Strawberries ?

hidinout

Seems to me the past few years the availability and cosmetic appearance of strawberries has been tons better ( and price is low ) , BUT the taste had dropped off terribly . They look fantastic but dont have much flavor or sweetness . Are they picking them too soon ? Are they too genetically altered ? Or is my tastebuds just wrong ?

Seems to me the past few years the availability and cosmetic appearance of strawberries has been tons better ( and price is low ) , BUT the taste had dropped off terribly . They look fantastic but dont have much flavor or sweetness . Are they picking them too soon ? Are they too genetically altered ? Or is my tastebuds just wrong ?

Strawberries, tomatoes, and most fruits and veggies are bred for uniform looks, and the ability to keep. Taste, especially if the produce doesn't keep well, is not as important. It's why I continue to grow fruits and veggies despite the extra work and expense I incur.

Years ago, my grandparents grew lots of strawberries. They were just as red, juicier, sweeter but smaller. The stuff we get now just doesn't have the flavor. My wife and I do hit the farmers' markets a lot. You might pay a little more but the locally grown fruits and vegetables are worth it.

We started growing strawberries in our raised garden last year. The first of the crop was very good, then we had no more strawberries. We thought deer or rabbit were stealing them until I found out it was on of my dogs who has a taste for strawberries. Needless to say we need to put a screen around them this year.

And BTW, I agree that local product is the best while it is available.

We started growing strawberries in our raised garden last year. The first of the crop was very good, then we had no more strawberries. We thought deer or rabbit were stealing them until I found out it was on of my dogs who has a taste for strawberries. Needless to say we need to put a screen around them this year.

And BTW, I agree that local product is the best while it is available.

When are yours usually ready?

I don't exactly remember from last year, but there are flowers and it looks like buds on the plants already....so I am thinking before the end of May....I will look at them again tonight.

There are two types of strawberries. "June bearing" varieties are the most common and bear one large crop over the course of a few weeks beginning in late May/early June. "Everbearing" varieties begin producing a little later, but bear a crop through late August, although the quantity decreases over the course of the harvest. Junebearing berries tend to be larger and sweeter than the everbearing varieties.