2A Notebook- The Pecking Order Is Starting

ATLCat

As mentioned in "What To Watch" last week, this past weekend was a slate chock full of tough challenges for the Top 15 teams in Class 2A with numerous teams either stepping up in class or taking on highly ranked foes.

The aftermath featured numerous teams in the Top 10 taking an "L" but other teams validating their worth. So what did this weekend tell us?

The Cream Rises

Ever since realignment was announced most felt that a collision course of cosmic proportions was put in place and that Mayfield and DeSales would be the teams everyone would be chasing. With teams ranked 3-6 falling to defeat, it was only fitting that not only did Mayfield and DeSales win... but they made equally impressive statements while doing it.

Mayfield punished 3A #4 Paducah Tilghman 37-14 in a game most felt wasn't even as close as the Final Score even read. The Cardinals dismantled the Blue Tornado in every aspect and overcame some early miscues to clinch it with relative ease.

DeSales took on a 6A Ballard team who was a consensus Top 15 team. DeSales won 29-6, but the story was the physical domination of the Colts' Defense against a big and talented Bruins team with no shortage of speed.

Through 3 games at this point it remains "too close to call".

Losses: Good, OK, Bad, and Awful

As mentioned CAL, Murray, Owensboro Catholic, and Danville all took losses as all played up. In the wake though, a couple teams still impressed in defeat...whereas others may have been exposed.

Owensboro Catholic's loss to Owensboro is the prefect example of a "good loss". The 35-28 loss to the defending 4A Runner-Up raised eyebrows and proved a legitimizing moment. Owensboro is currently being heavily debated as potentially the best team in 5A, and one week after a "bad loss" to Daviess County the Aces have to be on a high note.

CAL fell 28-21 to defending 3A Runner-Up Central. Though some felt CAL was a favorite against the #5 team in 3A, the overall consensus is more of a "Zero Change" against a quality opponent hungry for a win. More on CAL below with the "Stat of the Week".

Danville had the dubious task of 3A #1 Boyle County. Most expected an Admiral loss, but Danville still had a chance to validate themselves as a contender. Instead Boyle cruised to a 42-20 win in a game that seemed out of reach for the entirety of the night. The most concerning aspect for Ad fans had to be the return of some old habits that had plagued them in previous unsuccessful season.

No team though hurt their stock more than Murray. Graves County entered as an unranked 5A team who most felt was considerably down. The Murray Defense which for years has carried the Tigers surrendered 39 points and over 400 yards of offense.

Darkhorses Gallop

In the Pre-Season Preview the Bluegrasspreps' staff tabbed both Monroe County and Butler County as teams to keep an eye on. Monroe handled 4A Allen County Scottsville with ease paving their way back into the Top 10, Butler County lost 52-42..but did so to a heavily favored Top 5 1A Russellville. By comparison Russellville beat Butler County 35-6 a year ago.

The Williamsburg Factor... Updated

As previously mentioned one of the best common opponents to compare would be 1A Williamsburg who opened the year with three consecutive Top 15 2A teams, specifically from the same Region. For those who take stock in these comparisons here is how it played out:

Week 0: LCA 51 Wburg 0

Week 1: Somerset 41 Wburg 20

Week 2: Leslie County 27 Wburg 19

Compare at your own risk.

STAT OF THE WEEK

CAL allowed 93 points in 12 games in 2014 with one of the State's Top Defenses. Through 3 games the Centurions have already allowed 85 points. Things that make you go "Hmmm"

Nice work ATL...how much of CAL's perceived drop is attributed to starting a freshman QB? Programmatically they currently seem to be up there with Mayfield (without quite the lengthy storied history), DeSales or LCA. Don't know the current depth chart at CAL but expect them to be in the playoff hunt regardless.

Nice work ATL...how much of CAL's perceived drop is attributed to starting a freshman QB? Programmatically they currently seem to be up there with Mayfield (without quite the lengthy storied history), DeSales or LCA. Don't know the current depth chart at CAL but expect them to be in the playoff hunt regardless.

I think it comes down to Defense. That stat line I posted above is pretty telling.

What CAL has built themselves on and what has allowed them to beat DeSales in the regular season has been a top Defense. CAL wasn't winning shootouts. It's clear that they are having some issues on that side of the ball finding their identity and getting key stops.

Losing the QB definitely has played a role... but to me if you want to go deep in 2A you have to match the defensive strength that DeSales and Mayfield will bring.

^^^

Now with that said don't think I am throwing dirt on CAL.

They have played a BRUTAL schedule and it is still very early. Entering theDeSales game they were not the favorite in 2014 and they beat the Colts. They have the pieces in place and once they enter District play anything can happen.

It's just as of 9/8 to me it is clear they are a step behind the two monsters of the class.... but make no mistake this is still a really, really good 2A team.

sounds like the CAL freshman QB is indeed making freshman mistakes, but it is early the season I expect them to be at full speed when they face the Colts. I hear that they still have their top defensive player from last season out recovering from some type of surgery and lost another one in preseason to knee injury. And oh, yeah, another 2A team playing up in class. Seems like Desales, CAL and others are at least stepping up to get experience. I applaud them all for playing up! Cannot wait for the Colts vs CAL game. Always a good one

I posted this in a Mayfield thread but thought this might be a better spot for it.

With last Friday's win the Cards moved to within 2 games of Washington Massillon, Ohio on the all time wins list. As of Friday Mayfield has 836 wins good for #5 while Wash Mass has 838 @ #4 . The Cards have been rapidly closing on Wash and have a great shot at overtaking them this season.