1A Notes for Week 0

Looking ahead to Friday night lights 2015 style in 1A, we have discussed some nice matchups for our top 10 teams in the prediction threads. One of the games that seems to be drawing the most interest is #2 Raceland vs. 3A West Carter. It has been interesting seeing that some people seem to think that could actually be an upset win by West Carter. That would be a heck of an upset considering Raceland is considered the team to beat in 1A by some and West Carter hasn't had a winning record since, well, someone fill in that blank for me.

There are several top ten ranked teams facing interesting and challenging opponents in week zero. It would not surprise me to see as many as half the top 10 teams take a loss this week. That would cause some definite shuffling of the order in our rankings.

One team that has no worries about that is our top ranked team, Beechwood. The Tigers are not playing a regular season game in week zero. They will instead host a scrimmage versus the 2014 6A state runnerup Dixie Colonels. Beechwood took a loss to Conner in their first scrimmage so they have some more work to do before taking on 2A #8 Lloyd in week 1.

If we do see some of our top 10 take losses this week, there are several teams that will try to get a win that will move them into the top 10. At the top of that list are the Paris Greyhounds. They certainly have a place in the top 10 in their sights as they visit Frankfort this week. Paris has a veteran team that has been getting better every year. If they can get a win over Frankfort, they almost surely will move into the top 10.

Another interesting game this week is Bethlehem at Nicholas County. Both of these schools have hopes for a strong season in 2015. They each get a chance to show everyone that they are legit by getting a win this Friday. Whoever wins this one will take a nice step forward into rankings consideration.

Ludlow had a winning season in 2014 and they return some nice players. This Friday they host 2A Newport who also had a solid season in 2014. The Wildcats lost some key players and have a new head coach, but a win by Ludlow in this game gets them on the rankings radar.

Another team with a new head coach is the perennially solid Bellevue Tigers. New Coach Woody McMillen will take his Tigers to 2A Gallatin County and try to show everyone that Bellevue will be a team no one should forget about in 2015. It will be interesting to see what the McMillen Tigers look like. Most are expecting a return to the Bellevue roots of pounding the ball on the ground. We will find out Friday night.

One game of interest for different reasons will be the Dayton GreenDevils at the Bishop Brossart Mustangs. This will be Brossart's first game at their new home field - the former Campbell County stadium at the old Campbell County High School, now the middle school. Brossart's program appears to have been saved from extinction by Coach Paul Wiggins. With the new home stadium, renewed interest and a larger roster, and a move from 2A down to 1A the Mustangs will be a team to keep an eye on. We won't have to wait long to see if there has been progress as the Mustangs take on a team that also has revived its program. The Dayton fan base is optimistic about the 2015 season. This game will be a fun one to watch and see whose hopes and optimism are rewarded with a win and get to take those hopes forward on to week 1.

Other games of interest this week:

Louisville Holy Cross at 2A #5 Owensboro Catholic

Ky. Country Day at 4A Atherton

Crittenden County vs. 2A Todd County Central

Optimism reigns supreme this week. Everyone enters their game this week with no losses and a lot of hope. Class 1A truly does appear to have more teams with ranking potential than we have seen in the last few years. In just a few days, the picture starts to become more clear as the pretenders and the contenders come into view. Good luck to all teams and most importantly, best wishes for a healthy season for all players.

Im kind of suprised at all the chatter coming from West Carter. Come Saturday we will know something though lol

New season...raised expectations... and I know they had a solid Middle School team a few years ago.

Glad to see them have something to buzz about.

With that said, the gap to the best teams in their region is substantial to try and close and Raceland is probably the best of the bunch.

To be fair, I don't think the people predicting a West Carter win over Raceland are West Carter fans, they are more so just hoping for a Raceland loss to anyone.

With that said, I think West Carter is going to be much improved and will play a great game. Both teams will benefit from the game and I hope West Carter enjoys much success this season. I have alway been a Coach Brown fan.

Brossart vs. Dayton is the game of the most interest to me. There are a lot of different aspects to look at in that game.

Agreed. Brossart will be a very interesting case to watch. Moving down to 1A will be HUGE for their program and the district only has one team (Paris) that is significantly better than the Mustangs. I don't know if Brossart can beat Bracken, Nicholas, and/or Berea, but they have to like their chances better than against Newport Catholic, Newport, and Lloyd.

That is a very strange district. Is there any other district in the state with the teams spread so far apart? Brossart should be able to do well in that district.

One that comes to mind is 2A-District 7 with Lexington Christian, Danville, Somerset, and Middlesboro, but not many others stretch the distance of Alexandria to Berea.

Did it feel a little different when you woke up this morning? Did you have that feeling of excitement and anticipation that you've been missing for almost a year? For many teams and their fans today is the day. BGP game updates and post game discussions will be in action starting tonight. Are you ready for some football?