Johnson Central to Play Oscar Smith (VA)

ATLCat

**Not to steal the thunder from Tony Cavalier in the Johnson Central 2015 thread, but this probably deserves it's own thread.**

Much has been made of Johnson Central and their non-district foes from out of the State. From Canadian teams to home schooled teams to teams from the inner-city of Philadelphia, Coach Matney has tried to fill a 10 game slate by "any means necessary" drawing ire and criticism along the way.

With the clock ticking down until the beginning of the 2015 season and still short a game, Johnson Central took a swing for the fences and will raise eyebrows once again with their late schedule addition. This time though, it will be for all kinds of different reasons.

Johnson Central has came to an agreement to host Virginia 6A Powerhouse Oscar Smith from the city of Chesapeake in the Tidewater area in Week 3. The original report is this will be a 2 year series with JC returning the over 8 hour drive to Coastal Virginia in 2016.

Oscar Smith fell in the State Semi-Finals and finished 12-2 in 2014. Their lone losses were to the eventual 6A State Champion as well as a defeat on National Television to Miami Powerhouse Booker T. Washington. The Tigers have reached the 6A Finals 3 times since 2008 and came away with two Championships. They have only failed to reach the State Semi-Finals once since 2007.

With Johnson Central an early top contender for the 4A Title this game immediately becomes one of the premier Non-District games in the State. Johnson Central also plays Belfry and Lexington Catholic who are the Pre-Season #1 and #2 teams in the Bluegrasspreps.com 3A Rankings. They will also square off with Ashland in District play, the Tomcats are considered one of the top teams in 4A.

Will this game and subsequent schedule change the perspective of Johnson Central's program?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matney said in an interview for the Daily Independent that as long as a potential opponent would agree to a home & home deal, that JC would play anybody, including Trinity. Apparently he wasn't joking, because Oscar Smith isn't too far from Trinity's level, if at all talent wise.

It's an ambitious endeavor that might result in a humbling defeat, but I like it.:thumb:

Absolutely changes it. Johnson Central has been a good program for a long time, just not good enough to beat Highlands or Covington Catholic. Now that their class has changed they are among the favorites to win a state title and should annually be in the hunt. Playing a game like this will only help them, even if it is loss. No one in Kentucky 4A will have the talent that this Virginia club has. No one will have the speed. If Johnson Central is competitive or wins, then it will be a big-time feather in their cap.

But beyond wins and losses, this hopefully puts to rest any thoughts of Johnson Central avoiding big games. Sure the Golden Eagles will still have their detractors and some will say that waiting until 48 before the season starts means Matney ran out of options, but I think this shows Johnson Central is ready to play big boys. Combine this with a schedule that already included state championship contenders Lexington Catholic and Belfry, along with a strong district opponent in Ashland, and the boys from eastern Kentucky should be well prepared for a postseason run when November rolls around.

^^^^^^

Playing this game...be it as close to kickoff as possible...also tells me they are legitimately tired of the pushover Non-District games as well.

No doubt there were probably options with open dates they could have challenged and beat by 60 points like year's past..but this shows JC was holding out for only a true test and not settling for a meaningless game just to get an extra gate.

The irony of this is the biggest detractors have seemingly been fans of Highlands and CovCath who have taken pot shots. Oscar Smith is better than anyone on their schedule.. and the trio of OS, Belfry, and LexCath would rival the three best non-district teams even the Birds and Colonels are set to play.

The irony of this is the biggest detractors have seemingly been fans of Highlands and CovCath who have taken pot shots. Oscar Smith is better than anyone on their schedule..

I'm all for JC beefing up their schedule. But, you do know CovCath plays Cincy X this year? CalPreps shows X beating Oscar Smith 31 - 17 in a mythical 2014 matchup.

^^^^^^

Playing this game...be it as close to kickoff as possible...also tells me they are legitimately tired of the pushover Non-District games as well.

No doubt there were probably options with open dates they could have challenged and beat by 60 points like year's past..but this shows JC was holding out for only a true test and not settling for a meaningless game just to get an extra gate.

The irony of this is the biggest detractors have seemingly been fans of Highlands and CovCath who have taken pot shots. Oscar Smith is better than anyone on their schedule.. and the trio of OS, Belfry, and LexCath would rival the three best non-district teams even the Birds and Colonels are set to play.

You mean playing non district games like St. X, Scott Co and Lex Cath maybe? OK.

Serious question, how did Mattney get this team to play a home and home with JC when he claims Kentucky teams will not?

A bit of desperation on their part as well I think.

An article was shared saying how Oscar Smith was pushing for a marquee game and a National TV showcase but couldn't make it work out.

Much like JC they just wanted a 10th game badly it appears and the two parties happened to have the same week open.

You mean playing non district games like St. X, Scott Co and Lex Cath maybe? OK.

Oscar Smith would be favored neutral, home, or away vs. all three of the above teams. Not to say those teams are not that good, but have you seen all the D1 from Oscar Smith, impressive to say the least.

A bit of desperation on their part as well I think.

An article was shared saying how Oscar Smith was pushing for a marquee game and a National TV showcase but couldn't make it work out.

Much like JC they just wanted a 10th game badly it appears and the two parties happened to have the same week open.

It will be an interesting series. Honestly i hope JC rolls them over. From the sounds of things that will be tough, but I'll always root for the ky team in a series like this.