Hardwood/laminate flooring...anyone done it lately?

BigVMan23

Looking at putting some hardwood/laminate down in the house. Think I have it narrowed down to a Mannington product, but definitely not done looking at different suppliers and researching.

I have around 600 feet I'm looking to put down, ripping up existing carpet. Anyone have any recent experience with it? Should I give natural hardwood another looksee? Just sounds to me like a good quality laminate has more advantages and overall less expensive, but I haven't pigeon holed myself into anything yet and in now hurry.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go with a quality laminate over hardwood.

Save a ton of money, and a lot of it seems to be more durable and look nicer IMO.

That's kind of what I am leaning towards, and even the owner of the flooring store I went to alluded to those facts and steered me towards laminate after talking to me, even though the hardwood was more expensive and would have meant more money in his pocket. But he also said some people just want natural hardwood and won't "settle" for anything else. And there are some advantages to hardwood...such as being able to sand and refinish it to your liking...but that's not something I'd be looking to do anyway.

If resale of your house is a concern at all, people almost always comment on hardwood floors as soon as they walk in.

That said, I'm of the opinion, if you're doing something to the place you live, within cost, do whatever you would rather look at every day.

If resale of your house is a concern at all, people almost always comment on hardwood floors as soon as they walk in.

That said, I'm of the opinion, if you're doing something to the place you live, within cost, do whatever you would rather look at every day.

Went to a friends house while in NC last week. They had a nice quality hardwood laminate put down a while back. Looked great and as good as any natural hardwood floor I have seen.

After watching my subcontractors install it in 100+ houses that I build, I've gone ahead and installed it a couple of times...but I'm very well oriented to doing things hands on. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you're already a decent carpenter. And even then, plan for a little more wastage than you would otherwise deem necessary.

Personally, I'm a bamboo floors kinda guy. It's more durable than laminate and just as durable as hardwood, it's cheaper than hardwood, looks as good if not better than most hardwoods (at least the affordable hardwoods), generally comes in more options than hardwoods, and comes from a MUCH more sustainable source than hardwoods.

If you're not interested in bamboo, I'd definitely go hardwood over laminate. Primary reason why...laminates (even the "good ones") can de-laminate if they get wet. Got a dishwasher or a refrigerator with an icemaker sitting on the laminate floor in your kitchen? Better hope those suckers don't ever leak, because if it does, then chances are those planks will de-laminate and you'll be tearing out and replacing your entire kitchen floor rather than just sanding a section of it and re-finishing.

Still, if you insist on going with laminate, please, PLEASE make sure that the laminate surface layer (the top layer of actual hardwood) is absolutely as thick as possible. Preferably something more than 5mm. Reason being, there are TONS of laminates out there that are wafer thin, and as soon as you drag something heavy over them, there's a serious scratch or gouge that goes all the way through the laminate, and then you're replacing sections of the floor rather than sanding down and refinishing a section. I've seen this happen with BRAND NEW laminate floors the minute someone rolls their refrigerator back into place and scratches the laminate...and then their back to square one. Make sure that top laminate layer is THICK!

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

Also, I realize that bamboo is technically a laminate insomuch that there are multiple pieces/strands that are glued together to make a single plank...but the fashion in which they glue it while the fibrous bamboo is being dried out allows the glue to penetrate throughout the bamboo, and makes de-laminating essentially impossible with bamboo flooring.

Also, I realize that bamboo is technically a laminate insomuch that there are multiple pieces/strands that are glued together to make a single plank...but the fashion in which they glue it while the fibrous bamboo is being dried out allows the glue to penetrate throughout the bamboo, and makes de-laminating essentially impossible with bamboo flooring.

Hum, haven't thought about bamboo...I will need to check that out.

Not putting anything in the kitchen or bathrooms, so extensive water/liquid spillage shouldn't be an issue. Did talk about spilling liquids/pet accidents and was told as long as its just not left to sit and cleaned in a reasonable time it should be fine.

Can't remember the exact top thickness...want to say he said 8 mm maybe? Bit I will check again. Did tell me some manufactures are so thin/cheap that they won't even carry their product.

All good info CWB, appreciate it.

Still, if you insist on going with laminate, please, PLEASE make sure that the laminate surface layer (the top layer of actual hardwood) is absolutely as thick as possible. Preferably something more than 5mm. Reason being, there are TONS of laminates out there that wafer thin, and as soon as you drag something heavy over them, there's a serious scratch or gouge that goes all the way through the laminate, and then you're replacing sections of the floor rather than sanding down and refinishing a section. I've see this happen with BRAND NEW laminate floors the minute someone rolls their refrigerator back into place and scratches the laminate...and then their back to square one. Make sure that top laminate layer is THICK!

How think can you find the surface layer made? I keep seeing 10mm and now that I think about it I think that's what this guy told me the product was (Mannington flooring if that helps). is that 10 mm total product thickness or outer layer?

I've installed laminate, hardwood (oak), and bamboo (strand) all within the past 5 years or so. I put laminate in my basement, and it was very easy to work with. Today's laminates look so much like real hardwood that it's hard to tell what it is. The hardwood that I installed at the in-laws, I would never recommend as it scratches very easily. However, it's what they wanted. With bamboo, make sure it's strand bamboo. Strand bamboo is very durable. The bamboo at my parents was the biggest pain to install, but it's the best option of all IMO. Multiple saw blades were used and some nail holes had to be pre-drilled (multiple bits too). I'll do strand bamboo when it comes time to redo my first floor.

Get a sample of laminate, hardwood, and strand bamboo from some local retailers. Take your keys to them and see what happens. With the strand bamboo, you can't tear it up. With 3 kids and 2 dogs, it's my flooring of choice when the time comes.

Also, with laminate (depending on manufacturer) you cannot have a continuous run over 17 to 40 feet (yes there is that big of a discrepancy with manufacturers), and if you have a doorway under 4', they recommend using t-molding. You can't quite get that continuous flow like you can with real hardwood/bamboo.

How does Bamboo flooring do with pets compared to laminate and hardwood? Dogs have basically ruined my carpet so looking to get something new next spring. Thanks for your help!