Bath County uses field goal to defeat East Carter, 3-0 (Scrimmage)

The games first big played took place, with 10:45 seconds left in the opening half. Kane Phillips(5-8-150)made a nice play on a pass thrown by Brody Donaldson(5-10-150)and picked it off. He made a nice run back but a flag negated that part of the play.

With 9:58 left in the quarter East Carter had a long touchdown called back. Penalties on the East Carter offense would be a theme through this live scrimmage. I am guessing coach Champlin will address this multiple times in practice this coming week.

The Bath defense got a sack on East Carter QB, Taylor Hicks(6-0-175)when Layne Easton(6-2-185) got to the signal caller for a big loss. with 8:25 left on the clock.

The sack would cause East Carter to punt the ball away on the next play.

With the game still scoreless and 3:19 left on the clock Nathan Swartz (5-10 200)put the ball on the ground and the East Carter defense emerged from the pile with the ball.

Both defenses would play very well throughout the first quarter and the only scoring other scoring threat would come with 9:37 left in the quarter. The scoring threat would come on a fifty-yard field goal attempt by Caden Messer but the kick came off of his foot poorly causing the kick to be very short.

With 6:52 left in the half Dalton Whitt(5-6-135) took off on a nice 28-yard run and if not for a nice tackle by Landon Swartz(5-8-150)the play would have gone for a lot more.

5:45 showed on the clock when Michael Denkins (5-10-200)pounced on a loose stopping what momentum East Carter had and giving it back to Bath.

4:05 was left on the clock when Darin Phillips (5-6-170)broke loose on a thirty-five-yard run. It looked like the East Carter was going to get things Joseph Campbell(6-1-165) was able to sack Taylor Hickle(6-0175) with 3:34 left in a very competitive first half.

East Carter opted to go for it on 4th and 4 with 1:54 left in the half. Dalton Whitt(5-6-135) had his number called but the very talented Taylor McFarland (6-1-220) along with teammate.Marvin Ball(6-0-175)stopped him well short of the first down marker.

The game would be locked at zero as the two teams headed to the short break.

There would be a few nice pays in the final stanza and the first came on an 11-yard run by Darin Phillips(5-6-1700, which could have gone for more if not a nice tackle by,McFarland. The McFarland kid stood out for Bath as he seemed to be around the ball a lot and he gave whom ever was in front of him fits all game long.

The Bath defense got a nice play by Ball with 10:22 left in the game, when he took down Phillips, after he had gained six yards.

The only points of the contest came with 4:10 left on the clock.

Messer came in for a 26-yard field goal and this time he showed everyone just what a powerful weapon his leg is. He not only made the kick with ease, it would have been good from at least fifty. For those who have not heard or seen this kid kick, you need to, if you like that part of the game.

The last threat for East Carter ended with 1:09 left in the game, when Mason Compton(6-1-170) picked off a pass thrown by,Hickle

Over all I believe that these two teams were evenly matched and if not for the 15 or 20 penalties(it seemed like that many)on East Carter, this one most likely would have ended in a win, for them.

This is my thoughts only as is the next little bit you are reading.

Both of these teams are run first teams, with little or no threat of a passing game.

I believe that neither will be able to overcome being behind by two scores or more,without developing a passing game or at least the threat of one.

UNOFFICIAL GAME STATS

BATH

34 PLAYS

176 YARDS

PASSING 0-3

EAST CARTER

37 PLAYS

119 YARDS

PASSING 0-4 1 INT

Edited by newarkcatholicfan

Only one correction is that Hickle threw the last interception to a Bath play, I don't know if there's a Brody Donaldson on Easts roster.

Good recap though!! You covered it quite well, both teams will have to get better offensively (even though it's a scrimmage and I know both teams weren't running the bulk of the playbook)

But that's a good recap hopefully you can make it to some more games!

Only one correction is that Hickle threw the last interception to a Bath play, I don't know if there's a Brody Donaldson on Easts roster.

Good recap though!! You covered it quite well, both teams will have to get better offensively (even though it's a scrimmage and I know both teams weren't running the bulk of the playbook)

But that's a good recap hopefully you can make it to some more games!

Thanks I had written down the wrong name.