Lafayette's Wills Rare Five-Star Recruit

Ram

Lafayette lineman Wills emerges as rare five-star recruit from Kentucky

BY BEN ROBERTS

broberts@herald-leader.comJuly 22, 2015

One of Mark Stoops' stated goals early in his tenure as the University of Kentucky's football coach was to bring the commonwealth's best high school players to Lexington for their college careers.

He's not going to see many better than Jedrick Wills.

A 6-foot-5, 315-pound offensive lineman, Wills is entering his junior season with the Lafayette Generals, and he's already considered one of the nation's best recruits for the class of 2017.

Read more here: Lafayette lineman Wills emerges as rare five-star recruit from Kentucky | High School Sports | Kentucky.com

5 star recruits from Kentucky seem to be getting less rare recently.

2013: James Quick was a 5 star on Scout

2014: Matt Elam was a 5 star on 24/7

2015: Damien Harris was a 5 star on just about every service

2017: Jedrick Wills is one on Rivals.

Heck even in the 2016 class KY has produced the #1 center in the nation in Drake Jackson. The state is putting out more elite talent than ever before.

In my opinion ranking or rating these player stars is kinda, not always OVERRATED. I say hard work beats talent every time. They took a pole of all the players that participated in the Super Bowls and low and behold, not one player on the rosters were 4, 5 star players in HS/ College. just saying.

In my opinion ranking or rating these player stars is kinda, not always OVERRATED. I say hard work beats talent every time. They took a pole of all the players that participated in the Super Bowls and low and behold, not one player on the rosters were 4, 5 star players in HS/ College. just saying.

I have been to several camps this year one kid I have seen several times is a " 4 star" recruit from Ohio...I have watched him get bullied in one on ones multiple times. It really made me wonder how he got that high of a rating.

Player rankings are media hype. Kids that do not go to camps, or cannot afford to go to camps are often slighted and may have adequate talent to compete with the "big boys." That being said it is what we have to deal with in the age of social media and a desire for instant feedback. Wish nothing but the best for this young man and congratulations on this honor. It is always good for a kid from Kentucky to be regarded amongst the nations best, and is nothing but good for football in our state.

Yet Alabama, OhioState, Florida State, LSU etc continue to somehow win with rosters loaded with those over rated high stars kids. And the first round stays packed with those same kids. Terrible. Are there misses? Of course. For the most part it works.

Not one player on either Super Bowl team was a 4 or 5 star recruit? Where did you get this information? I'm willing to bet that is false.

Yet Alabama, OhioState, Florida State, LSU etc continue to somehow win with rosters loaded with those over rated high stars kids. And the first round stays packed with those same kids. Terrible. Are there misses? Of course. For the most part it works.

Again I mentioned OVERRATED but not always... What part of what I said is " Terrible "? I'll give a great example. ALL WORLD/ Star LB from Boyle County L. Dawson. Everyone in the country wanted him. He is now a redshirt senior and still has not done a thing. So let go back to my statement being overrated, but not always. Thanks for reading through my first comment.

Well now I don't recall everyone calling L. Dawson ALL WORLD. He was not even a 4 or 5 star player, according to records, plus he had a Knee injury that has slowed him down the last year and a half. Lamar was a good player and your are right a lot of schools wanted him but for a kid to come from a small town like Junction City. I that is pretty good. So I don't think he was to overrated being he was not even a 4 or 5 star player coming out of High School. I do agree that a lot of the kids are overrated but I would love to have a lot of 3 stars that will work hard and make a name themselves.

If Willis keeps playing the way he is and can improve himself like he said. Then other teams better watch out. This kid is a Monster.

Well now I don't recall everyone calling L. Dawson ALL WORLD. He was not even a 4 or 5 star player, according to records, plus he had a Knee injury that has slowed him down the last year and a half. Lamar was a good player and your are right a lot of schools wanted him but for a kid to come from a small town like Junction City. I that is pretty good. So I don't think he was to overrated being he was not even a 4 or 5 star player coming out of High School. I do agree that a lot of the kids are overrated but I would love to have a lot of 3 stars that will work hard and make a name themselves.

If Willis keeps playing the way he is and can improve himself like he said. Then other teams better watch out. This kid is a Monster.

Not once in any of my quote mentioned a current player(s) name. All I said was the STARS or Ranking on these kids. Sometimes it is overrated, but not all. Never mentioned that the Lafayette kid was overrated.

The system and how they compile the STAR or RANKING system is sometimes overrated.... NOT THE PLAYERS. Please lets that clear. Often times you all would see a lower STAR athletes excel better than a higher star athlete in the level. Am I right? So whomever/ scouts compiles these stats that makes them an upper STAR athlete, then they are the ones that are overrated.