How would you organize KY by region for football?

In hoops it is easy because the KHSAA breaks it down for us and there is only one classification. I am not looking for any discussion on hoops, just setting the stage for football.

For football how would you organize meaningful regions? Obviously NKY is one region. Lexington is one region but should Lexington include Central KY? Louisville is a region. Beyond on that how would you break it down and/or what is considered meaningful for the teams/fans from those areas? In other words, is calling EKY a region really meaningful? Or would you consider it more like a southern EKY region and a northern EKY region?

In short, how would you organize KY by region for football and have it mean something? You can just list the regions how you see fit, you can explain, or ideally you can do both.

You dont' date=' seed the teams 1-32 and go in each classification. If they have to travel more than 3 hours to the game site, games moves to that Saturday instead of Friday.[/quote']

Fine by me. Love the idea

Fine by me. Love the idea

Wont every happen. HS wrestling has begged for this for years. Middle School finally did it 2 years ago just to prove it could be done and its been great. KHSAA just turns up their nose at it. Thats what they do.

To be honest if you did seed, teams 25-32 may just decide not to play, that would give all you peeps that want the #1 seeds to have a bye, a bye.

It can be done, KHSAA doesnt have........well.....enough air in their balls to do it.

How would you determine seeding when a team from WKY is 9-1 a team from EKY is 9-1 a Team from NKY is 9-1 and a team from SKY is 9-1 and they likely have no common opponents?

My guess is someone will suggest a computer system set up by giving points for your own wins and also your strength of schedule.

YOUR OWN WINS RECEIVE:

1pt. for each win vs. an opponent in a class lower than you.

3pts. for each win vs. an opponent in your own class.

5pts. for each win vs. an opponent in a class higher than you.

FOR STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE:

1pt. for each win any opponent of yours has against a team in a class smaller than yours.

2pts. for each win any opponent of yours has against a team in a class the same as yours.

3pts. for each win any opponent of yours has against a team in a class larger than yours.

Would be tough to calcuate on your own but a spreadsheet formula could be set up fairly simply to do this.

I'd say just let this system figure out the seeds for how to play the REGIONS though (first 3 rounds) -- not the entire state (travel reasons). For instance, Region 1=Western/SW Ky, Region 2=Louisville/SCentral Ky, Region 3=NKy/Central Ky, Region 4=Eastern & Southeastern Ky.

Then, seed the Semi-Finals based on the winners of each region.

How would you determine seeding when a team from WKY is 9-1 a team from EKY is 9-1 a Team from NKY is 9-1 and a team from SKY is 9-1 and they likely have no common opponents?

It's not as difficult or as problematic as you think. In fact, I'd argue it wouldn't matter much how those top 4 are "seeded", as long as they are the top 4.....they then wouldn't meet until the semi finals. Who would be "number 1" isn't really an argument that would be worth having. The top and bottom of any playoff "bracket" would really be easy to figure out. The problem is working out the middle.

NKY (Northern Kentucky)

Louisville (Including the counties that touch Louisville)

Central Kentucky (Including Lexington)

NEKY (Johnson County to Lewis County and Ohio River to Morehead)

EKY (Floyd County to Harlan County)

SEKY (Everything past Pike County to Tennessee)

WKY (True Western Kentucky)

SWKY (From Western Kentucky to the other regions)

SCKY (East of SWKY and south of Central Kentucky)

SKY (The remaining southern area)

It's not as difficult or as problematic as you think. In fact, I'd argue it wouldn't matter much how those top 4 are "seeded", as long as they are the top 4.....they then wouldn't meet until the semi finals. Who would be "number 1" isn't really an argument that would be worth having. The top and bottom of any playoff "bracket" would really be easy to figure out. The problem is working out the middle.

Wasn't really a question who'd be #1 , just using those records as an example...could be 6-4 each or 7-3.

If Coach J's method was used there would be a lot of crappy big schools with small schools begging to play them.

As long as we are spit balling:

16 largest enrollment schools in Division 1

16 smallest enrollment schools in Division 5

Remaining schools split evenly into 3 divisions from largest to smallest.

Split the schools in each Division geographically into 4 regions.

Everybody in the playoffs (like baseball and basketball).

No districts play.

Play a nine game regular season to get championship games played over Thanksgiving weekend.

For the long distance playoff games (more than 3 hours travel time) play at neutral sites halfway between the schools.

Seed top 4 by in each region by Calpreps, Lit Ratings, and Cantrell average as they usually sync up by end of season.

Blind draw to fill out remainder of bracket.

If Coach J's method was used there would be a lot of crappy big schools with small schools begging to play them.

I'd guess that's kind of what happens in Ohio where the computer system determines who makes playoffs and you play in "conferences" (based totally on geography comprised of schools of various sizes) rather than "districts" based on a combination of geography AND class like we've done in Ky for as long as I've been alive.