Browns sign TE Rob Housler

Housler was a free agent formerly with the Cardinals. The 6' 5", 250 lbs TE signed a one year contract for $1.76 mil. He is a better pass catcher than anyone on the Browns roster since Jordan Cameron left for Miami.

This will relieve the pressure to draft a TE in a class with few to choose from. They may still do it but it isn't as glaring a need now.

QB... now that's a different story.

Visited with the Ravens and Bengals too. I assume he comes to Cleveland as the starter and the money was superior to the other two teams.

I think the QB to start the season has to be Johnny Football, right?

I would think it's his to lose.

Housler was a free agent formerly with the Cardinals. The 6' 5", 250 lbs TE signed a one year contract for $1.76 mil. He is a better pass catcher than anyone on the Browns roster since Jordan Cameron left for Miami.

This will relieve the pressure to draft a TE in a class with few to choose from. They may still do it but it isn't as glaring a need now.

QB... now that's a different story.

I meant to say a better pass catcher among TEs on the roster.

Visited with the Ravens and Bengals too. I assume he comes to Cleveland as the starter and the money was superior to the other two teams.

I think the QB to start the season has to be Johnny Football, right?

I don't think that is a given. His off field problems and the horrible way he played when given opportunity last season casts a pall over him. He will have to earn the spot. I think the Browns brought McCown in to start at the beginning of the season and mentor whatever young QBs are on the roster. While not ideal, I think the Browns believe McCown can get the job done given the right tools around him in the right system. The Browns are hoping that Manziel pans out and can start or at least take over the position during the season, but I don't think they are betting on it. I thought they would make another move on the QB position during the off season. Lots of rumors were that they were trying to trade for Sam Bradford before he went to Philadelphia and have made offers after he's gone there and so far Chip Kelly has refused.

So if another QB doesn't come through FA or a trade, that leaves the draft. I think Jamieson will go #1 . Will Mariota go#2? I don't think he will drop to#12. Browns new QB coach was the guy who got Mariota ready for the combine so he knows him well. The Browns have already decided whether he will be a franchise QB or not. If they think so, they will trade up for him. My hunch is they are not going to reach for a qb this year. They will look to pick up a lesser qb in the draft and develop him. The Eagles could put together a trade to get in position to pick Mariota or someone else may. I think there will be some movement early on draft day. The Browns and Eagles are two clubs that may be players in that.