Time vs Money: Which is more valuable?

InItToWinIt

Which is more valuable?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more valuable?

I personally think time is more valuable.

For example, I asked my brother what he wanted for his birthday this year, and his response was a car wash. I said like a really good/expensive one? He said "No, I don't care if you do it yourself, I just want somebody else to take the time to do it."

Call him lazy, but I see the point. Time with family and people (at least to me) can be better than a check for $1 million (I think, I haven't gotten any of those yet... :D )

On the surface, it looks like an easy question with time being the answer. But without means your quality of life can be greatly diminished, which most of us truly haven't experienced true hunger, health issues we can't afford and even basic entertainment. It it is more equal to me after thinking about it.

You can really have so much of one it takes away the other.

The one thing about money is it can buy you time.

Have enough money, you can spend all the time you want with the people you want, doing the things you want. Sadly, I'll never reach that point. :idunno:

Don't sell yourself short, you never know what will happen!

I agree, and (I am stealing this from a post I read on BGP) I like how the phrase "Money is not everything" is, in general, only said by people for whom money is not an issue. It definitely is the only factor in almost all of the decisions that most people make on a daily basis.

I think it differs based on your current position in life. I can understand an older person arguing that time is more valuable than money, because that person has less time left. From my standpoint, a "young'in" coming fresh out of school, I would much rather accumulate money now at the expense of time. So, I would rather work longer hours and have less "free time" now, and accumulate the maximum amount of money possible at a young age so I have more opportunities available to myself later in my life.

I could be making 2...2 1/2 times my salary right now if money was the motivating factor for me. However, with that would come a much increased work load and far less time for my personal and volunteer activities, which are very important to me. So, while yes I would love to have a nicer/bigger house and a big new truck sitting in the driveway, time is more important to me.

My college economics professor laid it out in terms of mowing yards. He asked should you mow your own yard or not and how much is the maximum should you pay. Lets say I make around $35 dollars an hour for my time working and someone is willing to mow my yard for anything less than about $30 per hour I would be stupid to waste my time mowing and not paying someone to mow. If I make $12 an hour and someone wants to charge me anything more than that then I would be stupid to pay to have them mow for me.