Why...?

...is baseball the only team sport that plays sub-varsity games the same duration as varsity in Kentucky?

I recently sat through a freshman game that took almost 3 hours to play. Neither team's pitcher could consistently throw strikes and when they did neither defense could get an out. It was painful to watch.

...is baseball the only team sport that plays sub-varsity games the same duration as varsity in Kentucky?

I recently sat through a freshman game that took almost 3 hours to play. Neither team's pitcher could consistently throw strikes and when they did neither defense could get an out. It was painful to watch.

I've sat through varsity games that have been equally bad. And I've sat through plenty of Freshman/JV games that were 2-1 games played in an hour and a half. Obviously baseball is unique in the sense that there is no clock. I'm not sure what would be gained by shortening JV and Freshman games. I guess you could shorten them to 6 innings, but I really don't think that would make a huge difference. Bad baseball is bad baseball whether its played in 7 innings or 5 innings, and a bad 5 or 6 inning game will probably take longer than a good 7 inning game. And universally, baseball at those age levels play 7 inning games.

So I guess the answer to your question is I don't know.

It's interesting that JV Fast Pitch is only a 5 inning affair, as are FP Freshman games. Where' the Title IX outrage ? :)

This is required since more players try out for freshmen baseball, than try out for all levels of softball combined! Love that Title ix! Let's keep it fair! After all, every girl deserves 4 times the opportunity to play the sport of their choice. Don't get me started:stop:

I had heard that most other parts of the state plate jv/varsity DH with the JV game only being 5 innings. It has to be because of their fields having lights. Not enough fields in NKy have lights to be able to do this.

Anyone add to this?

We play varsity first and then a 5 inning jv after. The freshman have a totally separate schedule. Its a lot of baseball, and a ton of time no matter how you slice it. Baseball isn't for the feint of heart....that is certain. Those coaches and players sacrifice a great deal for little recognition, consideration, or support in many school systems.