DragonFire

Who wins?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Warren Central
    • Franklin-Simpson

Series Overall: Warren Central leads 18-17

Series at Franklin-Simpson: Franklin-Simpson leads 9-8

To say this is a significant district game would be to sell it a little short. Franklin-Simpson has already lost to South Warren, and let's face it, Warren Central is going to. Given the relative strengths of the teams, this is expected to determine who gets the 2 seed in the district and a home playoff game, and who starts on the road and stares at the South Warren juggernaut in the second round.

While Warren Central has won 6 straight in the series, the two teams have not met in district play since 2002, the first of those six straight wins. If you believe in historical trends, Franklin-Simpson would seem in good shape. The two teams have alternated wins in their last five district matchups dating to 1994, and it's Franklin's turn. Slightly more current, Franklin-Simpson has not lost two in a row since September of 2013, and have alternated wins and losses this season. They enter having lost to South Warren. Warren Central hasn't won two in a row since last September, and October has been particularly poor to them, going 2-4 in their last six October games, with both wins coming over Logan County.

It's the first matchup for these teams since 2012, after playing from 1973-2002. I'm glad it's back on the regular schedule, and it should be a good one!

If it's raining, I'm concerned. Central hasn't done well establishing their run game, and they had a lot of trouble reeling passes in the other night, and that was just wet ground. They could easily have scored 3 more TDs if their guys could hold onto the ball.

This is the third Wing-T team Central has faced. John Hardin ran for 345 yards, while Meade County ran for 17 (there's very obviously a chasm between the two teams). My guess is that the Franklin rushing total will resemble that of the Owensboro game, when Central allowed just over 200 yards, and a good deal of that came in the last quarter after Central was worn down. In that game, Central almost completely sold out against the run as Owensboro was mostly unable to throw the ball. Franklin has thrown for around 220 yards total for the year. If Central can play their assignments (that's an IF for sure), I think they can at least slow down Franklin's rushing attack unless the Wildcats can make them respect the pass. I expect there will be a good deal of bend, don't break, mentality for Central.

Offensively, like I said, the threat of rain concerns me. The Dragons have not ran the ball very effectively all year long, and I don't know whether Devonte Barber will be back or not from the ankle injury he had against Bowling Green. He's a key player on both sides of the ball, and they miss his bruising rushing ability when he isn't there. The Dragons have speed backs, but have not been able to open holes to run through. If they're forced to rely on the ground game, I don't know that the offense is there. If they're able to throw (or maybe I should say CATCH), I think this game is theirs. The irony is, I think this team would be a great candidate for the Wing-T system Coach Rogers ran, while a couple of his later teams (2011 & 2012 especially) would have been great candidates for this current system. Those teams had much larger lines, and the Wing-T can hide the flaws of a smaller line. The misdirection can do a great job of getting smaller, faster backs into the open field.

Edited by DragonFire