Game takes back seat for Ashland, Boyd

I think this article speaks volumes about the players and coaches of Ashland and Boyd County. Game takes back seat for Ashland, Boyd; teams rally around Tomcats' Clark - Sports - The Independent Online

Ashland senior pitcher/center fielder Casey Clark learned in the middle of Tuesday’s game that his grandfather Ron Holbrook had died of a heart attack in Flemingsburg. Before Clark left the field, the Tomcats huddled on the mound for prayer — and after it concluded, the Lions joined them to exchange hugs and handshakes.

“I realize we’re district rivals, but we’re 5 miles apart,” Boyd County coach Brandon Ramsey said. “A lot of these kids play together in the summer and they all know each other, and a couple of them even play summer ball with Casey.

“They’re all friends, even though once we get out here, we want to beat each other probably worse than anything. But when it comes right down to it, there’s a lot more important things than this game.”

Tomcats skipper Jeff Wilcox echoed that sentiment.

“Boyd County showed a lot of class, coming over and being with us on the mound,” he said. “We play hard on the field, but that shows a lot of class. Other things are more important than the game of baseball.”

This doesn't surprise me at all. I got to know some of the Ashland faithful at the softball state tourn last year. They were a great group of people with a lot of class. I know Ms. Hensley's grandfather was one of them. What a character, that guy is like someone who walked straight out of the movies. True southern gentleman / Ky colonel type, laid back and full of fun and spirit. I hope someone on here passes a friendly "hello" to him from western KY.