NKU Hires John Brannen

D-Rob

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read this as well. Seems to be a good fit for everyone. He gets to use years of assistant coaching experience in first head coach position just minutes from where he grew up. Should be able to recruit local kids well and hopefully some southern kids from his time at Bama

Not a bad resume for the 1992 Newport Catholic grad.

Associate Head Coach Mens Basketball

University of Alabama

May 2009 – Present (6 years)Tuscaloosa, Alabama Area

John Brannen is in his fourth season on the Alabama coaching staff as the program's recruiting coordinator after serving in the same role on Anthony Grant's staff at VCU.

Last season, Brannen assisted in directing the Crimson Tide to the NCAA Tournament, which had not been done since the 2006 season. Additionally, Alabama won over 20 games for the second consecutive season and advanced to the Southeastern Conference Tournament quarterfinals.

In Brannen's second season at Alabama, he helped guide the Tide to a 25-12 record and an appearance in the NIT championship game and an SEC Western Division crown. Along the way, the Tide's defense became one of the best in the nation while making Coleman Coliseum one of the most hostile home courts in the country with UA posting a 19-0 record at home.

His efforts in recruiting have also drawn wide acclaim as he helped the Tide land the nation's No. 5 recruiting class in 2011.

Assistant Men's Basketball Coach

Virginia Commonwealth University

May 2006 – 2009 (3 years)Richmond, Virginia Area

While at VCU along side Head Coach Anthony Grant, he helped coach the Rams to three straight conference titles and postseason appearances including two NCAA Tournaments. In addition to my recruiting duties, he focused on player development, scouting and game preparation.

He continued to develop my reputation as one of the nation's premier recruiters in landing a recruiting class that was ranked in the top 20 nationally in 2007. He followed that up with a 2008 class that was ranked third among mid-major programs by rivals.com and a 2009 class that was ranked fifth.

In addition to recruiting the Rams' championship teams, helped coach the program to a 76-25 record in his three seasons with 12 players earning All-Colonial Athletic Association honors including two-time CAA Player of the Year Eric Maynor.

St. Bonaventure University

2003 – 2006 (3 years)Olean, NY

Involved in coordinating the Bonnies’ world-wide recruiting plan. In the first recruiting season, he helped by adding six new student-athletes to the rapidly growing St. Bonaventure-program.

Eastern Kentucky University

2000 – 2003 (3 years)Richmond, Kentucky

Spent three years as the top assistant at Eastern Kentucky University, where he helped attract back-to-back recruiting classes ranked among the top-100 in the nation by Hoop Scoop. With the Colonels, was responsible for recruiting, academic mentoring, scheduling, the program’s summer camps, along with strength and conditioning.

Marshall University

Business Administration and Management, General

Rhodes Scholar finalist that received postgraduate scholarships from both the NCAA and Southern Conference.

Athletically, he led the SoCon in scoring his senior season (1996-97) by averaging 20.9 points per game and was named the league tournament MVP. He began his collegiate career at Morehead State before transferring to Marshall where he scored 1,008 points in just two seasons.

Following graduation from Marshall, he played two seasons professionally in Belgium's First Division, earning all-star honors and serving as a player-coach.

Wow. Really happy for John, who I've know for 2 decades. Should be a strong hire.

That said, I'm shocked it wasn't Steele...

You and me both...met John at Boo Williams a couple years ago with Anthony Grant and have thought highly of both ever since but I figured if Travis interviews, it was his job if he wanted it.

Great hire, regardless.