NAIA scholarships

Hasbeen

NAIA is no different from NCAA DI or DII schools with athletic scholarship money. For someone who has ability, yes, partial scholarships are pretty easily attainable. But it will be very partial. In some cases, I have had kids with initial offers the equivalent of the school paying for their books! That's why it makes sense to have a LOT of schools interested, so you can have many offers, hopefully some larger than others.

With regard to most NAIA they don't give shcollies per say. They call them "perfomance grants" (at least in my experiences)

You don't see full rides given out by these schools, they get together a package deal which generally includes financial aid, student loans, academic money, and athletic grants. This is why it is so important to "make the grade". It will enable these such small schools to give you more money in the package.

You are correct, I knew guys who got $250-$500 a semester in athlectic money and then there were guys who got several $1000. One misleading factor when it comes to money is most of these schools cost around $10,000 or more per year.

They certainly do have "athletic" scholarships, and they certainly do have academic money, financial need based money, work study, etc. And they certainly do give full-rides in some cases.

KY Thorobred would know more about the schools in his neck of the woods, but my experience has been - even for basketball, that full-rides are not the norm. But hey, if you are an NAIA powerhouse, you get that way by recruiting top-notch DI type players. And you do that by offering full-rides. So what the heck!

Funny story - since basketball was mentioned. I was watching one of my kids last night, and a college coach introduced himself to me after the game - knowing I was working with this kid - and told me to stop telling other college coaches about him!!

NSR I like how you put "athletic" scholarship like that. I once played baseball at a NAIA school that i won't mention and my roommate had a full-ride men's basketball scholarship for baseball (never even talked to the basketball coach), and one kid that came in when I did recieved about a $5,000 music scholorship for baseball (I don;t think he even took a music class), and I took my grants and $2000 baseball scholarship...I have noticed that if they want you bad enough, they will find the money somewhere to get you to come there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...