Trading Johnny Cueto!

Is now maybe the time to reach out to the Dodgers with an offer to trade Cueto? They just lost McCarthy for the season and Ryu is still sidelined with a shoulder issue. Brittle Brett Anderson is their #3 behind Kershaw and Greinke. The Dodgers have unlimited resources and a healthy farm system and Cueto could give them what they need to run the table in the post season. What say you?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The earlier they do it, the better as far as return goes. However, as HT said, with the All-Star game in Cincy there is no way they move anyone significant until after the break IMO.

I think it would be slightly better but the team that gets him likely will be desperate to make the playoffs or have the playoff rotation in mind while trading for him. I don't think it would be significantly higher.

The Reds farm system has plenty of arms(all not ready but will be soon), but no bats. Losing Cueto, obviously will hurt because they don't come along that often, but they will be alright without him. Gotta get a couple of prospects that can hit for him. They are woeful in the farm system with hitters.

Think the Cubs would part with Bryant?

The Reds farm system has plenty of arms, but no bats. Losing Cueto, obviously will hurt because they don't come along that often, but they will be alright without him. Gotta get a couple of prospects that can hit for him. They are woeful in the farm system with hitters.

Not a chance.

In any normal year I would test the market no question. They won't do it because of the All-Star game.

What difference does that make? They've already sold the tickets for the All-Star events. The Reds will likely be 10+ games back and 10-15 games under .500 at that time anyway. Why not reach out now to a club that can afford it instead of waiting until Cueto goes down with an injury? What would you get for him then? The Reds know they have little chance of signing Johnny to a new contract.

Tickets are already sold for this year. There is not going to be a significant amount of walk up tickets sold with the product they are putting on the field. They took full advantage of the All-star game to increase sales and if people have tickets somebody will use them.

The Cubs are loaded with prospects. Would either team dare trade within the division?

I've frequently wondered that. The Cubs have plenty of high level prospects & the financial means to re-sign Cueto this offseason. Frankly, it makes a lot of sense but I don't think you can trade one of the best pitchers in the game to a division rival.

I'm fearful that Cueto will sign with the Cubs in the offseason either way.

The Reds farm system has plenty of arms(all not ready but will be soon), but no bats. Losing Cueto, obviously will hurt because they don't come along that often, but they will be alright without him. Gotta get a couple of prospects that can hit for him. They are woeful in the farm system with hitters.

The Reds actually have some nice hitters in the minor leagues, position player wise it's not as bare as some think. Do they have a bunch of A level prospects such as a Bryant or Russell? Outside of Winker they don't, but the Reds are loaded with B level prospects that could still be very good ML players someday. The Reds farm system overall is about middle of the pack. I agree that they need to acquire some superstar A level type prospects though to get excited about and build the future around.