Pacers' Chris Copeland stabbed, 2 Hawks arrested in NYC club incident

Pacers' Chris Copeland stabbed, 2 Hawks arrested in NYC club incident, according to report - SBNation.com

Indiana Pacers forward Chris Copeland was stabbed and his wife slashed by a knife in a New York City nightclub incident on Wednesday, according to a wild report by the New York Daily News. Two Atlanta Hawks -- Pero Antic and Thabo Sefolosha -- were also reportedly arrested on charges of obstructing justice as a part of the incident.

A suspect in the stabbings was arrested, according to the Daily News. There's no word yet on the severity of injuries for Copeland and his wife nor whether Antic and Sefolosha remain in custody.

Hawks were in town playing Nets and the Pacers were playing the Knicks tonight. Im sure they were partying on the plane ride up to NYC and then hit the clubs as soon as they landed.

Drinking past 2am .....nothing good comes of it.

"Sefolosha suffered a fractured right fibula and ligament damage early on Wednesday morning in New York. Police reports state that Sefolosha was interfering with the establishment of a crime scene and resisting arrest following the stabbing of Indiana Pacers forward Chris Copeland outside a Manhattan nightclub. Hawks center Pero Antic was also arrested.

But two videos have surfaced on TMZ that raise questions about the specifics at the scene. The most recent video appears to show Sefolosha being wrestled to the ground by five uniformed officers, after which one officer swings a baton forcefully at Sefolosha's lower body."

Further, Sefolosha was not treated for any injuries after the arrest and had to seek treatment on his own.

I'll revise my statement in #7 and say that someone is about to have a very, very bad day.

"Sefolosha suffered a fractured right fibula and ligament damage early on Wednesday morning in New York. Police reports state that Sefolosha was interfering with the establishment of a crime scene and resisting arrest following the stabbing of Indiana Pacers forward Chris Copeland outside a Manhattan nightclub. Hawks center Pero Antic was also arrested.

But two videos have surfaced on TMZ that raise questions about the specifics at the scene. The most recent video appears to show Sefolosha being wrestled to the ground by five uniformed officers, after which one officer swings a baton forcefully at Sefolosha's lower body."

Further, Sefolosha was not treated for any injuries after the arrest and had to seek treatment on his own.

I'll revise my statement in #7 and say that someone is about to have a very, very bad day.

I was really struggling to sort all of it out when I read this part of the story yesterday. So cops (?) or somebody breaks Thabo's leg, then cops don't let him seek medical attention for it. That's a high-priced asset right there whose career is 100 percent reliant on continued health, and bad leg injuries are a major job hazard.

I was really struggling to sort all of it out when I read this part of the story yesterday. So cops (?) or somebody breaks Thabo's leg, then cops don't let him seek medical attention for it. That's a high-priced asset right there whose career is 100 percent reliant on continued health, and bad leg injuries are a major job hazard.

Don't matter to Thabo, officer probably doesn't have insurance and won't be able to pay out what he will probably owe on the injury. Good luck collecting what you could get out of it on the guy's salary. Department will probably settle out of court, so he'll have to get his payday there, then we'll have people talking about money hungry attorneys and "thousands of officers do their jobs right and no one writes stories about them" from the BGP faithful, plus a few people saying, "but... the DA". Well, except that this guy doesn't have to be greedy and has his own money, he'd just like his leg not to be broken.

Moral of the story: officer broke a guy's leg, takes him to jail and it isn't treated overnight. Leg probably could have been treated and the injury wouldn't be as bad if it'd been taken care of properly. Just turns out that this guy was someone who could afford a good lawyer... whoops.

I really doubt that the NBAPA would be getting involved if there weren't something to this.

This thing is going to end up real messy.

Thabo released a statement today. Already an IA investigation and the police officers have got representation. They'll probably need it. There are two videos released, and I don't think the video linked here shows him being struck with a baton, but there's still a question of how his leg ends up broken and why it went untreated overnight (especially considering it'd need to be set, etc.).