. I'd say HC has had a better schedule thus far, but not by much. Both teams give up a fair number of points most games, and have good offensive performances here and there. I think if they played ten times, they'd go 5-5.

Carroll County and Owen County could likely go either way...they both lost to Walton by 21. Owen did marginally worse than Carroll against Henry County, Carroll did marginally worse than Owen against Grant. Toss up.

Bracken County and Pendleton County...could go either way. Kind of just depends on the day and who shows up more prepared.