What's Your Favorite .22 Rifle?

Colonels_Wear_Blue

I inherited a J. Stevenson Arms and Tool Company breech load single shot. Stainless and walnut. from 1943.

Was told by a gun dealer that they used to sell them in hardware stores. You would walk in and they would be in a big pickle barrel for $2.00. He got his first one when he bought a case of oil. It came with it.

Took me 2 weeks to get it to fire, but it is a cute little "pop" with no kick. Probably weighs 2 pounds.

Looks incredible hanging on my wall in the office.

I personally have a Ruger 10/22 and a bolt-action Marlin 925 (formerly called the 25M, now called the XT-22).

I bought the 10/22 first for plinking. Got it because of how widely available after-market parts were for customizing...but in the end only customizing I've ever done was to add a nylon bolt buffer and a rubber buttstock pad that extends the length of the buttstock by about an inch. I had a Simmons 22 MAG scope on it, but my brother needed a scope for his 10/22 when he first bought his and I lent it to him, never to get it back, haha.

I bought the Marlin 925 for squirrel hunting. I also mounted it with a Simmons 22 MAG scope (in my opinion, when you take the $45 price tag into account, there isn't a better hunting scope out there for a .22 rifle). That rifle/scope combo is INCREDIBLY nice considering the fact that they can both come off the shelf and have you shooting the lights out without any customization to speak of.

Ruger 10/22 IMO best .22 for the money

Hunting, Plinking, shooting the neighbors dog (J/K) it does it all well. Prices start around $200 and go up from there.

Have one in a WMR version with a nice Nikon scope. Dead on!

Also have a Marlin Golden 39A mountie for lever action fun. A few cheapies as well.

My older brother was qualified expert as a marksman in the Army, and he's a geek for target shooting. He has a Ruger 10/22 refitted with a bull barrel and an 18" fluted stainless bull barrel and a synthetic stock. I can't recall the optics he has on it...but that thing...wow. I literally saw him ear-hole a squirrel with that at about 106 yards (we measured it off after the fact).

Personally, I've always wanted to get a Henry Golden Boy, but I had the opportunity to shoot one a few years ago, and was really disappointed at how uncomfortable it was to shoot. The amount of drop it has at the comb was crazy...

I also have a friend who has an old Remington Fieldmaster pump action. That thing it TONS of fun to plink with. I think if I'm going to spend $400-$500 on another .22, it's going to be on a Fieldmaster instead of a Golden Boy.

My favorite is a Remington 511 Scoremaster that is almost 67 years old, made in Aug 1948. Bolt action, 6 shot clip. They were manufactured from 1939 - 1963. This particular one belonged to my grandfather and I used to admire it when I was a kid. He left it me when he passed and it is without question the one gun that I would never, ever part with.

I also have a Marlin 25MN in .22Mag that I just picked up that is in mint condition. Bolt action, 7 shot clip. It is the 1998 version of the 925 that CWB mentioned. I'm looking at scopes right now. Cabelas has caliber specific scopes that are nice, and the 22Mag version is on sale 50% off for $49 right now. (I just checked and that scope is back to regular price of $99)

I have a fun little 9 shot revolver made by NEF that is awesome for the money. My youngest loves that thing.

I have a 50 year old Marlin that my Dad and I used to shoot when I was a young kid. I have been stockpiling .22 rounds for a while now...so I can go out and take a few shots now and then.

How many rounds do you have? They were hard to get for awhile. Bought a few chunks when field and stream opened.

I'd like to find one of those SA22's, doc. Great guns. New ones are just cost prohibitive for a 22 rifle though for me.

You got rid of the Sweet 16 didn't you?

I did. Traded it. It was a good investment for me considering what I paid for it and what I upgraded to.