Study Finds New Music Discovery Generally Stops Around Age 33

Do you or don't you still seek out new music?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you or don't you still seek out new music?

• I'm younger than 33 and I still seek out new music.
    • I'm younger than 33 and I do not seek out new music.
    • I'm younger than 33. I listen to new music, but I don't seek it out.
    • I'm 33 or older and I still seek out new music.
    • I'm 33 or older and I do not seek out new music.
    • I'm 33 or older. I listen to new music, but I don't seek it out.

Is it true for you?

Study: New Music Discovery Stops at Age 33

"That's according to an informal online study that compiled data from U.S. Spotify users and The Echo Nest, a music data and intelligence firm. After analyzing playlists and listening data, the study found that people stop discovering new music at age 33. Discovering Pearl Jam at 35-years-old or falling in love with some James Taylor tracks doesn't count—this study is focusing on new music you'd currently find on the Billboard charts.“Two factors drive this transition away from popular music. First, listeners discover less-familiar music genres that they didn’t hear on FM radio as early teens, from artists with a lower popularity rank. Second, listeners are returning to the music that was popular when they were coming of age—but which has since phased out of popularity,” the study says."

I'd agree, although I'm currently 33 and gave up on new music a few years ago. My first couple years out of college was the last time I was really focused on new music. Of course since then I've married and have a child, both distractions to the way I used to consume music.

I'm 27, so the study doesn't really apply to me. However, one of my favorite things is discovering new music. I don't foresee a point ever where I stop exploring and trying to find something new to love.

With that said, the Billboard charts aren't the first place I look to make those discoveries. I explore similar acts of bands I already know I love, and branch out from there.

I'm not sure if it's true for me or not. At least not just yet but the clock is ticking and I should know in a few years.

With that said I've never considered myself average so maybe I stopped discovering new music a few years ago. I do t think I have though.

There's only so much time in the day. If someone shows me something I've never heard before, I'll give it a listen, but taking the time to seek it out is just one of the things that's fallen by the wayside as I've gotten older.

I'm 31.

47 and still actively looking for new stuff.

In case you're wondering, you're generally not gonna find the good new stuff on the radio.

Maybe your local college radio station. WNKU had the new Decemberists album as album of the month when it came out and they showcase new stuff like that.

At 45, I still consider myself pretty open minded when it comes to music. I worked in the industry (on the retail side) for about 7 years, so I had constant access to new music. And with XM radio in the car (and driving a lot of miles), and online music straming services like Pandora, it's easy to seek out and find new music.

Every time I get into the "Family" car the radio is on local popular music station. Some is pretty decent a lot of it sounds exactly alike. Having a teenage daughter and a hipper than me wife means when I'm with them I'm listening to new music more than older stuff.

One thing we all agree on is that current new country music is horrible and every song pretty much sounds the same.

Sometimes when they are feeling sorry for me we listen to a local station that plays a mix of current and classic rock/pop music.

I'm ashamed to say that One Direction is a lot better than I ever thought they would be :bag:

Every time I get into the "Family" car the radio is on local popular music station. Some is pretty decent a lot of it sounds exactly alike. Having a teenage daughter and a hipper than me wife means when I'm with them I'm listening to new music more than older stuff.

One thing we all agree on is that current new country music is horrible and every song pretty much sounds the same.

Sometimes when they are feeling sorry for me we listen to a local station that plays a mix of current and classic rock/pop music.

I'm ashamed to say that One Direction is a lot better than I ever thought they would be :bag:

I would agree on the current radio stuff, sadly you have to look for good country, but if you look.

There's several very good artist like Sturgill Simpson, Drake White, Sundy Best, Cody Jinks, Jason Isbell, Shooter Jennings, Ryan Bingham, to name a few.

I would agree on the current radio stuff, sadly you have to look for good country, but if you look.

There's several very good artist like Sturgill Simpson, Drake White, Sundy Best, Cody Jinks, Jason Isbell, Shooter Jennings, Ryan Bingham, to name a few.

Really like the bolded...not a fan of ol' Shooter though. Might need to give him another chance.