55' - 6" Shot Put

Congrats to senior Branden Johnson of Dixie Heights who bested his own Dixie Heights record by two feet yesterday at the New Richmond Invitational.

One of the best in the state. Keep up the great work and continued success! :thumb:

That's a good throw. Anything in the mid-50's is getting it out there.

I was fortunate enough to have a daughter on the Mason County track team when Andy Fryman was throwing shot and discus. He won the AA state titles in both, as well as the Nike national indoors. Considered to be the best overall thrower in Kentucky state high school history - over 194' in the discus and over 65' in the shot.

Nice work!

So I've got to claim ignorance...I know virtually nothing about shotput. What's a good distance for throwing shot in high school?

You are not alone. In about 6 weeks we are going to find out about this years current class of shot putters at state. I knew it was a good throw when the end of the gravel shot field was less than 5 ft. away when his throw landed. And a 285 lb senior was jumping out of his skin smiling from ear-to-ear!

More importantly whether 55'+ throws or 30+ Branden is that athlete that looks out for everyone at the meet. He cuts up with the group helping to calm the jitters, throws the shots back to his competitors during practice. Encourages others on improving on their PRs ( personal records ). He is a solid christian student-athlete.

Branden won state twice in heavyweight wrestling. That additional state championship in shot put is high on his priority list.

You are not alone. In about 6 weeks we are going to find out about this years current class of shot putters at state. I knew it was a good throw when the end of the gravel shot field was less than 5 ft. away when his throw landed. And a 285 lb senior was jumping out of his skin smiling from ear-to-ear!

More importantly whether 55'+ throws or 30+ Branden is that athlete that looks out for everyone at the meet. He cuts up with the group helping to calm the jitters, throws the shots back to his competitors during practice. Encourages others on improving on their PRs ( personal records ). He is a solid christian student-athlete.

Branden won state twice in heavyweight wrestling. That additional state championship in shot put is high on his priority list.

55+ won it last year; however, Jake Glass from St. X has already had a throw of 58+ this year. It will be tough, but Branden certainly has a chance. All the best to him as he competes the rest of the season.

On aside note, Branden's 55-6 is the 3rd furthest ever in NKY. Troy Cooper of Brossart had a 58-5.5 in 2007 and Trevor Kraft of highlands had a 55-9 in 2013.

Edited by Oldbird
correct a mistake

55+ won it last year; however, Jake Glass from St. X has already had a throw of 58+ this year. It will be tough, but Branden certainly has a chance. All the best to him as he competes the rest of the season.

On aside note, Branden's 55-6 is the 3rd furthest ever in NKY. Troy Cooper of Brossart had a 58-5.5 in 2007 and Trevor Kraft of highlands had a 55-9 in 2013.

Thank you for the update Oldbird and the historical context. Going to be a lot fun to watch the likes of Branden and Jake down at state this year.

The detractors say stuff like, "the only thing more boring than track is field".

My dad was a track coach as a kid. I got to work at the (Maryland) state track meet back in the day as a teenager. I LOVE going to track meets. Something going on all the time.

The detractors say stuff like, "the only thing more boring than track is field".

My dad was a track coach as a kid. I got to work at the (Maryland) state track meet back in the day as a teenager. I LOVE going to track meets. Something going on all the time.

Lol, the thing about field eventers (throwers) we walk a different walk, almost barbaric, Viking lor. Our events once were used for the battle field. It's a pride and honor thing to see who throws farther, grunt the loudest. lol. Neanderthalic at its best, but those who throw understand, those who don't never will. :) 55 is respectful and takes not only strength, but quickness, athletic ability, and great technique. Throwers can be considered some of the most athletic on the track or field. Warner Gunther of Sweden, 6'4" 275, was a 70 foot Olympic shot putter (16lbs) not 12lbs HS. He could jump 7 ft in the High Jump and run 10.5 100 meter dash. Impressive.

Lol, the thing about field eventers (throwers) we walk a different walk, almost barbaric, Viking lor. Our events once were used for the battle field. It's a pride and honor thing to see who throws farther, grunt the loudest. lol. Neanderthalic at its best, but those who throw understand, those who don't never will. :) 55 is respectful and takes not only strength, but quickness, athletic ability, and great technique. Throwers can be considered some of the most athletic on the track or field. Warner Gunther of Sweden, 6'4" 275, was a 70 foot Olympic shot putter (16lbs) not 12lbs HS. He could jump 7 ft in the High Jump and run 10.5 100 meter dash. Impressive.

My dad was a football, wrestling and track coach. ALWAYS encouraged participating in multiple sports because of the transfer of training benefits. His heavy wrestlers (dad's "first sport") were often throwers on the track team and linemen on the football team.

My dad was a football, wrestling and track coach. ALWAYS encouraged participating in multiple sports because of the transfer of training benefits. His heavy wrestlers (dad's "first sport") were often throwers on the track team and linemen on the football team.

We didn't have wrestling at my HS, but I played football, hockey, basketball, volleyball (yes, in Canada we did have Varsity, lol) soccer. But of course, track was #1 for me. Team sports are great, but there's a lot to say, when that shot, discus, hammer, javelin lands and you have the farthest throw, the congrats and accolades that came with being #1 was reward in itself for the hard work in the weight room and in the circle, hours on hours, days in days out. :) no one else could ever take that away from you. You can play 100% in a team sport, give your all, but still lose. This was my way to say, I'm king of the hill, knock me off if you can. That's in itself is a rush. A rush I know track and field athletes get to feel every time they go to a meet. :) I'm sure Brandon felt that way when it hit 55!! Congrats Brandon, great job.

Edited by Jayhawk95
Spell check

Yes, always something going on whether it be events, getting loose, checking team standings, talking with other student-athletes...and very laid back.

High level of good sportsmanship as well. I'm encouraged each week by the consistent high fives and accolades shared between competitors at the end of each event. :thumb: