Great story on Campbell County's Austin Myers

Myers completes dominant career

LEXINGTON, Ky. – In past years, Austin Myers was at least a little disappointed when he didn’t pin his opponent.

As he got closer to history, winning was the only thing that mattered, and the Campbell County High School senior didn’t mind that his final high school match went the distance.

Myers beat Brandon Reed of Iroquois 15-4 in the KHSAA state championship match at 220 pounds March 11 at Alltech Arena. He finished 60-0 for the season, winning his fourth state title and finishing undefeated for his entire high-school career in Kentucky.

“I did my goal, four-time state champ,” he said. “It’s always what I wanted to do since I was a kid. Every kid wants to be a four-time state champ.”

Among his five wins in the tournament, Myers had two extremely quick wins of 12 and nine seconds. He pinned one opponent in the second period. His quarterfinal foe was ranked second in the state by KentuckyWrestling.com, and Myers shut him out for a 16-0 technical fall decision.

In the finals against Reed, his foe’s main priority seemed to be playing defense and preventing Myers from getting him on his back. All four of his points came when Myers let him free for a one-point escape, and Reed was unable to try any offensive moves on Myers.

“Most people who wrestle me, they just want to try to make it through the match,” Myers said. “He was stalling a little bit, but I’m used to it. He did a good job.”

Myers said he was enjoying himself during the tournament, and during the meet he seemed to smile more often than the more serious-minded competitors throughout the state.

“You have to have fun with it or you really won’t do it,” he said. “That’s why kids sign up for wrestling, to have fun. As long as you’re winning, you’re having fun. I knew I was getting closer to achieving my dream.”

Myers has a busy season coming up in the sport, with three separate out-of-state competitions coming up in the next month. Next school year, he will attend West Virginia University, part of a 12-member recruiting class that is ranked fifth in the nation, he said.

Myers will miss his time with the Camels.

“I’ll remember we won the team title my freshman year,” he said. “Every year has been a great year for our team. It’s a dream come true. I’ll always remember my teammates. We have a lot of fun.”

The Camels finished fourth in the team standings and had five other state placers.

Two Campbell County wrestlers started the night by falling in their state championship matches. Sophomore Tanner Yenter (51-10), ranked fourth going in, lost to top-ranked Saul Ervin of Union County (63-1) 5-2. Sophomore Brady Wells (44-6), also ranked fourth, fell 14-5 to top-ranked Jorge Vega of Fern Creek (54-1). Yenter knocked off foes ranked third and fifth earlier in the day, and Wells beat the third-ranked wrestler in his class, 5-0, in the semis.

Eli Matthews finished fourth at 182, falling in the semifinals in overtime. Bryan Spahr was seventh at 138, winning three consolation bouts after losing in the second round.

Dakota Lillie finished eighth at 120, winning four consolation matches after losing in the first round.

State results

Tanner Yenter (106): 4-1, 2nd place, Brady Wells (113): 4-1, 2nd place, Dakota Lillie (120): 4-3, 8th place, Bryan Spahr (138): 5-2, 7th place, Jarrod Stadtmiller (160): 0-2, Elisiah Matthews (182): 4-2, 4th place, Brett Graziani (195): 2-2, Austin Myers (220): 5-0, State Champion, Jordan Mason (285): 2-2.

The most dominant athlete I've ever seen at the high school level, regardless of sport. And I'm not saying he's the best ever, or even close, but he was on a completely different level than anyone else.

I never watched the kid so I can't say if he's the most dominant. The most dominant NKY athlete I have witnessed first hand is Kirsten Allen.

I never watched the kid so I can't say if he's the most dominant. The most dominant NKY athlete I have witnessed first hand is Kirsten Allen.

I'm sure there have been others just as dominant. If you want to see him wrestle, you can find plenty of his matches online.

Unbelievable accomplishment and career!

I think he is the only four time champion in state history.

Was this article in the print paper? I do not remember seeing it, if not it should've been, maybe even front page of the sports section!

You're killing me, holmes. You can't think of another NKY wrestler who won 4 times? Not even one?

Was this article in the print paper? I do not remember seeing it, if not it should've been, maybe even front page of the sports section!

Came from the online version of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

You're killing me, holmes. You can't think of another NKY wrestler who won 4 times? Not even one?

I know who you are thinking I do not think they did. From what I understand, Myer's is the only one in the state to ever do it. I could be wrong because I am not a wrestling historian.

I know who you are thinking I do not think they did. From what I understand, Myer's is the only one in the state to ever do it. I could be wrong because I am not a wrestling historian.

Incorrect. I'll have a Conner history lesson later.

Rob Clarkston won in 78,79,80, and 81. Came in 2nd in 77.

There are others as well.

Well, I was wrong, I thought when I was talking to the wrestling coach's son he said Rob won three not four. I should be ashamed and I am....

I think theres only been 4 statewide ever.

I know last year Brock Ervin was the first ever 5 time Champion.

John Fahy was a 4 time champ from Trinity.

RJS help me out Im almost sure theres one more.

Learning new new stuff all the time. Is Myer's the only one to go u defeated four years? Maybe that is where I got confused, well one of many places...

Saw this list on a wrestling forum from 2005.

Brock Ervin, Union County: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

John Fahy, Trinity: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

Harrison Courtney, Woodford County, Coach: Joe Carr, State Champion in 2006 145 LBS, 2007 145 LBS, 2008 145 LBS, 2009 160 LBS.

Isaac Knable, St. Xavier, Coach: Jim Kraeszig, State Champion in 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002.

Joe Carr, Jr., Woodford County, Coach: Joe Carr, State Champion in: 1993, 1995, 1996, and 1997.

Robbie Clarkston, Conner High School, Coach: Wayne Badida, State Champion in: 1978, 1979, 1980, and 1981. Robbie was also a Runner-Up as an 8th grader in 1977.

James Earl Hardin KSB won state in 64,65,66,67