White Open Carry vs. Black Open Carry

Let me go ahead and say I don't agree with open carrying. With that said, I think we can all see the difference between these two guys and how the situation was handled.

I know that despite this, plenty of people will probably be defending the officers, and you can go ahead and do so and I really don't care, but the reality of this is fairly obvious and is what it is.

Cue the same tired arguments of "well, 99% of officers do their job right", "this was baiting the guy", "you don't appreciate my job"... there. Got those out of the way for everyone. Hope I didn't leave any out.

This was obviously a staged thought experiment, but one guy carrying an AR-15 should be perceived to be as dangerous as another.

And again, I don't agree with open carry.

It would have been a more accurate representation if the same police department or same officer was used. Also, same area of city, etc.

I would also be interested to know if they even used the same city.

It's easy to get the desired video if you use different devices to your advantage. Where was the first subject? What area of town? High crime or low crime area? Did pick a specific department for each encounter? Why not use the same dept?

Too many variables we don't know the answers to. I cannot condemn nor defend the officers without knowing those variables.

It would have been a more accurate representation if the same police department or same officer was used. Also, same area of city, etc.

I would also be interested to know if they even used the same city.

It's easy to get the desired video if you use different devices to your advantage. Where was the first subject? What area of town? High crime or low crime area? Did pick a specific department for each encounter? Why not use the same dept?

Too many variables we don't know the answers to. I cannot condemn nor defend the officers without knowing those variables.

Hahaha... True to the bolded. It's kind of like when someone yells "stop resisting" just outside the dash cam's view, right?

To be clear, I'd have been fine with both guys being asked to lay on the ground.

1.) How do we know these were filmed by the same group? The first video has been going around the internet for a long time. I think someone just found the two videos and put them together.

With that said, Im certain you could find videos of white people open carrying being treated similar to the black guy and vice versa.

Also, open carrying a rifle is stupid.

Agreed that this would mean more if it were in the same city and same department.

Also, we don't know why police were responding. Did they get a call? What was the call?

1.) How do we know these were filmed by the same group? The first video has been going around the internet for a long time. I think someone just found the two videos and put them together.

With that said, Im certain you could find videos of white people open carrying being treated similar to the black guy and vice versa.

Also, open carrying a rifle is stupid.

Agreed that this would mean more if it were in the same city and same department.

Also, we don't know why police were responding. Did they get a call? What was the call?

The call was:

"We've got a negro with a big gun walking around in public. Do you copy?"

The video of the confrontation with the white guy in the first link has been out for quite a while, in fact most (2nd Amendment and Open Carry proponents) recognize it as the perfect reaction from a police officer and I think it may actually be shown at some police academies when open carry is discussed.

Looks like someone just went looking for a couple of YouTube videos to display a point. As others said without knowing the situation or what "Eye Witnesses" may have reported to police you never know the entire story. The second one dose seem like an over reaction...but in hindsight the officer controlled the unknown situation...didn't go off...and waited for backup for the safety of everyone.

It's perfectly legal for me to carry an AR into Walmart, but if I don't think/expect someone to call me out or ask me about then I would be fooling my self.

For those that think the police should never stop or question someone walking around with an AR, wouldn't have been nice if an officer had been behind the theater in Colorado to question the guy walking with the AR and the Shotgun?