Class 3A Preseason Football Rankings

theguru

1. Belfry -- OPEN

2. Bourbon County at 5A Montgomery County (8/23)

3. Central vs. 6A #5 Manual

4. Paducah Tilghman vs. 6A #8 McCracken County (8/23)

5. Bell County at South Pittsburg (TN)

6. Monroe County vs. 3A #9 Wayne County

7. Corbin vs. 5A #2 Pulaski County at Somerset

8. Mason County vs. 2A Newport

9. Wayne County at 3A #6 Monroe County

10. Garrard County vs. 3A Casey County

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks good. The only thing I see is that I would have Central ahead of Bourbon.

I could go either way.

Nothing but respect for Central... and their merits lend itself to giving them the benefit of the doubt. With that said, Central was probably the 4th or 5th best team in 3A at the end of the season and they graduate a ton of talent including their elite set of LB's who basically carried a team that was not very good offensively. Even with an offense that struggled they lose a great deal (6 Starters I think)

Bourbon has proven themselves the past two seasons and was IMHO about even with Wayne County as the 2nd best team in the State in 3A. This is a team who was went 28-0, aside from two very competitive losses to Belfry, and have obliterated everything in their path. The Colonels returned enough firepower on their own merits that they would have probably been the #3 team, but to add 6 or 7 transfers including the Bolin kid definitely gives them a strong argument.

Just my thinking but:

- Paducah Tilghman is a wild card. Not only may they warrant their #4 ranking...but with the talent they have every year if someone dials the right combination they may win the whole thing. On the flip side, I find it hard to rank them that high. Tilghman is the most schizophrenic team in the State of Kentucky and last year they were a very flawed team who had a weak region and a South Warren team that they beat on a controversial call that was very weak offensively. Wayne County then thumped them. PT lost a lot from last year. Rogers may be the cure they need, but I am taking a wait and see approach with a Coach who has not advanced past the Regional Finals.

- Love the Garrard program but think the Lions are more towards the 15-20 area of 3A than the Top 10. I look at teams like Pike Central, South Warren, Russell, and Etown and simply see much more returning talent and athleticism. Throw on top of that the fact GC just lost an excellent coach in Scenters.

- Pike Central would have been a no-brainer Top 10 pick until all their off-season drama. They still have one of the best QB's in 3A and his favorite receivers returning.

- Etown is a team to really keep an eye on... they return almost everyone including an elite crop of speed... they also add an excellent Coach.

I would flip Central and Bourbon, and also flip Mason and Monroe. Another good looking pre-season list.

I think the concern with Mason County over the health status of their quarterback is what may have led to their lower ranking. If he's healthy, they're higher. And I suspect that they'll be higher as the season goes along.

- Etown is a team to really keep an eye on... they return almost everyone including an elite crop of speed... they also add an excellent Coach.

I'm really intrigued by Elizabethtown. I thought they made a nice move last year after several down seasons. Hiring Brown, with his history of success, makes me think better days are ahead.

Just my thinking but:

- Paducah Tilghman is a wild card. Not only may they warrant their #4 ranking...but with the talent they have every year if someone dials the right combination they may win the whole thing. On the flip side, I find it hard to rank them that high. Tilghman is the most schizophrenic team in the State of Kentucky and last year they were a very flawed team who had a weak region and a South Warren team that they beat on a controversial call that was very weak offensively. Wayne County then thumped them. PT lost a lot from last year. Rogers may be the cure they need, but I am taking a wait and see approach with a Coach who has not advanced past the Regional Finals.

- Love the Garrard program but think the Lions are more towards the 15-20 area of 3A than the Top 10. I look at teams like Pike Central, South Warren, Russell, and Etown and simply see much more returning talent and athleticism. Throw on top of that the fact GC just lost an excellent coach in Scenters.

- Pike Central would have been a no-brainer Top 10 pick until all their off-season drama. They still have one of the best QB's in 3A and his favorite receivers returning.

You said it with E-town. They are locked and loaded skill wise. Billings had them on the right track going 6-5 last year, and they return the house for the next two years (sophomore dominated last year, especially at the skill spots). Mark Brown knew exactly what he was stepping in to and he will do great with them.

Berneil Cecil might be the best RB in the state for the Class of 2016. If there is a better RB in the Junior class, I haven't seen him.

Some other darkhorses:

-Lawrence County. You heard it here first.

-Henry County. They had Corbin down at the half in the first round last year and they return practically everybody.

I'm really intrigued by Elizabethtown. I thought they made a nice move last year after several down seasons. Hiring Brown, with his history of success, makes me think better days are ahead.

There are four teams on their schedule that propose any sort of a threat to them.

Central

Henry County

South Warren

Glasgow

I'm saying they go .500 in those four games at the very worst, and that's no disrespect to those schools. I just think they are that good.

I'm saying 8-2 for E-town at the very worst.

They weren't going to be down for long. Those two bad years in 2011 and 2012, they were just down (even though they had the states leading passer and leading WR in 2011)....small numbers in particular. But, you are also talking about a school with very proud basketball and baseball programs...they were about as bad as they've ever been in a long time, too.

If there is a better RB in the 2016 Class...I need to see him. Here is Cecil's sophomore highlights from last year.

#22 - 2013 Sophomore Year - Berneil Cecil highlights