Who Has a Bird Feeder in Their Yard?

formerkywrestler

Does anyone have one? What's your setup like? What species have you saw? I put up a suet feeder with a high energy cake in it on Monday and just got a normal bird feeder delivered yesterday. I think I'm going to start that one with black oil sunflower seed.

So far I've had a female Hairy Woodpecker visit the suet feeder and a ton of Starlings (:angrybird1:).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep a bird house hanging in a tree and also set out piles on the ground sometimes. Lots of cardinals, blue jays and woodpeckers. I chase the starlings away. Hate those birds!

The piles on the ground also provide entertainment as I watch to see how bad the birds want the seeds while my cat lays in wait nearby.

Hummingbird feeders are only supposed to be used Memorial day to Labor day. I have one hanging in that time frame in front of my kitchen window.

No wonder I haven't seen any hummingbirds in a couple of months. Just kidding, my hummingbird feeders are not out now. They are my favorite feeders though, I love watching the hummingbirds. I did get a purple martin bird house for Christmas I can't wait to put out. I also have bat houses around my woods.

So far I've had a female Hairy Woodpecker visit the suet feeder and a ton of Starlings (:angrybird1:).

I chase the starlings away. Hate those birds!

I have a suet feeder and a thistle feeder. Been pretty lucky with the Starlings, If they find your block they will nail it in a day.

Get yourself an air-rifle. They're an invasive species from Europe, and so long as you have a hunting license, you can kill them all day every day. No bag limit.

Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources: Other Hunting Seasons

Get yourself an air-rifle. They're an invasive species from Europe, and so long as you have a hunting license, you can kill them all day every day. No bag limit.

Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources: Other Hunting Seasons

If I shoot the starlings will it scare away any other birds?

I realize that could be a really dumb question.

We had to get rid of ours because of the deer. I stood one day and watched a deer knock the bird feeder around to get the seed on the ground and ate it all. We had a few that hang on shepherds hooks and a few that hung low from tree branches (on these, deer would stand on their hind legs and knock the feeder around to get at the seed as well). They would just destroy the feeders. You would think my wife's flowers would be enough, no they wanted the bird seed too.

If I shoot the starlings will it scare away any other birds?

I realize that could be a really dumb question.

Might spook them for a couple hours...maybe a day at most. So long as you're collecting carcasses in a prompt manner it shouldn't be much of a problem. I've killed a dozen or so deer on the same deer trail, and more than once it's been in the presence of other deer...but they keep coming back.

Plus in your situation, you've got food there to "bait" the other birds into coming back again. PLUS starlings are big bullies (as are bluejays, which you most definitely aren't allowed to shoot)...when starlings are around in numbers more than one or two, I'd be surprised to see many birds of other species around in the first place.

Might spook them for a couple hours...maybe a day at most. So long as you're collecting carcasses in a prompt manner it shouldn't be much of a problem. I've killed a dozen or so deer on the same deer trail, and more than once it's been in the presence of other deer...but they keep coming back.

Plus in your situation, you've got food there to "bait" the other birds into coming back again. PLUS starlings are big bullies (as are bluejays, which you most definitely aren't allowed to shoot)...when starlings are around in numbers more than one or two, I'd be surprised to see many birds of other species around in the first place.

Sold. Any recommendations -- preferably with Amazon Prime. :)

My shot is about 10 feet away so obviously I don't care much about a scope.

I have multiple birdfeeders and birdhouses...love this thread:

I have two large birdfeeders at work that I keep supplied and at home I have 1 large (same kind) and I have a small bird/finch feeder, and I hang out suet.

Especially when it has snowed, we see a lot of different birds so we keep a bird guide next to the kitchen window which overlooks the feeders. There is everything from Blue Jays, Cardinals, Sparrows, Doves, Starlings, several kinds of woodpecker (Red Headed, Red Breasted and a small one..I forget the name), different species of finches and in season a lot of Goldfinches. I do NOT see at the hanging feeders Robins or Bluebirds, however there have been as many as 50 Robins in the yard at a time. I put in a Bluebird house (cavity nest) last year which immediately became home to Bluebirds and I put in a Purple Martin house as well, but the Purple Martins checked it out but didn't nest...maybe this year. I did have frequent visits by the Purple Martins who buzzed my yard and field which is pretty cool if you have seen them.

I also put out a Hummingbird feeder, and I see one morning and evening if I am at home during the season, and they liked a red plant on our deck.

Otherwise, I also have a fair amount of wild Turkey who visit my field along with Hawks and Buzzards. There is a small lake about 1/4 mile from my house which apparently is on the goose flyway because there is constant traffic and noise of coming and going Geese of all kinds.

We had to get rid of ours because of the deer. I stood one day and watched a deer knock the bird feeder around to get the seed on the ground and ate it all. We had a few that hang on shepherds hooks and a few that hung low from tree branches (on these, deer would stand on their hind legs and knock the feeder around to get at the seed as well). They would just destroy the feeders. You would think my wife's flowers would be enough, no they wanted the bird seed too.

I sse this as well...I put corn out every night for the deer, but a couple of them would rather eat from my birdfeeder it appears.