Trinity Notebook: Rocks face Henderson County Friday night.

thsrocks

Trinity (5-5) lost 17-14 at Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller (7-3) and faces a road trip to Henderson, KY for their first round playoff game. Henderson County (5-5) is the number 2 seed from District 1. Trinity is the number 3 seed from District 4. The winner gets the Male (10-0)/Marshall County (2-8) survivor.

Henderson County is led by running back Damion Carter, a 1,000+ yard rusher. Richard Carter is the Colonels QB, who has more than 1,000 passing yards. Kobe Carter is Henderson County’s leading receiver with more than 60 catches for 800+ yards. Henderson’s defense has allowed 1,300+ passing yards and 1,400 rushing yards. Henderson County’s stadium field is grass. The Shamrocks have met Henderson County only once before on the gridiron. The game took place at Commonwealth Stadium in 1976. Trinity won 28-24 to claim the AAAA State Championship. This was the school’s fourth football title.

Here is a recap of the out-of-state teams Trinity played earlier this season.

Ensworth (TN) is now 8-1 after defeating Brentwood Academy (TN) (8-2) 31-17 last night.

Carmel (IN) remained undefeated at 12-0 after their 14-7 first round playoff victory over Fishers (IN) (7-4).

Imhotep (PA) is currently 8-1 and hosts Overbrook (PA) (4-5) on Friday.

Colerain (OH) is now 7-3. The Cardinals won their 15th straight Greater Miami Conference title when they defeated Oak Hills (OH) (2-8) 22-0 last evening.

Cocoa (FL) is now 8-1 after the 40-0 victory over Jones (FL) (4-5).

Cathedral (IN) is now 5-5 after their 70-0 playoff victory over Anderson (IN) (5-5).

Archbishop Moeller (OH) is 7-3 and earned a home playoff game for the first round of the Ohio Division 1 playoffs Friday.

The in-state opponents finished as follows:

St. Xavier (6-4), Male (10-0) and duPont Manual (7-3). The overall record of Trinity’s opponents is 78-21 or 73-16 when removing the games with Trinity.

I remember someone posting this stat once when Henderson was going to play another Louisville school a few years ago.

Trinity HS and Henderson HS are 135miles apart. When Trinity makes the trip they will only drive in KY for 15 miles of the 135. The rest is driven in Indiana. Hopefully they get lost. :D

A Commonwealth Stadium 1976 State Championship game rematch, thanks for the history lesson thsrocks!! Never would've known that! :thumb:

If I recall correctly that was the first year of the merger of Henderson City High and Henderson County High in the current Henderson County High School. Seems like Henderson had the lead late but gave it up on a Trinity fake punt? I was only 1 then so my memory is a little foggy.

If I recall correctly that was the first year of the merger of Henderson City High and Henderson County High in the current Henderson County High School. Seems like Henderson had the lead late but gave it up on a Trinity fake punt? I was only 1 then so my memory is a little foggy.

I was pretty young then but I'm pretty sure the halftime score in that game was also the final, 28-24, if memory serves...

I was pretty young then but I'm pretty sure the halftime score in that game was also the final, 28-24, if memory serves...
I could definitely be thinking of a different game or could have been told wrong. Again I was 1 then so definitely didn't see the game.

I could definitely be thinking of a different game or could have been told wrong. Again I was 1 then so definitely didn't see the game.

Your memory serves you well. The halftime score was the final score. A photo of the scoreboard at the half appears in the Trinity yearbook for the Class of 1977.

Your memory serves you well. The halftime score was the final score. A photo of the scoreboard at the half appears in the Trinity yearbook for the Class of 1977.

I was there. Trinity was down 24-14 at one point in the first half. Late in the half Trinity lined up for a tieing field goal, ran the fake, and scored to go up 28-24. That was the final.