Cowboys sign La'el Collins

Like it or not the NFL is a business. I would have spent a 7th round pick on him if I was any of the 32 teams.

Agreed. And reports are that he passed the lie detector and is not the child's father Maury. I'm no Cowboy fan but love the fact that the jackwagon Rex Ryan who, illegally mind you, had a covert meeting with him about going to Buffalo, misses out.

Agreed. And reports are that he passed the lie detector and is not the child's father Maury. I'm no Cowboy fan but love the fact that the jackwagon Rex Ryan who, illegally mind you, had a covert meeting with him about going to Buffalo, misses out.

I am not a Ryan fan but at least he was upfront about his contact unlike many other teams working the back channels.

I talked with a friend about Collins the night of the first round, I would have taken him late and maybe used him as trade bait if taking him didn't sit well with him. Think of the 2016 draft choice a team would have received in a trade. Probably a second rounder in exchange for a 7th round pick.

I hate that this makes Jerry Jones look smart when really it was all 32 teams looking dumb.

Furthermore, I wonder if the league secretly put out the word not to draft him on day two for any one of various reasons. When you don't trust the NFL (and I am on record many times saying I don't trust the NFL - but will still watch) anything is possible.

In no way was Rex forthcoming. He had no comment when asked if he met with him.

I hate it for the kid really. Now he has to play his way to any significant money.

Maybe at first, I really didn't follow it, but I did see where Rex admitted to having dinner with him.

In no way was Rex forthcoming. He had no comment when asked if he met with him.

I hate it for the kid really. Now he has to play his way to any significant money.

What are the rules/limits on paying rookie free agents? Can he sign a one year deal? Is there a limit to his signing bonus? How can this process be fair and protect the integrity of the game?

What are the rules/limits on paying rookie free agents? Can he sign a one year deal? Is there a limit to his signing bonus? How can this process be fair and protect the integrity of the game?
Yes, there's a limit. Each team has a cap of $86,957 to spend on signing bonuses for all of their undrafted signings. So, technically, if a team wanted to blow all their cap bonus on Collins he could earn a max of $521,957 his rookie season. A far cry from a 1st round deal.