4A #9 Warren Central vs. 5A #5 Owensboro (at WKU)

DragonFire

Who wins?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Series History: Warren Central leads 8-6

Series at Western Kentucky University: First Meeting

This game was originally due to be at Warren Central, but with renovations ongoing, they stepped up to the site of the state finals, Western Kentucky University. Each team now has intentions on beginning and ending their season at the same place. Last year Owensboro won a nailbiter 28-26 at Warren Central, surviving a late two point conversion attempt in a game played in the face of driving wind. The teams have alternated wins in their last five meetings, who takes this one?

Last years game was nasty! That wind was brutal. I remember OHS punting the ball and it flying back 15 yards. I think this years game will be close and hard fought. If you base predictions on the scrimmages, it may be fair to say that Warren Central is the favorite. I heard the Dragons looked good versus Christian County and OHS not so much against Graves and Madisonville. I didn't get to see the scrimmage so my prediction will be solely based on the weapons OHS has coming back. Could be a classic.

Owensboro 21

Warren Central 14

I'll take Owensboro by 10. The Red Devils return a lot of starters from the 4A state runner-up team. Both teams have new coaches. That makes it tougher to pick. These two teams are the only ones that schedule Bowling Green regardless of class. I hate to see either lose. We have a great rivalry with both teams.

I did not hear about the WC vs Christian County Scrimmage. Anybody care to provide info on that?

I think the Red Devils prevail, but maybe not by as much as I first envisioned. I may have short-changed the Dragons in the Preseason Power Rankings. Let's see if they call me on it.

OHS went into the scrimmage against Madisonville and Graves County with no preparation for either team. Plus we play Madisonville and Graves County both so you are not going to show your hand so not much in the play calling. However, Zach Gross did a good job as a first-time starter at quarterback. OHS has great speed and the defense did a good job. The line is big and did well for the first time out. This team is ready to finish what they started last year. Warren Central better strap it on tight. OHS 28 - Warren Central 7.

I did not hear about the WC vs Christian County Scrimmage. Anybody care to provide info on that?

I think the Red Devils prevail, but maybe not by as much as I first envisioned. I may have short-changed the Dragons in the Preseason Power Rankings. Let's see if they call me on it.

Central scrimmaged Union County first for two "quarters" (actually two 20 minute running clock periods), and then about 45 minutes after that scrimmaged Christian County in the Colonels first action of the day. I was decently pleased with how they looked against Christian County. The lines are going to hurt them and they have no depth there, so they have to stay healthy. The Dragons looked very good on their first offensive series, quickly driving for a TD, and then really only got two other ones - both poor showings - thanks to the format and long Colonel drives. After forcing a three and out on the first series, Central's D bent about as far as it could go before not breaking. Christian County had a 14 play drive that took the remainder of the quarter and into the next, getting inside the 20 but eventually turning over on downs. The Colonels converted two third downs on the drive. Central's second offensive possession resulted in a bad snap that led to a safety to make it 7-2. Central held them to a three and out on the next drive, but likewise went three and out. Christian County started around their own 40-45 on the last drive, and two plays in fumbled the ball away, but got it back thanks to a facemask penalty (which to be frank, I still can't identify on film, but hey, it's a scrimmage for the refs too). On 3rd and 10 from the 20, Langhi scrambled to his right, drawing a defender off a receiver, and hit him for the game-winning TD. By the time they lined up for the PAT, and later finally kicked off, about 3 minutes had bled off the running clock, leaving Central only time for two plays, and Christian County won 9-7. Damani Walker was the star of the day for Central. I'm glad he's finally getting utilized on offense more.

I expect Owensboro to win, but honestly, as tough as Central's schedule is, there's only one game I'd say they CAN'T win, while there are several others I don't think they will. But they may surprise some who are more down on them. ;)

Warren Central and OHS always loaded with athletes - speed usually everywhere. I think Oboro returns more. Huge O-line for OHS again which moved the ball on everyone last year. That said - playing the Dragons has never been an easy game

OHS 21-7 (close through most of the game)

Dragon, thanks for the info! Warren Central has way too many quality athletes roaming the halls to be down for very long. All it's going to take is a solid coach and the Dragons will be a force to be reckoned with once again. As I previously stated, I think Friday's game will be a close, hard fought game, that will do nothing but benefit both teams.

Brown, that's the word I've received as well. I noticed that they tend to put Vasaad on the outside of the d-line in the 3-4. Seems to me, that he could do more damage at the noseguard (ie Matt Elam). It would take a double team EVERY PLAY, possibly even a third blocker. That would free up a ton of space for the other guys on defense. With Greer at the defensive end spot, it's going to require him to run and pursue a lot more, which could wear him down. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I do agree that Vasaad doesn't need to play o-line unless it's absolutely necessary. Returning 9 of 11 starters from a state runner-up defense is quite the luxury for a first year coach. Can't wait to see the Jay Fallin era kick off on Friday!