What To Watch In Class 2A (Week 0)

ATLCat

DeSales and Mayfield Impress

Scrimmages have to be taken in small doses when setting expectations, but both the #1 and the #2 ranked teams in the Bluegrasspreps.com AA Rankings made outstanding first impressions in their scrimmage debuts.

Mayfield defeated Tennessee AAA Power Milan 21-15 in a live scrimmage. Milan is expected to be one of the Top 5 teams in their class and returned the farm from a State Semi-Finalist team from 2014.

DeSales pounced all over 6A Meade County and thoroughly dominated the Green Wave in all facets. Meade was hit heavy by graduation and have tempered expectations for the 2015 season, but even still field a quality 6A product year in and year out.

Mayfield will open @ 3A Ft. Campbell on Friday in a game the Cardinals are expected to be heavy favorites in. DeSales will visit 5A Fairdale and should see a little stiffer competition.

NKY 2A Jumps Into Action

The best matchup of two 2A teams will happen Friday @ Walton-Verona when the host Bearcats welcome the #8 Ranked Lloyd Memorial Juggernauts. These are two teams with big questions surrounding them, and Friday will go a long way to sorting out the pecking order in Region 3.

Lloyd returns more experience and key playmakers, but must look to prove they can win against the better teams on their schedule. The Dub-Vee had a historic season but have been stretched thin by graduation and need to prove their success was the product of a program and not of an isolated Class of Seniors. A win for the Bearcats would cement them as the early favorite in District 5, whereas a victory for the Juggs would serve notice that they are a viable threat to Newport Central Catholic.

Wildcats and Falcons Step Up

The two darkhorse teams of 2A may very well be #6 Shelby Valley and # 9 Monroe County.

Both didn't exactly play a Murder's Row in 2014, but each squad will test their mettle off the bat in their opener.

Shelby Valley travels to Frankfort to take on #6 4A Franklin County. The Wildcats were exposed against the speed of NewCath and Franklin immediately becomes a barometer which they did not have the luxury of last season. The Fliers also bring a deadly spread attack which was a bit foreign to the Wildcats.

No 2A team though has a steeper hill in their opener than what Monroe County will face aptly at the Home of the Hilltoppers. The Falcons will draw #2 5A Bowling Green in a game that will challenge Monroe with athleticism, speed, and shear numbers.

Both teams have a chance to make a statement, but win or lose expect both games to help these teams 12-13 weeks from now.

I would not put too much into the SK game for CAL. They are missing two of their top players in this game and the game doesn't mean anything to them in the long run

I wouldn't say that. Execution will improve throughout the course of the season. Endurance will go up as players get into better game shape. Physicality, that's what games against bigger schools expose. Do you have it or don't you? That is the hardest thing to improve during the season. I feel like CAL will do well against the 'Neers, especially if they can mix up the O.

Monroe is shooting extremely high in their opener with four 4a-6a teams to follow after that. They get back to 2a at game six. After last seasons injury ridden team and going 2-9 they have a lot to prove to themselves as well as their fan base. BG will test the true heart and core of this group. If they play to their ability and with some luck from the football Gods this will be a great opening season for the Falcons. Big things happen in the post season to those teams that schedule hard....

Monroe is shooting extremely high in their opener with four 4a-6a teams to follow after that. They get back to 2a at game six. After last seasons injury ridden team and going 2-9 they have a lot to prove to themselves as well as their fan base. BG will test the true heart and core of this group. If they play to their ability and with some luck from the football Gods this will be a great opening season for the Falcons. Big things happen in the post season to those teams that schedule hard....

Hypothetical..and a I pray this does not happen....

WHAT IF Monroe gets beat up again physically playing this grueling schedule and by the time they enter 2A play they are once again missing key pieces and are lacking confidence.

Would the schedule be viewed as an error on the staff's part just as it would be viewed as a bold move if they make a deep run?

I heard CAL is starting a Freshman QB. Is that because of one of the players they will be missing? If so, that is indeed a key loss. Who is the other one?

No, as of right now (no injury), freshman Austin Carr is the starting QB. Injury to a defensive end and safety (two key players). Probably two of CAL's three best players in my opinion.

I hope it's the later of the two my friend. After last season i am not sure any of us could handle a season with multiple injuries. All the boys are healthy and conditioned, I see exactly what you are saying. I guess it's a gamble that if it works it will pay big dividends!!!!