Panthers on the prowl

As most of you are aware, it rained on Friday. It rained in the morning. It rained in the afternoon. It rained at night.

Football fields all across eastern Kentucky, and for that matter, the eastern United States, were a soggy mess. But we're not going to let a little rain ruin our Friday night football, are we?

I'll bet the Russell Red Devils woke up this morning wishing all this rain would wash away the memories of last night's loss to district foe Fleming Co.

The Panthers walked into Henry R. Evans Stadium a considerable underdog in the eyes of most. They walked out with an 18-7 win, creating a wide open race in 3A's District 5.

Fleming Co. could only muster 110 yards of offense, but they handled the elements better than Russell and capitalized on a crucial turnover in the 3rd quarter. Trailing 7-6, with Russell driving inside Fleming Co.'s 10yd line, LB Zach Alexander intercepted a Jacob McKee pass and returned it 91 yards for a TD. The pick six energized the Fleming Co. sideline and was devastating for a Russell offense that struggled all night to find it's footing(figuratively and literally).

To make matters worse for Russell, RB Nick Conley(the team's best offensive player by a mile this season) left the game in the 3rd quarter with an apparent shoulder injury and didn't return. At this time, his status is uncertain.

The Red Devils came unraveled in the 4th quarter with self destructing drives due to bad/mishandled snaps. Even when the Center/QB exchange was successful, good throws were hard to come by. The final nail in the coffin came when RB T.J. Miller took a hand off, slipped some tackles and raced to the end zone for a 20yd TD to give Fleming Co. an 18-7 lead.

The Panthers now find themselves leading a district race that many, myself included, thought Russell was sure to win. But, as they say, this is why you play the games. Fleming returns home next week to host a rejuvenated West Carter.

For Russell, it's back to the drawing board. Injuries are mounting up and they still lack an offensive identity. The Devils travel to Falmouth to take on Pendleton Co. next Friday.

I honestly felt that Fleming County was the much more physical team. I think their defensive line was the deciding factor in the ball game.

I can't disagree. Russell finished the game with 174yds rushing compared to Fleming's 42, but the Panthers didn't allow Russell to sustain many drives. They kept Conley bottled up and McKee got nothing outside of one long run.

After losing so many kids from last year, I expected Fleming to be in rebuilding mode. They impressed me last night. The district just got a lot more interesting.