Michael Brown's Family Will File A Lawsuit

Clyde

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the recourse legally for the city of Ferguson? Are their legal costs elevated or is there legal counsel already on payroll and their costs won't go up? And even so, is there a legal financial recourse for the city vs. the family if the suit is in favor of the city?

What is the recourse legally for the city of Ferguson? Are their legal costs elevated or is there legal counsel already on payroll and their costs won't go up? And even so, is there a legal financial recourse for the city vs. the family if the suit is in favor of the city?

I'm not a lawyer but I played on on TV...HEHEHEHEHE

I thought that government entities were covered under sovereign immunity and as such were immune from civil lawsuits unless it was determined that there was unlawful activity performed by the government entity.

Michael Brown was not indicted by a grand jury and even the Department of Justice who was quick to assume something untoward had occurred found no cause to bring charges against Wilson.

Despite the critical findings of that report concerning the Ferguson PD since there was no direct wrongdoing in the Brown case why do they have any standing in a law suit?

I just hope the city has to pay for Wilson's legal fees defending the charges. He has been totally screwed on this deal...had to quit his job and fear for his physically well being...and now have to defend himself against this ridiculous lawsuit.

They are asking for only 75K? What's the point of filing a lawsuit for 75K? This is as weird as Erica Kinsman suing Jameis Winston for 15K.

See Below

This won't go to court. The insurance company for the city will settle this pretty quickly.

It would cost the City more than that to defend this. Cities Insurance Carrier has probably already started writing the check.

Costs are elevated. It's possible that there's recourse, kind of unlikely, but yes, possible.

I'm not a lawyer but I played on on TV...HEHEHEHEHE

I thought that government entities were covered under sovereign immunity and as such were immune from civil lawsuits unless it was determined that there was unlawful activity performed by the government entity.

Michael Brown was not indicted by a grand jury and even the Department of Justice who was quick to assume something untoward had occurred found no cause to bring charges against Wilson.

Despite the critical findings of that report concerning the Ferguson PD since there was no direct wrongdoing in the Brown case why do they have any standing in a law suit?

Teehehe.

Probably should have studied harder for that role because I'm not positive that you are grasping sovereign immunity if I'm reading what you are saying correctly.

Not that I think Brown's family has a great suit or whatever, just that I'm not really sure sovereign immunity works like you are thinking.

Federal Tort Claims Act means no immunity for assault, battery, false imprisonment, false arrest, and some other things like those. Don't know about Missouri, but most States and even municipalities have something similar.

I just hope the city has to pay for Wilson's legal fees defending the charges. He has been totally screwed on this deal...had to quit his job and fear for his physically well being...and now have to defend himself against this ridiculous lawsuit.

Wouldn't his Union do that? Either that or if he didn't want the attorney they were offering, he could get one on his own.

I know it's unfortunate for Wilson, but there are also plenty of people who are falsely accused of things that eventually/inevitably have to pay for their own attorney-- they're called citizens.