Updated Maher Rankings

The Maher Rankings have been updated as of Saturday morning. Please take a look, and let us know what you think.

Maher Rankings | Category Archives: Kentucky Boys Basketball 2015key3 geo1 | key1, geo1 | , geo1

The Maher Rankings are a purely statistical, objective sports ranking algorithm. The Maher Rankings have been calculating rankings for high school soccer in Kentucky since 2011, and in Ohio since 2013. The rankings have been adopted by the Kentucky High School Girls Soccer Coaches Association and have been cited regularly by the Louisville Courier Journal. In 2015, we took our first foray into basketball.

The system is based on the relative strengths of the opposing teams in each match. The chance of winning a game against a certain opponent depends on the strength of your team and the strength of your opponent. The system compares these chances with the actual result, and uses the difference to adjust each team’s ranking heading into the next game.

Chicago de La Salle slipped thru my out of state filter. They played two games over Christmas break against #11 Hopkinsville and #29 Holmes, and lost them both. That almost like saying their average opponent is #20 (not quite as simple as that, but close), that's why their schedule strength is so high. Still, with only two games, I need to get em outta there! That is basically the reason I don't attempt to do out of state games.