The line between recruiting kids to AAU teams

shew this conversation is hot ..

On another subject when is it a fine line to recruiting players for a team? When a player has been with a program for two years why do "certain programs" feel the need to still call and get that kid to play? Thoughts..

On another subject when is it a fine line to recruiting players for a team? When a player has been with a program for two years why do "certain programs" feel the need to still call and get that kid to play? Thoughts..

We had 2 kids recruited off of our roster literally in the middle of a game last weekend.

In the past, the Travelers recruited Carson Williams off of our roster and we tried to recruit him back.

It's the nature of the beast. If you aren't trying to improve your program through talent acquisition and player development, then what are likely to end up very far behind. For me personally, I evaluate kids and go after them if I think they can help. No different than colleges recruiting kids. It's important to have options.

In my opinion when dealing with a kid, parents should be the point of contact. Invite them to join your program, tell them why you think they should, be ready to give accurate details re costs, tourneys you plan to attend, and be honest. I don't see any reason that a program can't ask a player to join them and leave it at that. Also did I mention to contact parents first.

In my opinion when dealing with a kid, parents should be the point of contact. Invite them to join your program, tell them why you think they should, be ready to give accurate details re costs, tourneys you plan to attend, and be honest. I don't see any reason that a program can't ask a player to join them and leave it at that. Also did I mention to contact parents first.

As far as the kid he is talking about goes, all contact is through parents. I only go to kids if I cannot get information for the parents first.

Allow kids to be kids.

We had 2 kids recruited off of our roster literally in the middle of a game last weekend.

In the past, the Travelers recruited Carson Williams off of our roster and we tried to recruit him back.

It's the nature of the beast. If you aren't trying to improve your program through talent acquisition and player development, then what are likely to end up very far behind. For me personally, I evaluate kids and go after them if I think they can help. No different than colleges recruiting kids. It's important to have options.

I heard about that, I was so hoping that it was not true. That is beyond ridiculous...

I have a problem with adults approaching kids. Parents should be the first point of contact.

Hasn't every kid on every AAU team been recruited from another team? A large majority of these kids have been playing AAU since they were in middle school or before. Hoop Dreams just started a middle school program last year. The Travelers has 16 and 17 only. Manimal has 17 and that's it. Louisville Magic has 15 and 16 this year. WKY Elite has 15,16 and 17. The list goes on and on. Unless a program can boast about having so and so since they were 10 years old then chances are all of these teams recruited their kids from someone else right? :lol2:

Edited by PurplePride92

In the middle of a game? Wow! I'm shocked at that. As a coach I could never do that. I coach a 7th grade team and honestly I don't feel comfortable recruiting any of the players that are in my area and already on another AAU team. Now if they come to me first. That's a different ball game. I always try to look else where first. But, I also do my recruiting at the middle school level and always start with the middle school coach. I'm sure this will change as we get older. But for now. That's how I do it.

In the middle of a game? Wow! I'm shocked at that. As a coach I could never do that. I coach a 7th grade team and honestly I don't feel comfortable recruiting any of the players that are in my area and already on another AAU team. Now if they come to me first. That's a different ball game. I always try to look else where first. But, I also do my recruiting at the middle school level and always start with the middle school coach. I'm sure this will change as we get older. But for now. That's how I do it.

The opposing coach was literally recruiting them in the middle of the game. We beat them and the coach continued to recruit them after the game.

Since then, that program has kicked two kids off to make room for the two they recruited from us. So 2 kids thought they were going to Dallas this weekend to play in front of coaches and are now looking for a team.

Incidents like this are why AAU has a bad reputation.

Another reason why fees need to be paid in full. I'm not looking forward to the time we start giving players free rides to be on our team.

It sucks to have to go back and find replacements for those kids that left.

The opposing coach was literally recruiting them in the middle of the game. We beat them and the coach continued to recruit them after the game.

Since then, that program has kicked two kids off to make room for the two they recruited from us. So 2 kids thought they were going to Dallas this weekend to play in front of coaches and are now looking for a team.

Incidents like this are why AAU has a bad reputation.

That is crazy. And here I was thinking the recruiting efforts were unsuccessful. And kicked two kids off to make room? Dang. Cold world.

In my opinion as long as the kids and their parents fulfill their financial obligations they can do what ever they would like. Im sure most AAU programs have a no refund policy, so if they still want to move to another team without the refund that is fine.

In my opinion as long as the kids and their parents fulfill their financial obligations they can do what ever they would like. Im sure most AAU programs have a no refund policy' date=' so if they still want to move to another team without the refund that is fine.[/quote']

That is basically all that can happen.

My concern is that the elite players that are getting free rides to play. I expect that to happen but I don't know how teams can survive if they do this.